Reefee Box? - sorry about the spelling

Am in Tripoli just now and heading to he desert in a week or so. Some ex-pats passing through have mentioned getting a Reefee box - which I understand is some kind of mobile wireless internet dongle.

Just wondering if anyone here a: knows anything about it and b: can let me know if there are any issues I should be aware of before parting with my yet to be hard earned? - lol.

Any info on where to buy, formalities, and cost to operate would be greatly appreciated.

My laptop is running Windows7 by the way.

Cheers boys 'n' girls

blah blah blah............

gelincek wrote:

blah blah blah............

Helpful - thanks :)

Fifer wrote:

Am in Tripoli just now and heading to he desert in a week or so. Some ex-pats passing through have mentioned getting a Reefee box - which I understand is some kind of mobile wireless internet dongle.

Just wondering if anyone here a: knows anything about it and b: can let me know if there are any issues I should be aware of before parting with my yet to be hard earned? - lol.

Any info on where to buy, formalities, and cost to operate would be greatly appreciated.

My laptop is running Windows7 by the way.

Cheers boys 'n' girls

Don't take that, if someone has told you high speed internet connection then they are making a fool out of themselves. Because Rifi is a good for nothing a88888 that apart from the phone line is f'all

Thanks for the reply Firefox - not sure about the value of what you've said other than to pick up that you think this is crap!.

Useful contributions gladly accepted.

Cheers

Can you not just get a Wimax dongle?

Hi Kes - if I knew that this was going to work in the desert (Amal site) - then I would sort out getting one - but people I'v spoken to say this 'reefee' box is the one to get.

I know how WiMax works as I'm in IT - but never heard of 'reefee' or whatever it is. I'm guessing it's just another type of wireless internet dongle - but unless I can speak to someone who knows about this - I don't seem to be getting anywhere fast - lol.

Hey ho - lol

Sorry bud, can't help you, I only have a Wimax and it works fine in the city centre and surrounding districts. No clue whether it will work for you that far out.

Maybe you could try their helpline, it'll probably be like pi55in' in the wind mind.

Fifer, your company should provide you with internet connection in the field. They should be able to hook you up with their satellite connection. I don't see the point of purchasing a rifi box for that reason unless they say internet is on you!

Well I don't know much about it but "Reefee" is basically just an ordinary phone line through a wireless receiver box. You can hook up an ordinary phone and also hook it up to the computer (through USB I believe), which I *think* you need to for whether or not you have any intention of using it for internet because filling up balance is done through the computer.
And of course you get the ability to connect to the internet. The process and speeds are pretty comparable to dialup although technically I don't think that's what it is.
It costs 70 dinars for the box and 20 for top-up cards. Internet is something like 0.4 or 0.5 dinars per hour. You have to go to the phone company for the box, balance cards can be found at calling centers or internet cafes.

Hope this helps.

ThurayaDSL provides Internet connectivity through a small and mobile terminal the size of a notebook, offering high-speed 144 kbps connectivity anytime and anywhere in Thuraya's coverage area. Especially ideal for corporate customers, government agencies and news-gathering agencies, ThurayaDSL is a cost effective solution for their high-speed data requirements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurayahttp://www.ts2.pl/en/Thuraya/Libya

Helps?

In my humble opinion Thuraya isn't really worth it Mo, unless his location doesn't get a reefee signal AND he really needs the internet. Since people are recommending that he buy a reefee box I'm assuming that area is covered by a signal. Thuraya's connection speed is faster, but not by much (144 compared to 96kbps).

This Reefee actually they call Wireless CDMA telephone.
It's wireless local loop telephone works only in a city for which you've subscribed. It's actually the telephone works like land line phone and can be used for Internet through it.
But this Internet is sucks, slower than the old age dial-up connection because it is wireless and dial-up is on wire.

Otherwise WiMax works all over Libya wherever its coverage is. But we have in one of our site in Ghani using this Reefee telephone Internet, altelast something is better than nothing :).

Another thing I forget to mention, we are using external antenna in desert for it to work, antenna costs LD 50/=

the word "reefee" means "rural" in English. so it is used to describe this wireless telephone which intended to be used in rural areas where wired connections are impossible