Tax problem - Please help!

Please can someone help I am in a real panic,

each month my employer deducts and pays the tax that I owe yet I have just received a letter from the IRD stating that I owe 980 euros!

I think it must be a mistake but the office in Floriana only opens from Monday - Friday which are the days that I work and I cannot afford to take a day off from work.

Please can someone shed some light on why this has happened or what I can do to resolve this? There is no way I can afford this and the letter states they will add interest each month that I do not pay!

Has this happened to anyone in Malta before?

I will really appreciate any response.

If you really can't get to the tax office, ring them or write to them and tell them you have paid tax through your employer.
Have you asked your employer? It is not unknown for employers to deduct it but not pay it to the Tax authorities.
Do you receive a payslip showing the deductions? If you have not spoken to your employer, do so and tell them you will be sending copies of your payslip to the tax office to show your employer has been deducting tax. The tax office can then check whether your employer has actually passed it on to them and if not then I would imagine they would be very quick to claim it from them and possibly prosecute them as well.
It is also possible of course that the employer has miscalculated you tax liability and there is an outstanding amount.

Ray
( These are only my thoughts on the matter, I am not a tax advisor! )

If you started work last year then it may be that you are paying, via your employer, this years tax bill.
The tax demand may be tax for last year , maybe under estimate?
Check the dates on the tax demand.

Terry