Private Mailbox near Rincon

We currently have a private mailbox at the UPS store in Aguadilla (near the airport) so that we can receive packages (the USPS only accepts packages shipped through them) but it takes about 45 minutes to get there from Rincon.  Does anyone know of any other non USPS (ie private company) any closer?  I've heard a rumor there's one in Aguada but haven't been able to find it online.

Why the USPS store and not the regular USPS office?
Both should have PO Boxes, not sure what the advantage is for the store over the regular post office.

If you can find a business willing to accept your UPS package this works. For example I have a friend that used Banana Dang (when it existed in Rincon) to receive his UPS packages. So if you're friendly with someone who has a business you can avoid the 45 minute drive to Aguadilla.

However Rey has a point about using the USPS instead of UPS. Is there a reason that you must/prefer UPS? The USPS works very well.

My point is that the regular post office service is probably 10 minutes away from you and it is the same service you get in the US mainland.

If you are at a number/name street and house has a number it is easily located and there should be little need to use any form of PO Box. Even when dealing with "Campo" addresses such as town, road number, kilometer number, the postman tends to learn who lives along his route and can deliver to your house. But "Campo" addresses may be unreliable as it depends on who is doing the route.

Just get a PO Box at the regular post office which is closest to you and is likely to be cheaper than the store. US Federal Laws apply so service should be reasonable.

Good Luck

Thanks for your responses.  Our house is up in the hills and AAA, CRIM and AEE can't agree on exactly the kilometer number.  When we asked about mail delivery possibility, we got a laugh. 

The problem with a box at the post office is they can't accept packages shipped via UPS or FedEx.  My primary reason to have a box is for when we buy things online.  I asked a friend who has a box at the post office what she does.  When I explained that they won't sign for other carriers' shipments, she finally understood why some things she orders on Amazon arrive fine and others get shipped back.

victorlglass - thanks for the suggestion about a friendly local business!

I see said the blind!
Fortunately I have family in the island with regular addresses so I can always ship to them.
Make friends with a business even if it is a bar or restaurant, or check the mailing options and see if they will ship it regular mail.

ReyP - I haven't heard that saying in years!  It takes me back :)

There is a sign in front of the post office in Aguada that says they receive packages from UPS and FEDEX.  Here is the exact text in Spanish:

"Apartados Disponibles Ahora

Puedes recibir paquetes de FEDEX y UPS en tu apartado y alertas de mensajes de texto cuando recibes paquetes o cartas."

David

That's fabulous davidtx - thanks so much!

Thanks David. I wasn't aware that fed ex and ups could be delivered to the post office. We got a p.o. box since our house doesn't have a mailbox and our landlord suggested it before we went to AAA and AEE.

We have had it for over a year and we know we show get a mailbox and let go of the box but we would have to change so many things to the street address. So we are hesitating.

We do have a store in town that accepts shipments from fed ex and ups so we would be in a pinch we could use them

Hi Tonie.

I don't know if every post office accepts packages from FedEx and UPS.  The one in Aguada gives you a "physical" address which is basically their street address with your PO Box number as the unit number.

Check with your post office to make sure.

David

At the Rincon Post Office you can have both Fedex and Ups drop off parcels to the retail counter if you have a PO Box (not street box). They will place a parcel notice in you PO Box (not street box) and you can pick the parcel when you want.
The only catch is you just have to sign a form allowing the post office to accept your parcels.

My street box and house are impossible to find so this works great for me and now I don't have to drive to UPS Mayaguez anymore.

It's super easy and convenient plus the new postmaster from Alaska is Awesome.

That's even better news - thanks for letting us know!