Looking for Glass Replacement for Pictures

A few pictures that we shipped arrived with broken glass and we cannot find anyone that can replace the glass. We live in Rio Grande, but can travel anywhere on the island.

You have to search Enmarcadados or Enmarcadores. Here is a link with a list of shops: Enmarcados

Thank you!  It was suggested at a ferreteria that I needed to find a cristaleria :)

Go to Home Depot. They cut glass here in the states. Go to Walmart and buy a cheap picture frame the same size as the broken ones and use the glass from that. Ask the locals. We found a place in Mayaguez when we lived there. My wife knew about it because she is from there.

Home Depot does not cut glass.  Neither does National.  I need a Michael's over here!   :|   The pictures that need glass replaced are not regularly sized, and I don't want the cheap glass ... I want the no-glare stuff.  I'm asking the locals ... I'll post update(s).  Thanks for your suggestions!

It's my observation that you may want to lower the bar a bit on your wants and expectations. You are in Puerto Rico now. Get used to the unavailability of those things you must have and learn to live with what this island has to offer. There used to be a Michael's there but it went out of business due to lack of business. Puerto Rico is a poor island economically and the Puerto Ricans pride themselves in utilizing what is available and what they can make on their own. However, I've included an address where you can probably get what you are looking for, but you will have to travel to Mayaguez and you will need to speak Spanish or bring someone with you that does. Plus their prices are very reasonable.

Cristaleria Nelson
Calle 3
Barrio Dulce Labios in Mayaguez

That's exactly what you need.. . A cristalería. There are many. They will cut to measure.

Go to any good cristalería in your area.

Believe me, I do not have any problem living with what's available on the island ... my post was asking for help finding it, after looking for it in the logical places.  I know I am not the only one that would need picture glass replaced, and I am pretty sure there is someone closer than Mayaguez, but if not, I don't have a problem making a road trip.

Ummm...I actually gave you the answer to your problem. There are framing shops all over the island. Its called Enmarcadados or they are called Enmarcadores. There are lots of Artists and Galleries here and they need Frames. On the link I gave you the first one says "Angie's Foto and Frame Shop".  A Cristeleria is supposed to be glass for Cars not sure if they will even help you. This one is in Carolina not far from you: Master Frames

I am going up to the States in October.  If there is something that you need and you cannot get it here and I can carry it, let me know. The price of shipping to you will be one rum punch and some good conversation.

Just an anecdote. I'd brought prints, frames, and mats from the States thinking I'd get the glass in PR, Rincon. I went to an aluminum window place that had glass. They cut the piece I needed, three times and each time they tried to give me a scratched piece. Finally they asked, You mean you want a perfect piece?

Dora787 wrote:

Ummm...I actually gave you the answer to your problem. There are framing shops all over the island. Its called Enmarcadados or they are called Enmarcadores. There are lots of Artists and Galleries here and they need Frames. On the link I gave you the first one says "Angie's Foto and Frame Shop".  A Cristeleria is supposed to be glass for Cars not sure if they will even help you. This one is in Carolina not far from you: Master Frames

Ummmmmmm ... six out of the six numbers I tried from this listing indicated the phone numbers were no longer in service, including the Master Frames in Carolina.

You are having a Grand Day

Not their fault the people are out of business. There's a lot of that going on in PR these days. But when you reach out for help and people take the time and effort to try and help even if it doesn't work out, a "thank you for trying" would be a nice touch.

Just trying to give you the name in Spanish for Frame Shop to do your own search....if you keep searching you should be able to find someone. Try San Juan...the Metro has everything. I know its possible to get something framed...I've worked in Art in PR since 2000.

Sorry!  I did not mean to sound ungrateful for your time, effort, and comments.  After attempting to call more than 15 cristalerias yesterday, I made contact with someone from Quality Glass in Rio Piedras.  And in the meantime, we have determined that we need a 30x30 plate mirror, so this may just work out.  If it pans out, I will update.  Thanks again for your input!

Thank you for your kind reply. I hope you find exactly what you need at this place. But just always keep in mind, now that you are in Puerto Rico you are in a different world where things are usually more complicated and  we take for granted that we should be able to find those items we are looking for as easily as we did in the states. It's just one of those adjustments that come with lliving on an island and a different culture.

On the same subject line, has anyone found a business offering acrylic alternatives for picture frames? I have larger frames that need a light weight medium, glass just won't do.

Karenqc: What are the dimensions of the frames?

The largest is 4'x4'.

Karenqc: too bad the glass broke because in order to get a 48"x48" of framing glass or acrylic you have no choice but to go to a framing shop and it probably will be very expensive. For example Acrylic Clear OP-3 has a max size of 48"x48" but it cannot be shipped by UPS to a customer because it exceeds UPS's maximum sized package. Same with Acrylite which has a max size of 40"x60". And that's in the States.

I am a photographer and I print and frame my prints myself. I would like to do this in PR but can't. I do all my work in the States where I can get the type of glass I want (TruVue Conservation Clear) and 32"x40" cotton mats. All of the materials I need could be shipped to PR, I believe. But it would be beyond my budget. The largest frames I use are 24"x36".

So, to summarize, I think you've got no choice but to go to a framing shop. One way to find a good shop is to visit (or phone) a gallery where the art is framed nicely and ask where they have their worked framed. In the Rincon area Playa Ouest Gallery http://www.playaoestegallery.com/ is one possibility another is Gaba Coffee & Fine Arts facebook.com/gabbacoffeeandfinearts?pnref=lhc

Thanks for the info, I will probably just wait until I can get to the states to buy what I need and box them up for the flight back as well. Going to a frame shop here surely is out of my budget since the ones in the states were as well. The price alone for an archival mat is astounding. I can also be sure they have the UV resistant acrylics I want and at any size.

Just curious, do you have a darkroom set up here in PR? My husband is also an avid photographer and misses his terribly. We've been looking for a sort of co-op situation but haven't had any luck yet.

Thanks for the links, I will check them out.

Karenqc: hmmm ... the only dark room anyone's mentioned is at the university in Mayaguez. You'd figure there's got to be something available somewhere. If I were in his shoes and didn't want to go digital then I'd continue shooting film, develop the negatives myself (using a lightproof bag) and store them until a darkroom becomes available.

All photographers I know, both professional and not, are now using a digital workflow. I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark III and print on an Epson 7800. The quality is superb. When I started in the late 60s I used film and a darkroom of course. I know your question was where to find darkroom facilities but if your husband wants to follow his passion in full vigor then perhaps he should consider ALSO shooting digitally and producing digital prints.

He's pretty hardcore analog, there is no convincing him to go digital. :) Personally, I tend to agree, I love his silver prints and photogravures. I guess we will just have to wait for something to open up or build up a darkroom again. Thanks again for the info.

victorlglass wrote:

Just an anecdote. I'd brought prints, frames, and mats from the States thinking I'd get the glass in PR, Rincon. I went to an aluminum window place that had glass. They cut the piece I needed, three times and each time they tried to give me a scratched piece. Finally they asked, You mean you want a perfect piece?

Lol, I feel your pain.

Karenqc: I figured as much if he's shooting film. I miss the darkroom days but not the chemicals,

Karenqc,

There is a neat photography store in OSJ that sells all sorts of gear - kind of reminds me of the old photo stores in NYC.  They sell film, do processing, and carry used gear.  They may be able to point you in the right direction.

Hi Trekrider,

Sorry I missed this post earlier, could you please tell me the name of the business? I have walked around there numerous times and never found a thing, (OSJ has a habit of distracting me though) I love looking at old gear and I'm always on the look out for a good film processor/printer. Cheers, Karen

Karenqc wrote:

Hi Trekrider,

Sorry I missed this post earlier, could you please tell me the name of the business? I have walked around there numerous times and never found a thing, (OSJ has a habit of distracting me though) I love looking at old gear and I'm always on the look out for a good film processor/printer. Cheers, Karen

I believe it's on Calle San Francisco.  If I remember correctly, it is pretty nondescript.  In fact, I almost walked right past it but I noticed a couple of older manual 35mm SLRs in the window front.  I went in and chatted a bit with the owner and he happened to have a 67mm lens cap that I needed!!

The next time I'm in OSJ I'll double check.

Thanks Trekrider, I'll definitely pay close attention next time I'm in OSJ on SF street. How were their prices btw? Did the staff seem knowledgeable?