Relocating to Jakarta with indonesian wife- Looking for a work

Hi Everyone,

This is Mohammad Imran, i am from Delhi India, and working in Lagos Nigeria since 5 years but now i am leaving my job (Stallion Group) and moving to jakarta with my wife who is indonesian, i am looking a suitable job in jakarta, please help me to get a relevant job.

Regards

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Sharing of personal contact infos on the forum not allowed. You may use our private message system for that

Hello Imran Mohammad and welcome to Expat.com

For info, your thread has been moved to the Jakarta forum.

I invite you to read the Work section of the Living in Indonesia guide to gather some useful informations about procedures to get work.

An advert in the Jobs offers in Jakarta will help spread the word on your job hunt

Best Regards
Kenjee

Imran Mohammad wrote:

i am looking a suitable job in jakarta, please help me to get a relevant job.

The company you mentioned employs a lot of people, so perhaps you could specify what sort of job you're looking for.
Perhaps you were in senior management, or maybe you cleaned the toilets.

Hi Imran,

Having an Indonesian wife is of little benefit to seeking jobs in Indonesia unless you've been living here for several years.  Your employability will be determined by the simple reality…do you have skills, job experience, knowledge or talent that is not otherwise able to be found within the local populous?

That said, I offer good wishes to you.

Hi Ubudian,

I have experience in Hr/Administration for 8 years along with I have some experience in sales of multi-brands automobile like (Porsche, Audi, Skoda, Nissan, VW, Hyundai and Honda) because Stallion is bigger holder of these brands so I used to like to sale and offer the different brands as per consumer test and it was giving me great pleasure to serve and deal with people's dream.

Regards
Imran

From what you say, I don't think your experience will help a lot in finding a job in Indonesia because it is not specialized and it is something that anyone can do and is already doing here. Even putting aside the low salary that you would be earning, I do not think you would get a working permit based on the job experience that you mention.

saintjean wrote:

From what you say, I don't think your experience will help a lot in finding a job in Indonesia

Probably true.
As there are a lot of Indonesians trained and capable of the mentioned positions, it'll be difficult to get a legal job.
That doesn't mean it's impossible, but it could be very hard work.

Hello Saintjean,

Many thanks to revive my hopes saintjean, please look if there is any reference by anyone, it will be great help for me please.

Regards
Imran

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : For security reasons, please do not post personal details here

Your CV specifies a lot of work in the automotive industry, so that allows some possibilities, but a lot of Indonesians are equally or better qualified than you, so your chances are limited.

If I may offer an opinion...

The chances of finding work from your facebook, education fair and forum posts are less than likely to produce results.
I'd be tempted to hunt out industries that suit your qualifications, and target them directly.

Be aware - to work legally, you must have a KITAS (Immigration document) and an IMTA (Work permit).
The latter doesn't come cheap, and can only be obtained if the hiring company can show need to hire you over an Indonesian.

Just to keep adding fun to the party. Getting a visa is just hard and can take a long time so I would also search for a good agent to help you with visas and the legal stuff.

lukereg wrote:

Just to keep adding fun to the party. Getting a visa is just hard and can take a long time so I would also search for a good agent to help you with visas and the legal stuff.

This is true.
I feel pretty bad for those in legitimate marriages because it can be very difficult to get legal work here, so it can be all but impossible to look after their family without leaving the country. That doesn't mean it's impossible, just you really need to work hard to get what you want.
It would be nice to see a change, allowing expats married to Indonesians to work without all that messing about, but it isn't going to happen because the scam marriage industry would have a field day.
I suspect the OP's chances are quite slim, but he could always open a business in his wife's name and work in the background.
If that's an option for the OP, avoid doing it in the Jakarta area - the rents are a killer.

Just being realistic, there will be no chance at all to find a job as a sales person in the automotive industry except you are a high qualified manager with proven records.