Getting a Tax Number

I am a UK national, just arrived in Malta and have been told I need to get a tax number.

As I am on Gozo does anyone know whether I can apply for this at the IRD office on Gozo or do I have to go to Floriana?

I have been told its a '15 min' process???
TIA
Rob

http://socialpolicy.gov.mt/ssnumber/Pages/default.aspx

you just need to get a social security number pop into the local etc office or fill in this form
http://socialpolicy.gov.mt/ssnumber/Pages/default.aspx

Thanks but that seems to be for a SocialSecurityNumber - I have been told I need a 'Tax Number' - its part of what the shipping agent says I need to get my belongings through customs ..

blackmambamt wrote:

Thanks but that seems to be for a SocialSecurityNumber - I have been told I need a 'Tax Number' - its part of what the shipping agent says I need to get my belongings through customs ..

ah i just got a social securtiy number and was registered for tax automatically

i would suggest going into the floriana office and asking directly

blackmambamt wrote:

If your belongings are coming from within the EU then all you need to show is a passport or EID.

Why would you need a tax number?

Terry

blackmambamt wrote:

I am a UK national, just arrived in Malta and have been told I need to get a tax number.

As I am on Gozo does anyone know whether I can apply for this at the IRD office on Gozo or do I have to go to Floriana?

I have been told its a '15 min' process???
TIA
Rob

You can download the form, which is very simple and either post to the office in Floriana (Probably the best option) or just take it in to the office in Victoria at the following address:-

Inland Revenue Department
Triq Enrico Mizzi
Ir-Rabat, Għawdex

This is just down from St Francis square.

When we first arrived I took the form there and they just sent it in the internal post to Malta, I then waited a year and decided to post another form direct to Malta and got nothing till a Tax Return landed on the doorstep 10 days before it was due to be filed!

Ray

When we had personal effects shipped across it was done door to door and there was never any mention of Tax Number, passport or eID, It just turned up at the door one day on the back of a truck!

Ray

F0xgl0ve wrote:

When we had personal effects shipped across it was done door to door and there was never any mention of Tax Number, passport or eID, It just turned up at the door one day on the back of a truck!

Ray

Same here

Most bodies, i.e MaltaPost, Customs etc accept a passport number in lieu of an ID number until you have one

My belongings are being shipped from outside EU so I need to pay EUR1200 to get it through customs

Anyway went to Floriana yesterday and got it sorted.

They lied about it taking 15mins, it took 5mins :)

Rob

robpw2 wrote:
blackmambamt wrote:

ah i just got a social securtiy number and was registered for tax automatically

i would suggest going into the floriana office and asking directly

This is interesting....Is it possible that TCN national do the same? I mean to get SSN number and automatically gets tax registration? Or I am just grabbing a straw here :mad:

hi,
I've been told by my employer that I need an Income tax reg. number...
As I see , I need to get this tax number from IRD, Floriana ? 
Do you know what documents I will need for this process  ?

thanks,
Daniel

nicknamero wrote:

hi,

thanks,
Daniel

You can download the form on their website,fill it in and take it in to the office or you can post it.

Ray

F0xgl0ve wrote:
nicknamero wrote:

hi,

thanks,
Daniel

You can download the form on their website,fill it in and take it in to the office or you can post it.

Ray

thanks... I had a look on the website, but couldn't figure it out, which form to download...  is somewhere here :
https://ird.gov.mt/downloads/dlindex.aspx    ?

nicknamero wrote:
F0xgl0ve wrote:
nicknamero wrote:

hi,

thanks,
Daniel

Ray

thanks... I had a look on the website, but couldn't figure it out, which form to download...  is somewhere here :
https://ird.gov.mt/downloads/dlindex.aspx    ?

Try here : https://ird.gov.mt/downloads/other/expa … itable.pdf

If you need the number urgently I would take the completed form in to the office and they may be able to  give you a number straight away, not sure though.
When I did mine I took it in to the office in Gozo who were supposed to send it on to Malta but it never got there! I went back in a year later and did it again but even then the first I heard was when I received the tax return the following year!

Ray