Cost of living in Mauritius

Hi Rajesh,

Its good that you are reaching in MU. You can read old post where you can find most of the info. By the way which field you are belongs to? Presently I'm looking for position/job in Design agency/Web design/Multimedia or Print house as Graphic Designer/Art Director. Kindly help of someone has info for the same & someone wants real good & experienced expat to grow his company in MU.

Hello all,

I am currently looking for a studio furnished to rent for a month, perhaps in March (is that a good month?) I am looking to spend 600-800euro for the apartment. I have looked a lot online and found some. But is there one that is the best value or recommended by members?

Thanks alot! I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi and welcome 781elephant,

could you please create a new post and give more details about what you are looking for?

Thanks

Julien

Hi

It seems that my partner will get a job offer in Grand Bay and we are trying to calculate the cost of living, etc.

Could you please have a quick look to this and tell us whether it is roughly what we could expect?

food price, two people per month     Rs 10,000    ($339)
2 bedroom flat    15,000Rs    ($508)
energy price :     Rs800    ($27)
internet ADSL 512     Rs1,750    ($59)
Mobile phone:     Rs300    ($10)
Water and Waste Water bill     Rs400    ($14)
Housing Council tax     Rs1,000    ($34)

Total    Rs29,250    ($992)

Is there any other general costs?

Thank you very much for your help.
Hana

renting a flat is cheaper than renting a house, it might be ok with 15,000 rs. You'll spend minimum 2,000 rs per month if you use air con.
ASDL 1 Mo costs arount 1700 rs

Won't you rent a car? (add 12~15,000 rs)

Hi all,
I am an Indian doctor ,having an offer of mauritius rs10000/month($3400 aprox) at floreal plus accommodation 2bhk (furnished flat)plus 1300cc car.can any body tell me regarding the salary of doctors overthere?also please tell  me about the cost of living including telephone  expenses both landline and mobile,internet,groceries etc.
Also please tell me about the tax system in mauritius and what will be the saving?
I also  have an offer of  rs.170000 (indian)($3700/pm aprox) tax free plus accomodation from abu dhabi.which offer should I choose?
thank you

Hi Fantany,

I have moved to Mauritius after living in UAE for almost 18 years. Abu Dhabi is good and not affected like Dubai. The cost of Housing there is expensive but since your company has given you accomodation then it should be okay. There is a very large community of Indians there and you will feel at home. You will get your internet and land line within a day. You cannot live there permanently.

Mauritius on the other hand is good if you want a better quality of life. The water, air and everything else is fresh. Mauritian are very warm and helpful. Instead of a apt you can also move into a bungalow as rents are cheap. However you will not get your telephone line and internet before 2 months. TV channels are mostly French but there is an South African cable with English channels.15% taxes cut from your salary and you pay a VAT of 15% whenever you shop. Floreal is a beautiful place to live in.You can live here permanently if you want to.

Both countries are good provided you earn well. It all denpends on what you want from life and your defination of a better life.

Cheers

Terence

fantanyl wrote:

Hi all,
I am an Indian doctor ,having an offer of mauritius rs10000/month($3400 aprox) at floreal plus accommodation 2bhk (furnished flat)plus 1300cc car.can any body tell me regarding the salary of doctors overthere?also please tell  me about the cost of living including telephone  expenses both landline and mobile,internet,groceries etc.
Also please tell me about the tax system in mauritius and what will be the saving?
I also  have an offer of  rs.170000 (indian)($3700/pm aprox) tax free plus accomodation from abu dhabi.which offer should I choose?
thank you

Hi Terence,

What would be the living expenses for a family of 3 with the company giving about US $ 4000 plus accomodation plus to and fro travel from place of work. do you think thats good enough to save  for rainy days and live a decent lifestyle. I want to send my child to a good school as well.
thanks

Hi Hsl,

I am not an expert on this and I am too just 3 months old in this country. As per Mauritian standard your package is good. You should go for it. You can send your child to a good school, have a decent lifestyle as well as save for a rainy day.

Welcome to Mauritius

Cheers!!!

Terence

hsl wrote:

Hi Terence,

What would be the living expenses for a family of 3 with the company giving about US $ 4000 plus accomodation plus to and fro travel from place of work. do you think thats good enough to save  for rainy days and live a decent lifestyle. I want to send my child to a good school as well.
thanks

Hi,
I am accountant (ACCA(uk)).Wanna know what is average salary for ACCA qualified in Mauritius?Also I can speak Hindi/Urdu and English but no French, would I be able to settle?Any Hindi/urdu speaking area there?

What would be cost of living for a single person in mauritius?Just give an estimate without a car hiring and accomodation preferably in Hindi speaking muslim community.

Hi Shanii,

If you read all the post you will get an idea about the cost of living in Mauritius. There are not too many Pakistanis in Mauritius , but there are a few.I know of a Pakistani living in my area and we talk in Urdu as I worked with Pakistanis in Sharjah.Most of the Mauritians speak English and Hindi so language is not a problem. There is also one Pakistani restuarant in Port louis. As for accomodation there are Muslims every where and you will be very comfortable as Hindus , Christians and Muslims live in harmony in Mauritius.

For you the biggest challenge would be finding a job, as it is not that easy. Once you move in with a good job then life is very easy thats why this country is called as Paradise.

shanii wrote:

What would be cost of living for a single person in mauritius?Just give an estimate without a car hiring and accomodation preferably in Hindi speaking muslim community.

Thanks Terence for ur reply.Plz guide.I am ACCA qualified which is recognized qualification in Mauritius for auditors and accountant.How is the market for auditors and accountants in mauritius?I am 23,would be moving outside Pakistan for first time, would I be able to settle?

Hi

I am currently looking into a secondment to Mauritius. 2 initial questions:

1. Considering the priceof Motor Vehicles in Mauritius I am looking into shipping our car from the UK to Mauritius. Does anyone know what import duties if any would be payable?

2. Does anyone know what a reasonable salary for a chartered accountant working as an auditor or similar in Mauritius?

Many Thanks

Sarah

HI JULIEN
CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT TO DO TO GET A WORK IN MAURITIUS,I AM HERE FOR THE PASS TWO YEARS AND STILL I CAN'T A WORK BECAUSE A CAN'T SPEAK FRENCE

Sarah > I am not sure it is worth shipping your car from the UK to Mauritius. It will probably more expensive than buying a new one here (even if prices are high here)

About your second question, I don't know, sorry (I should ask a friend)

adrie > could you please start a new discussion? (you are off topic)

Hi Julien
I am from India and planning to move to Mauritius. I am self employed. May I please know how much money it requires to have a decent life for us three, me, wife and 5 years old kid. I am okay with house away from sea beach. And also is it true that it is difficult to get high speed internet connection there?

Hi Sats and welcome on Expat.com !

you should read my very first post in this topic ;)

I have a 1 Go adsl line, that's enough for me ...

hope this helps,

julien

Je m'appelle Sandrine, je projette de vivre sous quelques mois à Maurice chez une amie franco-mauricienne installée à CUREPIPE; je voudrais savoir comment obtenir un titre de résident permanent ?  Combien d'argent me faut il verser sur un compte en banque Mauricien ? en France, suite à un accident de voiture, j'ai un statut 'handicapé' qui me permet d'avoir une somme d'argent = 20 000 euros/an qui pourra être versé sur mon nouveau compte Mauricien....:)MERci de me donner qq conseils, à très vite de vous lire
Sandrine

Bonjour Sandrine,

Bienvenue sur expat-blog.
Avez-vous déjà consulté le Guide de Maurice?
Sinon, je vous conseille de le lire et également de parcourir les discussions du forum ces dernières semaines.

Vous trouverez dans le guide et dans les discussions les premières réponses à vos questions tant en ce qui concerne les démarches pour obtenir un resident permit que ce qui concerne les exigences en matière de revenus.

Cependant si vous avez des questions supplémentaires à poser, je vous conseille de commencer un nouveau fil de discussion et c'est avec plaisir que moi-même et les autres membres tenteront de vous répondre.

Bonne soirée
Arlette

merci beaucoup, je vais aller voir le guide de l'île Maurice, bonne soirée
sandrine

does anyone know what the taxes for importing a car to mauritius is?
have a super day :)

Hi Julien,

Please let me know is furnished accomodation available with all the electronics items like Television ,Refrigerator, Air conditioner, Cooking oven ,and electrical fittings, or else we should purchase it locally?And what could be the rent for this sort of accomodation there. please reply...regards,

Hi All,
I wanted some information I have been offered a job in mauritius with a salary of US$ 4000/month + accomodation ( including utilities ), trasportation ( a car )taken care I want to know if this is enough to lead a comfortable life with some savings i am married but no kids. ps advice if this is a good salary to consider moving to mauritius.

Hi Vikram,

No problem, with this salary + package, you can lead a good life here in Mauritius taking in account that you have no kids so no school fees to pay. Did they include your annual leave + airtickets?

Arlette

Hi Arlette,
Thanks for the advice yes annual holidays with flight tkt bck home is part of the deal. I wanted to know if some money ( atleast 1000$ can be saved for a few of my financial commitments back home.

Yes Vikram, I suppose you could save that, all depends on your living habits!

Hello FreeAcer,

I joined the this blog last week and I have reading various posts and I found it very helpful.I am selfemployed and i am thinking of coming to work and live in Mauritius permanently if possible.Presently,I earn up to $3,000/month from my self-employed job.

What would you advice me to do for a start?I am thinking maybe it will be possible to come and see Mauritius first,then register a small firm if possible during my first visit.I am about to open a bank account with MCB limited.

Kindly advise me on what to do first.

Thank you as you respond to this my post

Hi Rafnet,

I think it's a good idea if you can afford it, to come to Mauritius and take all the proper information at the Board of Investment on what are the prerequisits for your installation in Mauritius, as a self-employed. Also it will enable you to "take the temperature" regarding your activity if it will be a suitable activity in Mauritius

All the best
FeeAcer

Hi FeeAcer,

Thank you so much.I appreciate your fast response.I will plan for a trip to come by early July.which visa type would be appropriate for my first visit?Tourist or business visa?I have read that their business visa is a little difficult.More so,i am a Nigerian and I need a visa to enter Mauritius.

They do not have an embassy here as well.

Thank you once again for the your response.

Hi Ranet,

On the website of the Passport and Immigration Office they say: "Air Mauritius Office where there is no Diplomatic/Consulate Representatives".

If there is no Air Mauritius Office in your country either, I advise you to write to the Passport and Immigration Office at the email address mentioned on the webpage.

All the best
FeeAcer

Hi,
Can some one ps advice me on the following :
I have been offered a job in mauritius, will be getting the contract tomorrow they have indicated to me that they will get me to mauritius on a 60 day business visa & then in the the interim when i am there they would apply for a work / employment permit. Is this ok / should i come to mauritius only when the work permit is organized. are there are legal issues here that i should be worried about?
Thanks...

Hi Vikram

It should be okay because you have to be here for your medicals. For me too I came here first on a tourist visa , it was then changed to business visa and I got my work permit. So it should be okay for you to come here on a business visa. Just for precaution that you are not making a mistake of leaving a good job and moving to Mauritius, just go thru your contract find out more about your new company and then join them.
Wish you all the best.
Terence

vikram_rp wrote:

Hi,
Can some one ps advice me on the following :
I have been offered a job in mauritius, will be getting the contract tomorrow they have indicated to me that they will get me to mauritius on a 60 day business visa & then in the the interim when i am there they would apply for a work / employment permit. Is this ok / should i come to mauritius only when the work permit is organized. are there are legal issues here that i should be worried about?
Thanks...

Thanks Terrence for the inputs i will go through the contract well before making a descision.
Regards,

Vikram.

First time I use this site so sory if I do it wrong, I got a job offer in Flic en Flac with a NET(after tax) sallary of 1800EUR / month. I currently live in South Africa, and earning about R16 000 net, and live very well. Can I have a descent life in Mauritius on 1800EUR / month? And is Flic en Flac a nice place to stay in. And perhaps what is the total expenses for a middle class working person will you say - I am in the IT industry? Many tx

Expat.com wrote:

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in Mauritius.

Don't forget to mention where in Mauritius you are living.

How much does it cost to live in Mauritius?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

Hi Julien/Terence,

I am a Network Security Engineer working in India.
I am being offered 1400 USD/month in both the places Mauritius and in India.
The Mauritian company offers accommodation on a sharing basis and local transport (not verified till now, what they mean by that)
I am at the moment confused, is it a good option to come to Mauritius and work.
Is the Cost of Living the same as explained by Julien around 18 months ago?

In short is this CTC okay, I have 4 years of extensive network security experience and to shift at the same CTC from India to Mauritius.

Thanks,
Launchpad.

Launchpad wrote:

Hi Julien/Terence,

I am a Network Security Engineer working in India.
The Mauritian company offers accommodation on a sharing basis and local transport (not verified till now, what they mean by that)

Thanks,
Launchpad.

Assuming 1 USD= Rs 30.6

1400 USD = Rs 42,840

Professional    Basic salary should exceed MRU 75,000 monthly for an occupational permit as per http://www.worknlive.mu/menuid1.aspx

So I wonder how the employer will be able to apply for a permit on your behalf?

External,

I think you are wrong,in that Launchpad says:

Launchpad wrote:

Meaning he's being offered 2 x 1400 US$ = 2800 US$ !

This is more than enough for an employer to apply for a workpermit for him under the new rules!

Cheers
Arlette

FeeAcer wrote:

This is more than enough for an employer to apply for a workpermit for him under the new rules!

Shouldn't he locally earn more than 75,000rs to get the occupation permit ?

FeeAcer wrote:

External,

I think you are wrong,in that Launchpad says:

Launchpad wrote:

Cheers
Arlette

Hi Arlette,

Its either India or Mauritius (both are different companies).

Is it advisable to come to Mauritius for 1400 USD?
Will it be sufficient for me. (Bachelor, no smoking, only fond of Photography and exploring to new places)

What would a local resident get approximately  with around my work-ex and qualification...??? any vague idea would also do...

Thanks,
Launchpad.