Questions about living in Gibraltar

Hi everyone,

My name is Catherine and I am new to this site.  I visited Gibralter last year with my family and haven't stopped thinking about relocating since!  I have 3 boys, 11, 9 and 6.   I currently live outside Manchester with my other half and want the boys to experience a more outdoors lifestyle.

As a family we like sports and are wanting to spend time together outdoors and enjoy the gorgeous beaches and sunshine GIbrallter ha to offer.   Everyone seemed so happy when we last visited Gibralter and I would love a chance to experience the way of life with my family. 

I started learning Spanish 5 months ago and have made it my New Years resolution to have some solid plans in place to be relocating or have relocated by the end of the year! (Ambitious I know!) I just really want to have no regrets and at least try Tomane it happen.

I am visiting again in February for 4 nights and hopefully going to have a look around Bayside secondary school?  I have so many questions and would be most grateful if anyone could shed any light on the following:
1.   Would my children be able to attend the local schools and are there any fees?  If they can do you know if the schools have places (waiting lists) and to get in do you have to live in the catchment area of the schools? Are there any particular primary schools that you would recommend?

2.  I have been working full time as a Teaching Assistant in a primary school for the last 4 years, do you think that there are vacancies for Teaching Assistant posts and if so where could I look?

3.  My other half is self employed but I would need to work too; if I couldn't get work as a Teaching Assistant I have secretarial and admin skills and have been learning Spanish as I think that may help?  Do you think being able to communicate in Spanish would increase my chances of finding alternative work and if so where could I look?

4.  I am aware that housing in GIbralter is quite expensive and hard to come by and that people also live outside Gibralter?  Where would you recommend I look into when I am over? We would a 3 bedroom rental.

5. My boys are football and rugby mad, all sports mad really! But just wondering if there are local teams they could join for their ages?

Sorry to post so many questions but am so excited about the prospect of maybe taking the plunge!
Thank you to anyone who can give me any info on the above.

Thank you so much
Catherine

Hi Catherine

I arrived in Gib 6 months ago so I am not necessarily an expert but here's what I know:

Schooling - You and your kids will need to become Gib residents before they can commence school. This means that you need to be resident here and have a copies of utility bills to give to the Dept of Education as evidence. Luckily I arrived in Gib ahead of my family so already had the accommodation before the kids got here.  It usually takes 3-4 weeks for approval to come through so be prepared for your boys to be out of school initially. Best time to come would be the start of the summer holidays so that you can arrange everything.

There are no fees for schooling in Gib as long as you are resident here. If you live in Spain then I think you can pay. From memory it is £3,000 per term per child.

There wasn't a waiting list when I applied for my two girls - middle and senior school.

Schools are based on location of residence, however, there is only one senior boys school from age 12/13. My youngest goes to Bishops Fitzgerald, it seems ok. I don't know about any others.

Sorry, I have no ideas about jobs for Teaching Assistants

Secretarial and admin skills should help, I don't know about Spanish although I suspect it would be useful. The big employers here are the gaming companies and financial services companies. There aren't many recruitment companies that I know of but one that i do know is "Eyespy recruitment".

Living in Spain is definitely cheaper but you then need to offset that against the school fees. Private schools in Spain aren't cheap either. You could put your boys into the local Spanish school system but that isn't something I wanted to do because of language issues for my girls.
It's hard to comment about locations in SpaIn as there is such a wide area to choose from. Anywhere between Gib and Estepona are popular choices.

Sports are actively encouraged here. There's plenty to do. I'm pretty sure there are both local rugby and football teams but as I have girls I'm not that close to it!!

Good luck, If you do decide to come over and would like some help then let me know.

Regards
Alan

Hi Alan

Thanks so much for your reply.  Lots of really helpful information; especially regarding the schools.  Its good to know the process can take longer than you think.

Its nice to hear that you and your family settled quickly and easily and that sports and clubs would be available for the kids.   

I took at look at eyespyrecruitment today and have registered my CV with them so will see what happens.

Thanks again for all your help.
If you don't mind I may be in touch again nearer Feb to ask a few more questions!

Thanks
Catherine

Hello kittyg,

I have created a new thread: Questions about living in Gibraltar with your posts for you to ask your specific questions.

Thank You,
Regards,
Naomi.

Hi Catherine,

I came here with my family 3 yrs ago. I remember  that to get ours boys school places I had to prove residency and also provide their full birth certificates. The copy ones are not sufficient.

As far as getting  work as a TA, you will only be able to apply as a supply as all staff are recruited centrally rather than via each school. Supply staff are only recruited for once a year around August time. Full time roles are then given to supply staff although those posts come up infrequently. Unless you can get an evening job so that you are available on supply then it isn't feasible. I'm a TA but now work in a nursery :-)

Good luck with your move.