Cheaper Expat Insurance?

Does anyone know of how to find cheaper expat health insurance? The cheapest seems to run at 2,000USD. Unaffordable. Any suggestions?

brunnerlauren wrote:

Does anyone know of how to find cheaper expat health insurance? The cheapest seems to run at 2,000USD. Unaffordable. Any suggestions?

2K, you say.

Is that per month or per year?

Here in Ecuador I have been paying premiums of 73US per month into the government IESS program.  According to my pocket calculator, that is 876US per year.

cccmedia in Quito, Ecuador

Expat insurances, which have to cover every risk there is worldwide, are always costlier than local insurances in the country (or -ies) you reside in. Look for governmentally sanctioned or subsidized schemes, like the one cccmedia mentions above, which exist in many places.
(US$2000/year is very cheap for an Expat insurance - the ones I found a few years ago were all above US$4000/year!)

Hi and thank you for your response :))

Yes, I meant 2K per year. I did find a cheaper premium...about the same premium as the one you are talking about.

I looked up IESS and it looks like it's valid just where you are. I'll continue to research it. You have any more advice...let me know.

Thank you so much. You are very helpful.

Lauren

Live your expat project without any stress thanks to advice from expats

OR