Commuting with scooter, rollerblade, self-balancing scooter?

Hi!

I'm wondering if the above options are viable in Malta. It can cut a 1 hour walk into half if there is place for that. And my daily sport would also be done with commuting :)
I heard cycling is suicidal there, but as the above are mostly used on pavement I guess it would be safer. Or is it not?
I guess for the rainy season it wouldn't be an option, but for other months it could be good.
Any ideas?

i wouldnt risk a self balancing scooter ... they are £400 for what looks like a death trap

but up to you ...

I know, I saw a good few hilarious videos about people trying to ride them  :D Still, thought maybe that could be one option. What about the others?

"...as the above are mostly used on pavement I guess it would be safer. Or is it not?"

I think it depends a lot on where in Malta you are. The promenade along the ocean in Sliema/Gzira, for instance, would be no problem, but if you live up the hill (and there are many hills) it might get tricky, especially as the pavements aren't always wide enough, are blocked by rubbish bags, parked cars, etc...

Yes get one for Valletta 😂😂😂😂😂

The police in Valletta sometimes use segways but they are restricted as lots of the side streets are steep or have steps.

Most pavements in Malta are either very narrow or obstructed by steps, ramps, building sites, cranes, potholes, road signs, broken drain covers or parked cars.

That's why the Maltese walk on the road!

Terry

Soni84 wrote:

Hi!

I'm wondering if the above options are viable in Malta. It can cut a 1 hour walk into half if there is place for that. And my daily sport would also be done with commuting :)
I heard cycling is suicidal there, but as the above are mostly used on pavement I guess it would be safer. Or is it not?
I guess for the rainy season it wouldn't be an option, but for other months it could be good.
Any ideas?

Walking on pavements can be suicidal, uneven and slippery when wet!!

Soni84 wrote:

Hi!

Any ideas?

Presumably the police have clearance to use 'Segways' but, in Gozo they are used on restricted sections of road only, under the supervision of tour operators, but are not legal for ordinary usage on the roads.(I assume Malta would be the same) I would think that would apply to any self balancing scooter.

As for riding on pavements, most you can't even walk on or push a push chair!

Proper scooters are popular in Gozo but I am not sure I would want to ride one in Malta.

Ray

Haha, ok I understand!  I'm certainly not suicidal, so I think segway/self balancing scooter/rollerblade are off limits! I can only see scooters working on smoother, unobstructed sections of roads/pavements which entirely depends on where you live. I guess I'll fid out when I arrive. Thanks for the input :)

There is a facebook page, Bicycling Advocacy Group, for information on cycling on Malta.

It seems some imports of Chinese self-balancing scooters have been seized as they entered the UK because they were deemed to be safety hazards.
I understand the batteries would overheat and start fires.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/sci … -UK-Police

What about motor scooter safety on the roads?
Any more dangerous than in the UK?

May go back to the days of Mod!!

I am cycling since I got here 2,5 years. First 7-8 month from Melliehe to Birkirkara and back, 6 time a week. A little bit was hard but I was in a very good shape... Now I am going from St Paul bay to Iklin, mutch easier...