Adapting to the climate in Belize

Hello everyone,

Adjusting to new climatic conditions is key in any expatriation process. Moving to Belize is no exception.

What are the climate characteristics of Belize?

How does the local weather impact your daily life, mood or health?

What are the pros and cons of the climate in Belize?

Share you advice and help people adapt quickly to their new weather environment.

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Think Southern FL - warm, so times hot, lots of humidity.  The biggest difference is that there isn't a big cool-down at nights.  Fans and breezes keep you comfortable.  You learn quickly what to wear and what not to sport around in.

Hi Priscilla...adjusting to the Belizean heat has been the most difficult adjustment for me...I own a home and have Summer's there and it has been very trying.   I am over sixty and find my thermostat has changed tremendously...I can't tolerate it...I have to sleep with wet towels and a fan directly in front of me...October thru April are better for me...the high humidity is another factor...even when it's  cloudy I feel tired ...I do have a Canadian friend who loves the heat and lavishes the direct sun.   The mosquitos are another big problem.  Be prepared to spend a fortune on repellents as well as sunscreens...if you are adaptable and adventurous you may do better...good luck and enjoy because there are some beautiful sights!

Okay - this response is very generic.  The climate is very different from Corozal to Szn Ignacio to Placencia to Punta Gorda.
Highs in Corozal are way more intimidating than in Placencia.  Nights are way cooler in San Ignacio than in Dangriga.  Punta Gorda is far more wetter than Belize City.
Please - no broad brush strokes. 😎

Good Morning, coming from Arizona the humidity was stifling. Recently I have moved from Progresso to Punta Gorda. Cooler evenings in Punta Gorda, and more rain. Can always escape to the highlands from PG, not so in Corozal District.

I live in placencia near the ocean we have beautiful breezes where we are which keeps the temp down a bit. The highest temps are high 80 or low 90 usually at 11-4 on cloudless days .. I lived in Fla three times both east and west coast ... it was stifling compared to here. The bugs are also much worse in Flas, here they are a problem after dark especially rainy season ( summer) I can eat outside until the sun sets then its a problem... I love it here hope this is what you are looking for,,

You mention escaping to the highlands. What are the highlands in Belize and how much cooler do they get? We are planning on roosting in the SI area, but I'd like to know what cooler options might be available. Thanks!

Hola, Punta Gorda is consistently four degrees cooler than Progresso. You can check out several different websites for current weather conditions. I use weather channel, Google, and Belize news.

What is the weather like on Ambergris Caye? The bugs? Does it cool down at night? Breezes?
Thank you for and replies!! I'm moving there as soon as I sell from CA

Good Morning, I made a mistake. Normally the higher you go the cooler it gets? I have been tracking Big Falls temperature to ours in Punta Gorda ever since I did the post. Big Falls has been a couple of degrees warmer during the day, and evening. Maybe not enough elevation to make a real difference?