Tips and advice to thrive in Bulgaria

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to Bulgaria?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Bulgaria?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

It takes no time at all to feel at home in Bulgaria! Besides finding a grocery store and how to get around, I think there are 2 ways to get integrated easily. One is to orient yourself with your neighborhood and city. Walking around is a great way to find out where everything is--pharmacies, restaurants, shopping, parks, etc.

The other way is to be friendly and talk to others! Bulgarians have been described as seemingly unfriendly on the outside, but very hospitable, generous, and friendly on the inside. You can always find someone to strike up a conversation with, and you learn so much about the culture that way. Bulgarians know how to be neighbors, so take time to try to introduce yourself, and they'll probably invite you in.

I live here in a more permanent situation now, but the first time I lived here, I personally adjusted very well; I was with a volunteer group and was paired with others who had lived here longer than me, plus the people we volunteered for made an automatic "family" for us. It isn't hard to fall in love with this place!

I just wanted to say how lovely and down to earth your reply was shumw2.

I think that depends if you are an extrovert or an introvert! Everyone is different. Culture shock might be an issue as well for you! Observe Bulgarians ! However, even though I was born in Bulgaria and just came back in my 40s to live here and retire here, I feel like a foreigner even on my own land as far as people are concerned!
Also, some people get used to it faster then others