Exit Stage Left

I borrow this phrase with sorrow for I have made my decision to depart this city. I must state that it was not the city that I had a problem with, it was the working conditions that I was put under. As a westerner I am lucky enough to be able to just jump on a plane and go, it pains me to think of others who are less fortunate.

Let this be a lesson to all newcomers. It is advisable to come to Riyadh, check out your accomodation, your working conditions and the environment you will be working amongst before you make any commitments. It is normal to work under harsh circumstances for some, so it is presumed ok for others.

I am off the UAE and Bahrain in search of new opportunity so wish me the best of luck. With the permission of you all, I would like to drop into the forum from time to time.

Finally, I thank you all for your blogship, freindship and time. I wish you all the best in your endeavours here.

A special thanks to GWTFUK and her husband who are two kind and warm people!

Good grief bh, you've only been here weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry that you have ended up having to go. No chance of constructive dismissal then. :mad::mad::mad:

Good luck in the future.

And do keep us informed, please.

Dave

10 days to be exact!

Thanks Dave

10 Days?!?!?!

How bad could things be that you could only last 10 days?

This is a story we gotta hear.  Please?

Where do you want me to start,

1. We will put you up in a hotel...actually an apartment in the middle of no where with 3 room mates
2. The mini fridge for 3 room mates which is
3. Executive management role, actually a glorified PA
4. Housing will be complete in a week, actually no money for a few months to complete it

It is all not important.......I am just not happy and all the oil money in the world could never substitute my principles of first being health then happy.

Imagine 9 million minus 1 expats still hanging in here....without grumbling too much?

BH - So sorry to hear that you are leaving us.  Having listened to you the other night, I can only imagine how difficult things were and without adequate accommodations its just compounded. 

I always believe that things happen for a reason, so maybe this is your chance to shine somewhere else.  Best of Luck to you and regards to your family!

Be sure to keep us posted on where you end up!

Bass, I was enjoying the fact that salmon aint the only fish in this forum. :lol:

I'm gooing to miss you buddy, and sincere apologies for the mini misunderstandings here and dumping you there :P wish you the very and all the best for your future.

Salman

Bass,

I have to say I admire somebody who sees the handwriting on the wall and can make a decision before the long, downward spiral.

You're definitely right that your health and happiness come first and foremost. Unfortunately many people working here have to sacrifice those things to support their families in 2nd and 3rd world countries--I'm happy you're able to move on.

Best of luck to you and your family and please, keep in touch.  As Salmon said, we need more fish on this forum because we kitties like having you around lol

I'm so sorry to hear you had such a tough time. It was a pleasure to meet you, albeit briefly!
I wish you and your family all the best for the future, stay in touch!

Zara :D

Its a Global Village now. Gone are the days of first, second and third worlders

Damn, that was right quick. Sorry to hear ya go bud. Hopefully the next calling will be much better for ya!

musicman wrote:

You're wrong.

hey bassam...wat the hell?? u didnt even gave me a burp!! ;-)

well, it was really nice knowing u and dude, i cant believe u already left! i really had a nice chat with u on our way to ur house...well, life goes on...

All the best for ur future, that all i can say!

Ahh BHills, there goes our other half of the sushi; Bass, great to have met you. Travel safe.

Alliecat wrote:
musicman wrote:

You're wrong.

If that be so, then, why do the so called first worlders seek to live and work in the so called third and even enjoy it in the process?

bhills2153 wrote:

I borrow this phrase with sorrow for I have made my decision to depart this city. I must state that it was not the city that I had a problem with, it was the working conditions that I was put under. As a westerner I am lucky enough to be able to just jump on a plane and go, it pains me to think of others who are less fortunate.

Let this be a lesson to all newcomers. It is advisable to come to Riyadh, check out your accomodation, your working conditions and the environment you will be working amongst before you make any commitments. It is normal to work under harsh circumstances for some, so it is presumed ok for others.

I am off the UAE and Bahrain in search of new opportunity so wish me the best of luck. With the permission of you all, I would like to drop into the forum from time to time.

Finally, I thank you all for your blogship, freindship and time. I wish you all the best in your endeavours here.

A special thanks to GWTFUK and her husband who are two kind and warm people!

Oh, shit, we are losing a very good man here - I could spit in the general direction of those responsible - so sorry to hear this bh - will call you in the hope you haven't left us yet! Thanks for your kind words.

Alliecat wrote:
musicman wrote:

You're wrong.

Very wrong!

Hey Buddy,

Sorry to hear about your situation but don't watever happens for the best, i am sure you will get something. Wish you and your family best of luck for future. Keep in touch

Anil

Best of wish
Have a wonderful and prosperous future
May u get Best from your life
Its real sad u r leaving on Exit
However,I still believe "You should have tried to survive lil further"because that's the way it is.For initial few months we do face such problems and most of us did and things get better later.This is just not possible (in most of cases)u get opportunity to see your accommodation earlier but it does work out in some time and Companies are bound to give better facilities to westerner exclusively but of course your "Own decision" is the last decision:)

Again

Best of luck:)

gowiththeflowUK wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
musicman wrote:

You're wrong.

Very wrong!

Well, let me rephrase the statement then in the form of a few questions.

Are there First World nations that exists on the planet, anymore?

OR

Have they all come down to the level of the 2nd and 3rd world nations in the midst of the recent financial debacle, refugees, illegal immigrants, human rights violations, Gitmo, corruption, outsourcing, and even election fraud?

How attractive is the former first world to the decent peace loving third worlders, seeking prosperity, today?

musicman wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
musicman wrote:

You're wrong.

If that be so, then, why do the so called first worlders seek to live and work in the so called third and even enjoy it in the process?

People's personal tastes are irrelevant to your initial assertion that 'gone are the days of first, second and third worlders.'  To be brief, I'll just give one example: Somalia.

There are many examples of bad places on earth. I can give you more examples. At the same time the first world is also suffering many hardships that are pushing its people into desperate situations seeking desperate ends.

Britain has just announced 500,000 job cuts in the public sector. Now imagine the domino impact of such a harsh event? Europe is reeling from all kinds of ailments. North America is not doing too well either.

Its as if the planet is balancing itself out in some way or the other. Maybe nature is taking care of the tilt before we roll over 180 degrees and the sun rises from the West?

musicman wrote:

How attractive is the former first world to the decent peace loving third worlders, seeking prosperity, today?

Actually, hugely attractive. I grew up in Colombia, South America, a developing nation and therefore part of the 'third world'. It seems that everyone there dreams of going to the USA, Canada, Australia, Germany, Spain... These countries are still perceived as places to 'make good'. I've lost count of the number of times I've been asked if I can't help someone come to Australia. Even today, there is still enormous appeal in emigrating.

That could be easily cos of he previous hype that still lingers in the air that the grass is greener on that side of the ocean. However, in recent times we see more refugee/illegal immigrants rather than the genuine ones living in appalling conditions in the first world. Ive seen many of them in Toronto, Canada living in housing that would make the construction workers in the middle east blush.

Mostly, in the past, its the freedom, open society, opportunities, education, and other modern material needs that has attracted the third worlders to the west.

Isn't there a decline in many of those "streets paved with gold" in these trying times?

MM, what is important is that in 1st world people will mostly be dignified and treat humanily. It may be suffering economically but its is leaps and bounds ahead in the treatment of its citizens! That you can not deny!

A final note of thank you to all of you for kind words.

take care.

I have two more posts till I move to 100 and therefore up a level in status on the forum. I wish to do this whilst I am still in Riyadh so this post is 99

this is 100

Yippeeeeee! I am now a contributor!

Congrats !!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Yay, congrats - I like the levels here makes you feel like you achieved something (well that's how I think), your on track to serial expat!

^ We have levels here?

I never noticed.  Hmmm....

bhills2153 wrote:

MM, what is important is that in 1st world people will mostly be dignified and treat humanily. It may be suffering economically but its is leaps and bounds ahead in the treatment of its citizens! That you can not deny!

Yes, no doubt that has been the norm for many decades now and most folks from the third world have always admired it and based their need to move overseas on this simple fact. Question I have is whether that this very great trait is also on the decline now with people automatically forced to becoming selfish, hard and rightist in their thinking, in these trying times.

A simple glance around the many ethnic issues that are burning fires in North America and Europe tells us a whole story.

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
I could not get an exit visa. The HR Manager at work was awesome. He is a Saudi guy and gave me some awesome advice. He suggested that I should get an exit/entry visa once I receive my Iqama which is being processed. He was said he could give me a exit visa but then I could never return. Not that I am banking on returning, but he suggested that I if I did get another job, he would happily transfer me. Now I know the 2 year limit applies but he suggestion was that he would help me keep the door open.

So now I am here for a few more days, until I can leave!

GWTFUK, can I move in, too?

Pretty please???????????/

M & I are top people :top::top:

Awesome.  You are one lucky dude.

CivEngr you only a few away from being a contributor. Common catch up man!

Working on it.  Thinking of a new topic.