Non renewal of contract/ termination during SL/ maternity leave

Hi All, i was just wondering if anyone of you are well knowledgeable with regards to these laws in Dubai? Im working as a contractor- meaning my visa is from another company and physically working for another as well. My contract is expiring during which time I will be on maternity leave. My question, although I know that by law, they cannot terminate a woman on maternity leave, im not sure if its the same as non-renewal of contract?

Appreciate any thoughts/ help..

Thanks..

If you want to renew your visa, you must be here in this country. Or else, they need to start from the beginning as a fresh visa.

Oh im sorry, i am currently in Dubai and will be delivering here as well.. So its not really a matter of presence.. What i really wanted to find out is if they decided not to renew my contract, what are my rights?

mansanas06 wrote:

Oh im sorry, i am currently in Dubai and will be delivering here as well.. So its not really a matter of presence.. What i really wanted to find out is if they decided not to renew my contract, what are my rights?

It depends on your employer. Since you have completed your period of contract, either they can go for renewal or non renewal. I hope they won't go for non renewal since you deserve humanity.

Yes in normal circumstances they have the option not to renew and its legal. What about if it falls during maternity leave??

mansanas06 wrote:

Yes in normal circumstances they have the option not to renew and its legal. What about if it falls during maternity leave??

You don't have to worry since your maternity leave is sanctioned by your employer,. After all, there is a concept called humanity. So, let's hope for the best.

Thanks.. only i doubt that they are humane..

mansanas06 wrote:

Thanks.. only i doubt that they are humane..

Why?

Well for starters, there has been huge management change, so i had a new boss, and considering my pregnancy being on high risk, i asked my new boss how do we proceed in the renewal if im on maternity, and his answer was 'i cannot commit'- meaning he cannot commit if they will renew me bec i feel they wanted to save on paying my benefits.. I should be completing my 3rd yr in the company by Feb nxt yr but they worry that i may be gone for quite sometime and they just needed someone to do my job, and hiring a reliever and giving me my benefits will somehow double their company expense.. Even the HR cant give a definite answer. I would not question if the cause is due to poor performance or that they're not happy how i work, but clearly it's just bec of pregnancy related issues... And im not in the right condition to look for a replacement at this time either!

Wish you all the best. That's what I can say now

Contact MOL 800 665. You may get correct info. Good Luck