Do you feel taken advantage of? You should!

Brazilians are famous for the insidious practice of "gringo goughing", they've done it for decades. In fact, in most Brazilian cities especially tourist destinations there are three different prices for everything; one for local residents, another yet higher price for Brazilian tourists and a third higher still for foreign tourists (GRINGOS). It's so bad that if you live in a resort city you need to carry a utility bill with you at all times to prove that you live in the city just to insure that you don't get ripped off by paying the higher prices. I know because I've experienced this many times and flatly refuse to pay the higher prices and never frequent the establishment again.

So, this is the extra price you're paying for coming to see the World Cup, this is the way that Brazilians are REALLY treating you, not so warm, friendly and receptive after all. You're seen just as a "walking wallet" (bolsa andando) by most of them, who are out to extract their pound of flesh. DISGUSTING, but completely typical Brazilian behaviour.

The photo below show just some of the price hikes for the World Cup, once you're gone things will go back to their "normal" prices; well at least for Brazilians it will. You foreigners here can count on still being goughed.

http://s2.glbimg.com/3tnPsKHmMXoVOeEQlKy-3CcxaZQ=/0x0:300x140/300x140/s.glbimg.com/jo/g1/f/original/2014/06/23/inflacao-da-copa.jpg

This is just the tip of the iceberg, if you buy a beer and hotdog inside the stadium you'll get stung for R$16, if you had bought that in a luncheonette anywhere in São Paulo a month ago it would have cost you the whopping sum of R$6 all told. If you had parked your car in São Paulo's downtown core for a full day a month ago you could count on paying somewhere around R$30 or so. It isn't bad enough that in most of the WC host cities that hotels that once charged R$125 per night for a room are now charging around R$400 or more.

Way to go Brazil, just think of the way this is going to destroy the image of this country as a tourist destination all around the world. Brasil, mostra a tua cara!!!

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

http://riotimesonline.com/wp-content/themes/stylebook/timthumb.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Friotimesonline.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F06%2F917390-copa_ingresso_filas_6.jpg&q=90&w=795&h=470&zc=1

Many fans who have had their tickets to World Cup matches stolen and sought relief from the police posts at the stadiums seem to be out of luck at reaching any kind of solution.

While FIFA states that purchasers can re-print lost or stolen tickets until the night before the match many have been unable to do so.

Others, who have had their tickets stolen in the vicinity of the stadium aren't doing much better either. Police take a report, but beyond that are doing absolutely nothing.

What I can't understand no matter how hard I try, when every ticket bears the name of the purchaser, the seat and section number; then why don't the police simply show up with the real ticket owner in tow, and arrest the people sitting there for receiving stolen goods or for theft (when it can be proven that they were actually the ones who lifted the tickets)?

What good is it having police there in the first place if they're not going to do their duty and the job that the taxpayers of this nation pay them to do??? Could it be that all of a sudden robbing foreigners is no longer a crime? If somebody lifted the ticket(s) purchased by President Dilma Rousseff, a state governor, or other political figure, would the police sit on their collective behinds doing nothing, or would the do exactly as I've suggested??? I think the answer to that one is OBVIOUS.

Cheers,

This is true in a lot of the world.  You pay based on your race or nationality.  It seems strange to us because that's completely illegal where we come from, but it's just they way they do things all over Asia.

Absolutely true Hailey. It doesn't get any easier to accept this practice no matter how much we understand it however. But as you so rightly point out, since in many countries it either isn't a crime or even when it is nobody enforces it, there's not a lot we can do about it.

While the practice is a clear violation of all of the consumer protection laws here in Brazil, FIFA and anybody remotely connected with the tourism industry here in Brazil gets away with it, because the government turns a blind eye to ripping of "gringos".

xxx ooo,
JJ

They only want your money because you're a billionaire who comes from a place where the streets are paved with gold.

Heck girl, I must have been raised on a street that wasn't even paved with scrap iron then!

Our street was dust in summer and mud in winter...

Wow Stumpy, just like most of the streets here in Brazil then?

Hi, it's been a while since I last visited this site and I must say I've learned a LOT but many questions go unanswered. My biggest peve is when I meet other expats, including those of my country, They seem very distrustful. While the initial hello goes well enough, it ends with the Brasilian "apparenca me casa". This is a cultural thing, you can spend an entire day with a Brasilian and at the end everyone says this but no names or numbers where ever exchanged. I get why Brasilians don't trust one another--but expats??????

Hi exnyer,

I really don't think that this "aparece na minha casa" that never materializes is really more cultural thing like the universal Brazilian "air kisses" than it is a sign of distrust. It's just something they say and do because that's what everybody else says and does.

Like Southerner from the USA and "Y'all come back now, hear?" and they couldn't really care if they ever see you again or don't even know if they ever will, it's just habit.

Y'all come back now!

Hi exnyer, have you read "how to be a carioca"? If not, you should read it. I friend gave it to me a long time ago, the first time I visited Rio. I've read it several times since and it makes me laugh every time. "apparenca me casa" (or whatever) is one of the phrases that is humorously discussed. I think every culture has meaningless expressions that people say out of habit.

@James Nice Graph, but I live in an area where I am the only non-native born Brazilian for miles away. It is a small village of no more than 2,000 people in Northeastern Brazil..  In fact, unless they hear me speak English they would not know. Sorry that this is happening.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

@roddiesho Hello please note that this is an old thread and sadly our dear James passed away a couple of years ago.

We recommend members not to revive old threads.

Thank you in advance

Bhavna

@Bhavna Thanx, but there is no way to know. A simple "this Thread Is Closed for Comments". should do the trick. You Tube often shuts down comments, even though they run the video.