Olympic ban

Listening to the radio news this morning and heard that the Russian field and track athletes team has been banned from the games.

stumpy wrote:

Listening to the radio news this morning and heard that the Russian field and track athletes team has been banned from the games.

I read the same, it has to do with doping. I read there's more to come. What a mess, this is all bad timing.

Supposed to be about doping, but I'm willing to bet politics are in there somewhere.

Well don't worry the state of Rio don't have any money to hold the game's so everyone might just have to go home, and come back next year and try,
from the BBC
Rio state declares 'public calamity' over finances

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-36565901

The piece says 'the local government totally naffed up their finances' funding is available from central government.

the one thing about governments,
so we will see
only time will tell

The Olympics will come and go , then everyone will forget about it and the citizens of Brazil will be left with a debt ....that's all

Fred wrote:

Supposed to be about doping, but I'm willing to bet politics are in there somewhere.

Possibly (even likely perhaps), but I feel pretty certain that it is indeed based primarily on doping, as it's recently been found that there is widespread doping going on with Russian athletes, both amateur and professional (e.g Tennis star Maria Sharapova and former Olympic gold medalist boxer Alexander Povetkin have recently been banned/disciplined for testing positive for Meldonium.

hi,

yes. the russian athletes have been banned for rampant doping allegations against the russian olympic committee. some clean athletes, however will be allowed to participate under the IOC banner

Norris

they call it doping because only the dop's get court

The TV news last night in NZ stated that NZ Olympic hopefuls were to make themselves available for potential selection as there was talk of banning the whole Russian team.

hi stumpy,
yes, there have been talks of banning the whole russian team. but then there is also the view that why should the clean athletes should suffer? so i guess a complete blanket ban on russians will not come. the russians will compete under IOC banner

norris

I see the top golfers are pulling out too. 
With the lack of security and other problems these Olympics are going to be known for all the wrong reasons.

The problem is even the organisers have admitted security and traffic concerns. in fact the governor of rio was the first one to admit!
I am in two minds too - to go or not to go!
waiting for the best

Well seeing how the Doping Lab has been closed in Brazil. It will take weeks to find who is doping so I think they all should be tested and when the results are returned all the medals will be returned.

stumpy wrote:

I find that interesting as it comes with news of Russia's lab being closed down, the press making it sound as if Russia alone has a problem.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/25/sport … .html?_r=0

About a quarter of the lab suspensions published on WADA's website have taken place in 2016. In the last three months alone, WADA announced more suspensions than it had in the preceding three years combined. Those suspensions — of antidoping labs in Beijing; Lisbon; Madrid; Bloemfontein, South Africa; and now Rio — affect more than 10 percent of WADA's testing facilities.

No doping scandals in these countries?

A quick 'google' show doping problems and tampered samples, but hardly a mention to be had that doesn't mention Russia as Satan, even though Russia is nothing to do with the other problem labs.

If I was to put my tin foil  hat one, I'd suspect there was a political motive behind much of this.