Your nationality

Olivier started an interesting topic in a non-english speaking forum, I'll try to translate it in English.

Well, that's a complicated topic but it can help to understand each other. Please note that I don't want to start a polemic! I hope my English is good enough to talk about this complicated subject.

What makes you feel American, British, Japanese, Italian, Spanish, Australian, South African, Russian (...etc) ?

Is it just your passport? Or your language, your culture, your origins?

Could you give up your nationality for another one? What makes you proud of your nationality, as somebody living in a foreign country?

I dont know if I feel really a spanish. Not at least as other people feel it (all that nationalism matters that are very common nowadays in Spain) . But I noticed that the most time I spend outside the most I miss Spain, specially my city Madrid. Is not a matter of family or friends (of course I miss them also). I miss the people, the environment, the nature of the people... I think that is the reason because I feel Spanish, because I really miss the country.

Julien wrote:

Is it just your passport? Or your language, your culture, your origins?

Most definately not just your passport! I would say your origins, mixed in with the culture you live in. Hard to explain.

For example. If I changed my passport to Japanese (would need to renouce my British 'Nationality' to do that, as Japan does not allow dual/multiple nationality), I would still never consider myself Japanese. Japanese people would never consider me Japanese either!
Here in Japan, your blood is very important.

In the UK, less so. For example, ethnic Indian's, now in third generation who consider themselves British rather than Indian (or maybe Indian British). That's kinda like the way I consider myself to be Welsh British. I am a 'ethnically Welsh' member of the nationstate/culture of Britain... maybe :P:D

I think becoming an expat makes you even more aware of your nationality.
For example, when I left Wales to work in England, I became more aware of my Welsh roots.
Living in Japan makes me more aware of my Welsh and British roots. I feel proud to explain the good things about the UK to Japanese people who are interested to learn. I feel even more bad about the bad things in the UK.

Well, for Gavin it seems to be  easier to define his "belonging" to a certain group in a nation. But how do people with a mixed ethnic background maybe even  in a third country fit into the picture?

Living here in Canada, being German/Vietnamese makes me what?

Is there a "my" country as Spain is for tazair for everyone?

More than anything I think it is the cultural values we have imbibed which enable us to identify with a place. But do we necessarily have to?

Same problem as Pia, being French and German and living in Mexico. So I really don't know. I have to add that I'm a big fan of all things British (yes, even the food), and I would have loved to grow up in, let's say, Liverpool, but as it is, all I can do is to spend some afternoons in the local British Council...

pia wrote:

Well, for Gavin it seems to be  easier to define his "belonging" to a certain group in a nation. But how do people with a mixed ethnic background maybe even  in a third country fit into the picture?

Living here in Canada, being German/Vietnamese makes me what?

Tough question. A question I can't answer! To me, I would say you are German/Vietnamese. But the point is, it's irrelavent in a way what I think you are. It's what you think you are.

I wonder what my kids will be. Will they think themselves as British? Will they think themselves as Japanese? Will they think themselves as half-Japanese/half-British? Will they even think themselves to be any kind of national label?
Then, as well as what they will think they are, you will have the perceptions of the those people around them.
Naturally, depending on which country they are brought up in, will also play an influence into their own thinking when they grow up.

pia wrote:

Is there a "my" country as Spain is for tazair for everyone?

More than anything I think it is the cultural values we have imbibed which enable us to identify with a place. But do we necessarily have to?

Interestingly for me, even though I think myself as being British... is Britain still "my" country. Sometimes, when I'm there for business, I don't feel like I belong anyway. The same happens when I'm in Japan.
I think my wife is finding it the same, but in reverse. Since we moved to Japan (returned in her case), she's not really found Japan to be fully her country anymore.

Its a bizarre feeling. Maybe my wife and I should move to another country, and both be complete outsiders :)

My personal feelings: I feel French because of my education and culture. And my language too. Even if I've got Spanish origins. I will always be a foreigner when I am in Spain. It's actually different for my girlfriend, she got spanish origins too, but as she perfectly speaks the language people think she's Spanish.

I grew up in France, and I feel French everyday even I don't agree with politicians and even if I am not proud of the French history and decisions (the nuclear tests :mad::mad::mad: )

It's actually quite interesting to get an "outside" vision from your home country.

One day I may try to get a double nationality (French/Spanish), but I am quite sure I'll never give up my nationality :rolleyes:

But at the moment ... it's time for me to travel a bit a think :D

Julien, how long does it take to become spanish citizen?

Well well...
For once, I'll go simple: I was born in Angola from Angolan parents and Angolan grandparents. Now, my great-great-grandfather was Portuguese, great-great-great-grandfather was German/Danish.
So far, I am so totally Angolan! :D Although some "geniuses" back in Angola don't consider me an Angolan because I am Mixed (go figure) and/or because I lived more abroad than inside.
I was raised Angolan, no matter where I am living. But I've always been in French schools abroad, so I had a French education. But Angola is Angola. No matter how, no matter where. I am Angolan.
And since the end of the war (April 4th 2002), patriotism has become a second part of us. Clothes and flags have never been this praised!
A cousin of mine said, in Paris, that it was only when he left Angola that he discovered how African he was. And I have to agree with him. Before coming to France, I was in South Africa, Angola was a 3h30-long flight away. Now that I am here, and that Angola is so very away, I got more Angolan in spite of the fact that I am well adapted in French lifestyle (I've been educated for that, me thinks :p).

It was only when we left our country, that many of Angolan youngsters started to love our flag, learned our national anthem and our history.

It's never too late, eh? ;)

I don't really know.. I've been away from Holland for 18 years now. When I go back, I feel Dutch.
I consider to apply for the US citizenship next year, but I would keep my Dutch passport and have dual citizenship. The only reason for becoming American is a practical one. No more hassle with renewing the green card..

Gary, I told my brother who lived 10 years in Portugal to have a Portuguese passport. He didn't want. I so can blame him! It's not about being Portuguese, it's about having an easy way to get in and out Europe. In all, I lived 8 years in Europe and asking for a visa or a permit is always a pain... :S

You're right Jo Ann.. All the administrative barriers that we expats have to cope with can be a major PITA. If I can reduce this by applying for citizenship, I'll do it :)

I've always felt European because I grew up learning two other European languages in school. Ever since I've lived in the UK, I actually feel British. I know nobody else who actually holds a British passport would say that they are British. I live in England and love Scotland, too. (I cannot say much about Wales and Northern Ireland because I haven't been there yet.)

I absolutely love the UK, the landscape, its friendly people, the food, the cities, my new hometown, the TV programme, the supermarkets (especially Tesco's and Morrisons), the language, the various different dialects and finally, I just enjoy living here. So yes, I want a British passport. I would totally give up my German nationality but since my mum asked me not to do it, I will apply for dual citizenship.

Your culture and ancients i think.

I am Australian born of Australians, 5 generations, originally from the UK. I have lived in the UK, US and now Malaysia. I miss home and my family often. I will always be Australian. I love the beaches, the laid back way that people communicate, the seafood, the climate and the sheer beauty of the country. Although I have visited many beautiful places around the world, my heart belong to Australia and the more the years pass, the more I know that I will want to be in Australia when I die. There is no place like "home" for us all.

Find activities and meet other expats

OR