Loiza safety

I saw.a very nice looking apartment in Loiza in what looks like a decent area. But when I google I find forums with people saying it's unsafe. Does anybody who has actually spent time in Loiza have an opinion on this?

I  spent a day in Loiza and had a great time met some very beautiful creative artistic people, can't wait to go back there.

I have only visited Loiza but it is absolutely beautiful! I'm sure there is crime just like anywhere else so I would suggest continuing to research online and contact a realtor for more information. Also, take a drive around the neighborhood at different hours of the day to see what kind of element is hanging around. Really, it depends on your definition of "unsafe" so take that into account. Just my dos centavos!

Nice apartments in faradjo and safer. If you are looking to move on that side of the island for some reason

I have seen apartments in Fajardo but the buildings all seamed pretty empty which I.didn't like. Also the upkeep of the grounds didn't seam too great. Finally, I couldn't stand the smell of the Marina :(

sandrarduncan wrote:

Nice apartments in faradjo and safer. If you are looking to move on that side of the island for some reason

Several of us are in Fajardo and other surrounding town, Fajardo is about 45 minutes from San Juan on the East coast of the island.

Not sure where you want to live, there are about 73 municipalities in the island, most are relatively safe. There is hallway Rincon where most mainlander seem to congregate.

The house I am buying is in Ceiba, FrogRock lives in Palmas Del Mar in Humacao. You do not have to live close to the Fajardo Marina, there are other apartments and houses. I know what you mean with the smell, it turned be off too, it is caused by the decomposition of Seaweed that accumulates in the area.

Rio Grande is nice also.  We lived in joyuda then moved to arecibo. Now we are moving to Rincon. We like the west coast best.  Dorado is on the north part of the island really nice. Lots of English speaking and private schools as well.  However very expensive.  Lots of beautiful apartments complexes

Noooo Loiza is definitely not safe and it never has been. For real its another world....believe the Forums. Live somewhere else in PR. My husband is Puerto Rican and he says no way and he had family there.

My wife shares the same sentiments about Loiza as Dora787 does. She's from PR. I asked her about Loiza being safe and she said "Loiza, are you kidding?" All I know about Loiza is that I went there one time years ago to a golf course that was being built to do some business and I had to pass through some pretty nasty areas to get there.

Are you guys talking about Loíza, San Juan or Loíza, Puerto Rico (east of the airport) ?

Loiza is a definite no go. Husband is from here, has several colleagues who are very familiar with the area and it is unanimous. There are plenty of other nice apts in better areas.

tinymonkey wrote:

Are you guys talking about Loíza, San Juan or Loíza, Puerto Rico (east of the airport) ?

Loiza, PR the City. Not Calle Loiza which is a Street in Santurce.

So I've talked to a lot.of people out here who all say Loiza is no where near as bad as people portray it. I've been told that in the early 2000s it was pretty bad.but now has a lower crime rate than cities like Ponce and of.course San Juan. Unfortunately, it gets a negative wrap bc it is where the majority of the islands black population lives and it has.not allowed big business to move in. This.coming from PR folks who currently live and grew up in PR not people who used to live here or spouses used to live here.

I think the best thing for you to do is actually experience the neighborhood in question at all hours of the day and decide for yourself.

P.S. We live here.

I agree and I have but I didn't see the not so safe looking area people have described so I was hoping someone could share their experience bc sometimes danger isn't visible. All I saw was a neighborhood, people of all ages our walking, on bikes, etc. But I'm from an inner.city so maybe that's why it didn't look bad to me.

A lot of people avoid the area, so you may have a hard time finding somebody that can give you personal experience.

Do you speak spanish? You could always go to the community center or the main plaza and start talking to some families and see what they have to say.

I would like for some one to tell me where there are completely safe areas in PR or for that matter in NY, NJ, California, we have a house in a very nice area in Isabela but crime free forget it .Loiza gets a bad rap because its where most people that live there are black. I've been there at different times and its safer than many areas they would like to call safe and I've met some of the nicest people on the island in Loiza. So please stop the bad mouthing of Loiza.

Thank you for you input, Curarico!

First of all I don't think anyone is badmouthing Loiza.  If you are an outsider...ie: NOT Puerto Rican and someone asked if it was safe for example to move to La Perla...I would tell you no.  Why? Because historically outsiders are unwanted there, it is a high drug area, and there are a lot of crime and murders.  Have I spent time in La Perla? Yes many times since I have friends that live there, and I didn't feel unsafe...but that does not mean that I was safe. These are the same reasons that I would use to advise someone not to move to Loiza. Second its more complicated than race...most Puerto Ricans are proud of their African Heritage...Loiza has a bad rep because of the Drug Culture and Murders. In my previous comment I asked my Husband his opinion he grew up here, he still lives here, and also he had Family from there and his advice was no its not safe.  Third...yes crime in PR is widespread...there is not one place that is really safe...crime happens everywhere...its really not like other places where there are dividing lines. Also Crime might have gone down in certain areas because of the major drug busts that happened in the last few years where they took down a lot of people. But that does not mean things are now safe or have changed. With all that being said If you like it there and want to risk it...then go for it.

What I have noticed in this thread is there are locals (including my PR husband and his co-workers) who have said this is not a safe area but the people who have visited as a tourist has said it's wonderful. Considering locals are of mixed ethnicities/races and have a life time of experience living here, I find it astounding they're being branded as racists by ppl who were there for a day trip. It's incredibly disrespectful and insulting. Of course there is inter-racism in all societies but I have yet to meet a Puerto Rican that isn't over the top welcoming of ALL ppl. If a local tells me an area is not safe, I listen to them. If OP, etc doesn't like the answers, they need to find out for themselves, period.

No one ever said anyone was racist...relax!

By the way Karen, I was simply asking for experiences good or bad. I went on to share with you all what some locals have told me. Just because they are not aligned with your husband's experience is no need for you to feel so offended and "insulted" it's a.forum ppl can share their views as they wish. Lighten up :)

I am with Dora, and yes racism was implied, I did not respond because I did not wanted to get in an argument. My grandather on my father side is a black Puerto Rican, we are one race Puerto Ricans, we are a mix of Taino, Spaniard, and African, with maybe a little Chinese trown in for good measure, they were brought in as cheap hired help long ago.

The Puerto Ricans in that area (Loiza) have decided to maintain a strong hold to the African traditions, dances, etc. We all enjoy that side of our history and beginings.  We love the Loiza Fiestas and Traditions, but we do not like the crime in the area.

You are all so sensitive on this race thing. If the locals feel like people are afraid of Loiza bc of the amount of.blacks that's their opinion. Maybe you should consider this perspective and consider why they may feel this way. No need to act like people are calling YOU a racist. What a joke grow up people.

JF214 wrote:

You are all so sensitive on this race thing. If the locals feel like people are afraid of Loiza bc of the amount of.blacks that's their opinion. Maybe you should consider this perspective and consider why they may feel this way. No need to act like people are calling YOU a racist. What a joke grow up people.

You know something, I never understood why in the mainland there is such a thing as racism. even in the military there was always tension. I got along with everyone and partied with everyone but never understood how people can still hold a grudge for something that happened that long ago. Take a look at the newspapers and the riots.
I think I will never understand it either.

By the way, La Perla is another place to avoid.

boricanroots wrote:

I have only visited Loiza but it is absolutely beautiful! I'm sure there is crime just like anywhere else so I would suggest continuing to research online and contact a realtor for more information. Also, take a drive around the neighborhood at different hours of the day to see what kind of element is hanging around. Really, it depends on your definition of "unsafe" so take that into account. Just my dos centavos!

This post has really gone left! As a tourist who only visited Loiza, I am going to quote myself and remind the original poster that no matter where they choose to live, they have to decide what "unsafe" means to them and go from there. What may be deemed dangerous to one may not mean the same thing to another. And no matter where you are on the island or the mainland, you have to ask yourself that question.

ReyP wrote:
JF214 wrote:

You know something, I never understood why in the mainland there is such a thing as racism. even in the military there was always tension. I got along with everyone and partied with everyone but never understood how people can still hold a grudge for something that happened that long ago. Take a look at the newspapers and the riots.
I think I will never understand it either.

And Rey, the reason the grudge is held on to is because while freedom papers were signed years ago, there continues to be systematic racism that has been put in place to hold one group down while uplifting another. You are right, we should be able to let go and move on but if the system is designed to keep you in place, and because of this, you are always reminded that you are not a part of the uplifted group then there will continue to be tension. We aren't post racial as everyone would like to believe and there are stories in the news every day that prove this. This is why blacks  continue to be sensitive to the words used to describe anything that revolves around their lives. If you haven't lived it then you are right...you probably will never understand...and that is ok. Just continue being you!  :top:

In my opinion I really don't think Loiza gets a bad rap because "most of the people that live there are black or that the locals are afraid of Loiza because of the amount of blacks". These are statements that were made and people are responding to it. Why? Because it's generally NOT the way Puerto Ricans think...Sorry.  What kind of locals are you talking to? Sure anything is possible there could be a few random people that feel that way but I'm sure it's not the norm. Why? Because all Puerto Ricans are mixed...most had a Black Grandfather somewhere and Puerto Ricans are very passionate about their Roots.  Also I think what Rey said is a more accurate statement about how Puerto Ricans feel that "they enjoy Loiza for that part of their History, Festivals, and Traditions but not the crime."

Some of you keep bringing up the racist thing, nobody mentioned racist, so kool of, no one said there weren't problems, but like you said its ALL OVER

YOU ARE ON THE MONEY. Enjoying the music and what the culture has to offer is not accepting your roots. I speak, read and write Spanish so I talk to a lot of people and most important I ..LISTEN A LOT to people who don't know I understand what they are saying

No it is not safe as far as Loiza the city.  There are a few gated communities, but entrance in and out can be iffy at night. There is a section near the Outlets that is also listed as Loiza, It depends on what part, you'd have to specify. I am assuming you are northamerican with no spanish. If so, you would be wise to start off in Rincon, Condado/Ocean Park. Test the waters, get a dose of the culture, then make a move.  I speak with some authority, my puerto rico "family" (not actually related, but we consider each other family) has one son in Loiza, and there is frequent gunfire, I visit the city quite often. My two best friends grew up there. Yes, they are black. In Puerto Rico most of us don't give a crap about skin color since we are all dark after a few months anyway. It's not a racist thing, that is rare here, it's a safety thing. Loiza is a corridor for drug smuggling between Pinones and the barrios in Loiza, just my humble opinion.

Is anyone familiar with Vega Baja?

If you are currently in Pr, please please stay prepared, last weekend 3 killers was lose, police say they was looking for them (LOL) On Dec. 8,2023 I woke to one of these killers trying to steal my vehicle, he was armed. I shot a warning shot at 50 yards 12" from his foot and he didn't blink. My wife called 991 four times and they simply said we don't have anyone to send. I held on this guy nonstop for 2.5 hours without lowering my firearm. Finally, police arrive only to treat me as the criminal, they did not search him, handcuffed him in the front (not behind) placed him in the front seat of a police truck with only one policeman. No report taken by police etc. I said to the police "make sure you take him for some crispy creme donuts) he did not go to jail he was released same day. So thank god for the 2nd amendment, you're on your own here and have to be your own 911.cause aint nobody coming. All the training in the world does not prepare you for a real life situation you may have to make quickly. Please my motto is "don't get ready.....stay ready" And i live in the remote center of the mountains. The threats are real please please be aware at all times.

I'm sorry for your terrifying and frustrating experience. I was actually getting ready to make a gun question post, so maybe you can answer my question. I have a finca in Humacao and want to buy a .22 rifle like my dad has on his farm in the states. I want it for iguanas and scaring away stray dogs that want to eat my livestock. My neighbor who has multiple guns said you can't discharge your gun on your own land unless it's self defense. Is that true? Also, do you apply for a gun license before going to the gun store? I've never owned one. My grown son is coming for Christmas and will teach me how to shoot. He has been going to the gun range since he was a little boy.

@fincanuevacreacion

If you're simply interested in a firearm for cats, iguana's etc. I would strongly recommend a brand called Gamo. look online you can purchase without a license. These pellet rifles are extremely accurate and effective. some in the states actually hunt small game with this rifle. It does not require co2 cartridges to charge the rifle its simply cock the barrel and remove safety and you're ready. It's a single shot however in a emergency can still be lethal against deterring an intruder. I would not be buying a pellet rifle local simply 2 reasons, the ones they sell are low quality and very expensive. look online for the name Gamo air rifles and purchase they will ship it USPS and you can also purchase the pellets for the rifle. extremely effective on the above-mentioned nuisances.

If at some point you are interested in obtaining a gun license here in PR , please reach out I can assist directing you in that process to avoid being taken advantage of here. I hope this help you!

Wow, Karma, that was very helpful! I'm looking online right now. If I go for a license later, I'll definitely reach out.

Thank you!

Maria

@Karma7553

Do you know about the law my neighbor was referencing? I understand not indiscriminately shooting, but can I shoot the Gamo on my own land?