Leaving Malta - after almost a year...

Hi everyone.

I loved living in Malta this last year - but an opportunity came up that I couldn't resist, and I'll have to leave this beautiful island in the next two months to resettle elsewhere in the EU.

On a more serious note - I have obtained a Social Security Number and a Tax and a VAT number - and also registered myself to ETC, and been waiting (as so many others) for my ID card to be issued. I also have an HSBC account.  In essence, I've done everything to become a legitimate expat in Malta.

The question is, now that I am leaving Malta... what should I do regarding all of the above?  I am guessing I will have to declare that I will no longer earn income (and be taxed for it) in Malta, but declare it to who? I will probably need to keep my TAX/VAT number, since I did have income during this year that I must declare and be taxed for - but the SSN, I should probably declare I will no longer be insured in Malta, right?  Also, the VAT/TAX number - they make sense for this first and last statement of income during 2015, but not afterwards - should I keep them and manually file empty statements each year?

Do I tell HSBC? If so, they will probably ask that I close the account, no?
(I'd like to keep it open until I at least settle in my new country and open an account there).

Any information / suggestion most welcome - I am in uncharted waters.

If you are moving within the EU  than HSBC may be able to transfer your account to your next country, ask them.

With regard to tax you need to notify Malta tax office of the move and your new address, remember that this years tax is for last year so you will still have to pay this years tax bill next year.

Terry