Satellite TV in Libya

This may be of interest to anyone wanting satellite TV channels.

I have 2 x 90cm dishes, one fixed and locked on the W6 satellite, the other dish is motorized and I can get three other satellites with this:

- HotBird

- ASTRA

- BADR

These are hooked up to a standard digital satellite decoder unit (no need for a Smart Card or subscriptions) and the motorised dish is easily moved to saved settings via a remote control.

NileSat on the W6 gives you hundreds of channels including the usual movie channels, sports channels are also found on W6 and Astra including many normal pay-to-view channels.

BADR is a load of bollox and nearly all Arabic.

The cost of this setup is a one-off LYD 450 with no monthly subscriptions.

If you want to bring your Sky box to Libya, you will need a BIG dish from a premium manufacturer such as ChannelMaster. Minimum 3.1m will be required for decent reception.

I gotta say Sandman, you are a freaking treasure trove of useful information and tips.  So glad to be getting this info BEFORE we move.  Makes planning and prep so much easier!

justice4pal wrote:

I gotta say Sandman, you are a freaking treasure trove of useful information and tips.  So glad to be getting this info BEFORE we move.  Makes planning and prep so much easier!

If anyone needs details of the installer, please PM me.

A friend of mine is getting sky no problem on a 2.4 m dish, these are available locally for 325LYD, and you can get one of the guys with a pick up to deliver it for you for approx 20 lyd

If you can get Sky do you subscribe in the UK?

Also interested in the arrangements for getting Sky from the UK - need my football and rugby fix

JackR wrote:

Also interested in the arrangements for getting Sky from the UK - need my football and rugby fix

Yes you can bring your Sky box but you'll need a decent sized top quality dish. A 3.1m ChannelMaster is recommended. Let me know if you want more info.

I have just had my dish delivered so will let you all know if it works ok once installed

Oi Oi Geoff! :)

As a footnote, for those of you having to make the sometimes weekly, sometimes daily trip to the satellite shop to get your cards/boxes updated, please contact me if you would like to cut out the middleman and find out how to update yourself :)

Like the pic flipfinger, I will be doing a bit of that myself later;)

Just to update, we got our 2.4m dish working but could do with just tweaking it a bit, as our satellite guy ripped us off and has still not been back to fix it, so if anyone knows a good guy who can sort us out and not rip us off we would be all ears, our Sky HD bow still won't work, but we will reserve judgement until we make sure the dish is pointing the right way.

Is anyone aware of the existance of MultiChoice or DSTV in Libya?

smart1 wrote:

Is anyone aware of the existance of MultiChoice or DSTV in Libya?

Just looking at this one myself....

DSTV isn't officially available in Libya, BUT

There is good satellite coverage.

- Bring your DSTV box and card, have someone set up a 90cm or 120cm antenna and bingo!

Hi Flipfinger - i would like to hear more about how to update the box and cards.

Also what cards are there available and how to buy / acquire them??