1st visit planning help

Hello Expats in Panama!  Where do I begin? Well, first I am grateful to have found this forum as I am exploring places outside the US to live in retirement. I would like to visit a few places over the next few months, and be in a new place before the end of 2016. Panama is near the top of my list (up there with Valencia, Spain) because of its natural beauty, temperate climate, proximity to the ocean, and foremost affordability. I do have a guaranteed retirement income after a career in technology, and I am an adventurous soul. I do not, however, speak a second language. So here are some initial questions and I thank everyone in advance for any wisdom you can share with me. I'll number them to make it easier to reference in your response. These will I'm sure just be a springboard from which more questions will be posed. I appreciate your patience!

1. Communicating. I don't speak or understand Spanish. I'll probably never be fluent —picking up a foreign language has never been my forte—so what is the best way to obtain enough to get by during daily life in Panama?

2. Money. Money money.... I read in travel mag blogs that a person can live well enough with $1500 a month income. But how realistic is that? My income is double that — will that be enough to get me a safe, clean, nice place to live near shops and restaurants with enough space for a small garden and money left over for a little travel?

3. Volunteering. It's important to me to spend time often helping others in need. Here in the States I drive people to medical appts, make meals for those in crisis, take care of a sick child so his mom can work, etc. I'm hoping opportunities will be available to me in Panama too. Are there any organizations that specifically match expats with volunteer opportunities?

4. To car or not to car?  I own a small SUV and love the independence of hopping in and going where I want to go. But I also have no issue using reliable public transportation. Do I take the car with me, or sell it and buy one in Panana, or is public transportation/taxis a good option?

5. My first time. I am thinking 3 weeks is a decent amount of time to get a feel of where I might like to live. Are there expats who I could hire as a guide to drive and help me with logistics?  About how much a day should I expect it to cost to eat, sleep and travel?

I'm excited to get started and your help I'm certain will be invaluable. 💜

Hi CynthiaE,

Quick replies for you here...

- Panama's climate is more tropical than temperate... especially towards the coast is definitely tropical. Warm and relatively humid. If you enjoy warm weather all year long then you'll have no problems here weather-wise.

- Not exactly affordable, at least not anymore. Rent and housing prices keep raising.

- Communicating... you could start off learning Spanish using duolingo or memrise. Free they definitely help in building a vocabulary

- Money: $1,500/month for city living is tight, especially if you planning to rent. $3,000 plenty.

- Car: in the city you can totally forgo owning a car. Taxi, uber and metro get you pretty much anywhere. Taxi are particularly inexpensive. Many buses as well, but they have no schedule, and bus stops don't have a list of routes stopping by. So it's  a trial and error thing especially at the beginning.

Our 2nd visit, so FWIW: the western highlands of Chiriqui are definitely moderate, not tropical. Wonderful climate, low to mid 70s. Glorious!

It has been shown that learning a new language, while challenging, is effective in warding off dementia (something we all worry about in the back of our minds).

Expats universally advise selling your vehicle and buying here, for many reasons. I could list the reasons if you wish.

From what I see of the situation here, $3K USD/month will situate you nicely away from the tropical humid and horrid heat of Panama City.

Thank for such a quick and helpful response. I do like warm weather but not humid so it's  possible something away from the beach- up in the hills - would suit me better (and  I don't like to use AC all day) Are there any particular towns in the hills where fellow expats live?

Thanks, Steve. Sounds encouraging. Yes I am leaning towards being away from the city/beach/heat. Do you plan to move to Panama?

Yes - I am here in Boquete right now, taking Spanish lessons and exploring the surrounding communities for potential living areas.

The hill towns to research are Boquete, Volcan, Santa Fe and possibly Valle DE Anton.

You should perhaps also research Ecuador.  There is a lot of info available.

Sounds like you are well on your way to settling in. Thanks again for your help. I've added those places to my search.