Attention, Travelers: How Do You Protect Your Computer On The Road?

I have my Apple laptop on the road with me, and have discovered that some otherwise excellent hotels do not provide security lockboxes in guest rooms that are large enough to fit even a 12” laptop.  These hotels were probably built before folks were traveling a lot with their laptops and the hotels have not decided to upgrade to larger security boxes.

I do have travel insurance for this trip, which (theoretically) covers the possibility of theft of my MacBook Pro.

However, the maximum insurance payout would be $1,000 and there's a $100 deductible in case of theft.

Equally important:  based on my travel-insurance policy and an exchange of emails with the company, World Nomads insurance, I am covered in case of physical breaking-into a lockbox or security device .. or in case of a theft that I personally witness.  However, I would not be covered if a housekeeper or other hotel employee stole the computer from my room in my absence without doing physical harm to the lockbox.

Last week, at a top South American resort here in Uruguay where the lockbox was too small, I hid the laptop under my larger suitcase at some times when I was outside the habitación.

This week, in a more modest hotel where there is no horizontal stand for the bag let alone a larger lockbox, I am hiding the laptop under a large blue towel on a shelf.

I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it with the front desk as security here leaves something to be desired.

Going forward, I think it's impractical to try to figure out in advance if my laptop would fit in the lockbox of a prospective hotel.  But I realize this may be possible in some cases.

How would you deal with this security issue ?

cccmedia, on the road in Atlántida, Uruguay

I carry a small 7 inch windows tablet that can very easily be carried if there's no secure place to leave it.

Hey CCC, not sure how the situation is in Uruguay, but I have traveled and stayed in hotels extensively throughout Pakistan and more recently over Europe & Middle East (Dubai mainly). I often leave my stuff in the room and it has never been a problem ()talking about slightly higher-end more reputable hotels).

In case I was staying in a place where I was not sure of security, I would leave my equipment in my travelling case/bag and lock it. As a practice, I keep my luggage locked regardless of hotel security.

It also helps to have a word at the front desk about hotel security. You may not want to tell them about the equipment you have with you, but just ask about general security.

Usually its a good idea to read about the hotel's review online to ensure no similar incident has happened in the past.

Hope this helps, enjoy your travels..
Zeeshan

Xeeschan wrote:

In case I was staying in a place where I was not sure of security, I would leave my equipment in my travelling case/bag and lock it.

Yes ! 

With the laptop having been locked up in the travel bag, the offending hotel employee or thief would likely leave evidence showing that someone had broken the lock or damaged the bag to get at the computer.  That way I would be covered in case of theft, given the way my insurance policy is written.

The lock may have the added benefit of dissuading the maldito from trying to find out what's inside the bag in the first place.

Thanks, Z. :top:

cccmedia from Atlántida, Uruguay

Yes.. Usually the lock would keep the room service staff from snooping around your personal belongings..

Have fun!  : )

I agree with Fred.  When we travel we bring small tablets and if there is no safe it is easy to carry with us

Bob K

Meet other expats and join the events

OR