Trash in Panama

Hello, My name is Sandra. I am thinking about retiring to Panama but, I keep reading about garbage in Panama. It seems to be a problem. I would like to know the truth about this---is there any place in the country where garbage is not a problem? Are there places cleaner than other places in the country? What about Bocas del Toro? Boquete? David? Pedasi? Any clean beaches?
Thank you

The people are just being aware of that problem. Think USA 1970. Beaches are better away from cities. My opinion. David

Thank you for your reply. But, I would also like to know--is the entire country trashy? Are there places to live kept clean? Can I go to Bocas del Toro and enjoy the beach? Do you live in Panama?

I found Boquete to be relatively clean, cleaner than many NA cities I've visited. Panama City is dirty in places, much more so than Toronto for example. Probably less so than Detroit but it's been years since I've been there. The shoreline in Bocas was littered with floating trash where we were, but the pacific beach La Barqueta was pristine.  So you can't generalize. Generally speaking there is less of a public sense of responsibility about litter than is found in Canada and probably in much of the US as well. But if a clean environment is important to you, you can find it in Panama.

It's an interesting phenomenon in Panama we've noticed over the years.  The people take great personal pride in their appearance, both personally and of their possessions (homes and cars).  But when it comes to anything else, the tendency is to just chuck the trash...  stuff thrown out of car/bus windows and household garbage thrown into the public collection of roadside trash.   It doesn't seem to penetrate the consciousness that it is degrading their collective appearance and overall environment.

Hi we noticed it as well. But even where we live, Canada and US we see people throwing their garbage roadside  and out of vehicles. I find it most disturbing in North America when people throw their cigarette butts instead of using their ashtrays.  We also noticed several tourists in Panama throwing their garbage and butts to the roadside.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I am really interested in a beach with clear water and no trash. I keep hearing horror stories about the trash in the county.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I am really interested in a beach with clear water and no trash. I keep hearing horror stories about the trash in the county.

I don't know what horror stories you have read, but in most cases it is no worse than many areas in BIG city USA or Canada. Sure there are pockets of this occurring, but it is not to the level you may think. We live in Pedasi on the Azuero Coast and although we do have beach cleanup days, it is because of the trash coming on the beaches from the ocean, not trash that people leave behind. The town itself is very clean, there are trash barrels all over and people use them. Pedasi and most of the cities we have visited all over Panama are generally cleaner than many places we use to frequent in the U.S. Throw in that the people in the interior are definitely more friendly than the people in the U.S. OK, if you go to Coronado or Boquete, which are 90 % Expats, you do not need to speak Spanish, things are more expensive and you will have trash. Go to the interior, small towns and villages, they are clean and friendly.
For more information about Panama, check out my wife's blog: www.ourthirdlifepedasi.com for the truth.

Panama has discarded trash practically everywhere for one reason:  locals.  Whether it is intentionally discarding debris anywhere and everywhere or refusing to clean up their property due to actions of other locals, the unsightly result is the same.  In my experience rural areas are the trashiest as no one cares enough to do anything about it and changing attitudes are all but impossible.  Then again, in the ghetto areas of Panama City locals literally carry their trash to the street or sidewalk and dump it.

As far as cautioning against generalizing, some of the cleanest areas I've seen are in Panama City, such as at higher end condo buildings and other residential residential areas and the nicer end shopping malls in Panama City  where developers and owners take efforts to keep the premises clean.

It's really a situation where, if facilities are available for collection and disposal of trash, people will use them.  Thus, higher end residential areas and gated communities with trash collection will be generally spotless; same with nicer shopping malls and commercial centers.  But as soon as these facilities are not available, like the poorer sections of the cities and in small towns and rural areas, the locals will chuck their garbage wherever it's convenient and where everyone else is also chucking theirs.  Basically it's a matter of providing for trash collection or the lack of planning and oversight by those in charge.

Exactly !!

Look into Panama Pacifico. We live here And it is kept pristine clean. But the neighboring town Vera Cruz and their beach are very very littered, but you likely wouldn't spend any time there. You can drive and hour to Coronado or elsewhere and enjoy a much nicer and cleaner beach.

I have been to beaches in Corondao and Punte Chame and they are pretty clean

We first came to visit Panama in 2004 after visiting every country in Central America. At that time Panama was very trashy for us but not as bad as El Salvador.
Another visit in 2010 and a remarkable difference in how much less trash we saw, Returning in 2014 a complete change. We drove across Panama and saw very little trash. Like the US it takes a generational mind set to change. Yesterday we did a round trip bike ride from David to Las Olas to the beach and saw hardly any trash at all.

With all due respect friends I think you really ought to upgrade to some higher octane glasses, cuz it has not gotten better at all. This country is trashed out from one end to the other, with a few notable exceptions like Boquete and Pedasi and even tourist free Gualaca in Chiriqui. Bocas, unfortunately, despite all its international influence and flavor is full of trash. But at least some years ago the foreign, mostly gringo community managed to get the old traditional dump moved from right in front of one Panamas most famous and serious waves to somewhere in the middle of the island away from populated andmuch visited areas........The other day we hiked most of the way up vulcan Baru from the steeper Vulcan side, and we saw garbage strewn about on both sides of the trail at least 4 kms up the mountain.......Dont know how it is on the Boquete side, but there is more of a ranger presence there so hopefully it is better maintained.....but the trash situation in this country is critical and its enuff to make a potention immigrant rethink his/her decision to move to Panama or even encourage one to just flat out leave it behind and go in search of a clean better organized latin american tropial  country.....I found Ecuador to be far far more organized and disciplined in respect to cleanliness than here in Panama. Impeccably clean beaches with garbage cans every 100 mtrs, and signs, and a local committee encharged with the maintenence. Panama could learn a lot from Ecuadors approach to tourism. Here they just dont get it..........

Wow! Thanks for all replies to my question.

Panama is much dirtier than the city I came from.  The focus has been on trash but there are other problems that I deal with daily because I walk most of the time.  On my route to the grocery store in a "nice" area of Panama City I have to deal with urine, dog poop, people blowing and spitting mucus, loose or missing covers on big holes, sawed off metal poles, cars parked on sidewalks, seasonal overflowing sewage, and the thing I really hate...... sick and starving cats and kittens living in alley ways.  Just name a few....

I understand Panama city has those problems but, I'm thinking more towards Boquete. I understand Boquete is much cleaner.  But the sick & starving cats and kittens will push me toward Belize.

You have to weigh the pros and cons for living any where. Check it out for yourself... don't go by other opinions
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..

Indeed that's true. I will check for myself but, I've heard too much about trash in Panama and for me--that's a deal breaker.  I want to relax on beach, clean beach. I can't swim but can doggie paddle and I don't need toilet paper wrapping around my angle.

1. There are no starving cats or dogs anywhere but PC and possibly Bocas. In fact, there are actually no strays in Boquete.
2. The Pacific beaches stretch for miles beyond the horizon and are absolutely pristine. Caribbean - well that's another story.

Please note that almost all negative comments spring from Panama City, and who in the name of that is holy would want to live there anyway?  :/

I lived in Chiriquí for many years.  In all, I have lived in 5 different areas of Panama and been to many others in my 19 years here.  It is true that Boquete is cleaner than most.  I haven't been to visit for almost a year but I assume that would still be the case.  It is also true that Panama City is one of the dirtiest places I have been.  Why do people live in Panama City?  Because there are jobs here.  Not everyone is retired yet.

Yes, there are some clean beaches in Panama.  The well known, touristy beaches are kept clean.  Small town beaches usually have a big clean up day at the end of their summer before school starts again.

That sounds much encouraging. Thanks for replies.

lapapuja wrote:

Why do people live in Panama City?  Because there are jobs here.  Not everyone is retired yet.

Well that is certainly one good reason that I can't argue with!

Just chatted with friends in Boquete.  One just adopted another stray cat.  So it is possible they are no strays because she would adopt every one she finds.  SunsetSteve, I am guessing you do not live in Panama or have not been here long.  In Boquete, you can ask about adopting a stray.  Or visit http://www.arf-boquete.com/

Hello all :cheers:

For info, some off topic posts have been removed from this thread.

Please participate only if you can help the member who created this thread :

brownsand wrote:

Hello, My name is Sandra. I am thinking about retiring to Panama but, I keep reading about garbage in Panama. It seems to be a problem. I would like to know the truth about this---is there any place in the country where garbage is not a problem? Are there places cleaner than other places in the country? What about Bocas del Toro? Boquete? David? Pedasi? Any clean beaches?
Thank you

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

I doubt if anyone anywhere can deny there are some stray cats. After all, cats will be cats. But the larger problem of stray dogs has been completely dealt with in downtown Boquete - unlike some surrounding areas such as Volcancito. This is as a result of focused action by the residents and the successful spay/neuter initiatives.

Steve has a good and accurate point. BTW there are many clean areas in Panama City and dirty areas. just like any other major city in the US.

I think this topic has been beaten to death. Just come down and check it out for yourself.

I intend to check it out for myself but, welcome all who wish to help. "Trash in Panama" is a topic, which I broached and is not personally directed to anyone. Those bored of the topic, should feel free to move on--participation is not mandatory.  Otherwise, all healthy opinions are welcome.