Taipei - Anyone out here????

The last few times i asked for direction in this cold city, i'd gotten 3 reactions. 1, they simply walk pass me. 2, they walk away and turn around shouting the directions. 3, they gave me the directions with a frown.

Goodness! i was smiling and asking them in their language! What is going on?!?! I'm gonna be here for another 3 years and im seriously contemplating going home now >.<

Anybody out there?? ArrrHHHH!!!

Don't give up!! but I know what you mean... and you speak Chinese as well!!!

I was in Taipei a few days ago and, boy, is it difficult to get around if you don't know Chinese. I haven't been to a place in many years where the presence of English is so invisible. What I mean is that there are many clever people who speak English, but on the streets its tough. Taxis in particular are impossible unless you have your destination written down in Chinese characters.

I don't know the city well (my first time) but I know quite a few business people there... can I help???

Hi,
I don't read and write Chinese however if you try to ask young people who tend to be more receptive about understanding and replying to you in English. Taiwanese people are far hospitable from the English people about giving direction and it is likely due to the fact they don't speak English however you can't judge a country and people by this experience only. Asides from this, they are definitely good people to make friends and hospitable once they know how to communicate with you and vice versa.
Let me know if you need more help. i guess i have years of experiences even i still don't read and write Chinese

Hello guys, I'm going to be in Taipei by myself for NYE, anyone wanna party in style together while I'm there for a few days?

I have found people in Taipei to be quite helpful with directions. Seems I only have to look at the MRT map for a few seconds before someone asks if I need help.

The English map from the MRT info booth is really good and the staff there will help you with which bus to take and where to catch it if where you're headed is too far from the MRT.

Please don't go home, Taiwan is beautiful and the people are really quite friendly.

Hi,

Just curious on how you doing in reading you blog dated on the 11/2010.  I wonder at this time have you adjusted, since two years and plus couple of months to go.

I hope you are doing well.  Best Regards!

joelN wrote:

Hi,

Just curious on how you doing in reading you blog dated on the 11/2010.  I wonder at this time have you adjusted, since two years and plus couple of months to go.

I hope you are doing well.  Best Regards!

I'm still having a hard time adjusting... The isolation is causing a strain in my marriage. My hubby has been here since 06. He's got tons of friends here. Inevitably, I'm starting to have negative thoughts about him for putting me in this situation. I used to be so active back home. But now, I'm reduced to a scary cat who doesn't dare to step out of the house!

Dear Amazll,

Hang in there, I am sure you are doing a wonderful job in adapting into a new culture. I grew up in Taipei until age of 15, left for overseas. I stayed in Singapore for one year, 10 years in Australia and 10 years in the US. I have spent more time overseas than my mother country, and I totally understand what you have been through. People in Taiwan are very nice, food is nice, the only thing I cannot stand is the weather in summer.

I run a alternative medicine practice in Taipei. I am licensed to practice Chinese Medicine in the US but not here in Taipei, so I do not use needles or herbs. I only use auricular therapy and energy medicine. Anyway, if you want to come by my office and have a chat, you are more than welcome. If you want to come for a session, by all means!

By the way, I highly recommend you and your husband take a trip around the country. It's a beautiful island. people down South are more friendly. Sometimes they do not reach to you directly when you want to approach them, it's because they are shy and probably don't know how to communicate English well. But I can tell you Taiwanese people are very friendly!

amazll,

i just sent you a private message, :)

chanced upon this forum, is there anyone who can advice me on how to get a job/start a business or get myself emigrated over there in taiwan?

Amazll,

Do not give up!  Here I am 9 months later and though some days can be rough...most are fine.  Taiwan is beautiful...yes I miss the west...and look forward to vacation to Italy.  But Taiwan is a nice place to be...just continue smiling.

Good vibes your way!

Warm regards,
Monique

Dear Amazll,

I hope you've found some kindred spirits in this city across the world. In Taiwan, guanxi, or personal relationships, are key to many things - job opportunities, performance opportunities, you name it. Many of my friends and social circles have come about from this - an introduction from a friend of a friend, or the relative of a student, etc.

There are actually a few social networks that meet monthly or weekly to socialize or explore different aspects of Chinese culture. For example, meetup.com houses many different groups. Internations is another. I belong to the EWCP, which hosts a variety of classes about the Art of Chinese Tea, Qigong, meditation, cultural hikes, veggie dinners, etc. You can find the EWCP on facebook.

It took me awhile to get settled here too - the first year was definitely the most rough, but now, I love it here. Older people can be less welcoming, but it's probably because they have less happiness in their lives, jaded by having to switch to less fulfilling careers, or from being side-lined by their families.
I'd be happy to show you some of my favorite restaurants or go to a show together if you're free sometime ^^

I am sure they were just afraid to to talk you in English. I'd also recommend you look for young people to ask directions. Hopefully you will find a different outcome.

Hiya

I am sorry you felt that way. I hope everything has gotten better for you. If you need any help, just ask, I believe there are a lot of people that are just shy and because of the culture differences, we may look like not friendly at all, however, if you try a little bit harder, you can make a lot of good friends here.
Best wishes and if you ever need anything, I am friendly :)

Karen

I hear ya; I'm just starting my second week and it's really frustrating to not have a social life. I keep hearing it'll get better and I'm sure it will! If you guys want to meet up for coffee send me a message! Weekends or nights after 7:00pm are best for me!

People are very friendly and trying hard to help, but.... never ask for a direction. You ask one for a way, soon a nice crowd will gather around you, everyone pointing to a different direction. If you somehow manage to get out of this assembly, simply consult the map or spend a little more and get yourself a GPS.

We are considering a move to taipai from the USA (denver) and after reading a lot online, I am praying they do not win the contract, it  sounds miserable.  We lived in Dubai for 6 years and it was heaven.  Any words of wisdom.  I have 3 kids.  2 boys  ages 10 and 8 and a 1yo girl.  Are the American schools good, do they hit?  How is housing?  jen