Buying a car in Scotland

Hi,

To be able to move in Scotland, a lot of expatriates think of buying a car, whether new or second-hand.

What are the formalities to buy a vehicle in Scotland: car registration, insurance, etc.?

What are the relevant authorities or organizations to contact?

How long does it take and what are the associated costs?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Kenjee

This is not a difficult process at all . Firstly Insurance,this can be relatively expensive depending on age,length of time holding a license and the size of car/engine you purchase, no claims bonus also helps in this department, do not purchase a car without a valid MOT certificate unless you are a mechanic and have somewhere to work on it.Check the vehicle you intend to purchase has an MOT certificate with a minimum of 6-8 months left on it.
Taxing the vehicle is simple and can be done either on line or at a post office. Your Insurance documents and a valid MOT are required.

Very informative topic, thank you. I do have one question: given that I would be new to Scotland (=zero credit history), how would this impact the process of financing a car?

PatriciaMunteanu wrote:

Very informative topic, thank you. I do have one question: given that I would be new to Scotland (=zero credit history), how would this impact the process of financing a car?

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

You may struggle; this link will explain the system to you.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team