Nervous, and yet excited

I will be moving there in October. My husband is there on a temporary basis right now. I will be joining him soon! I want to make sure I never offend anyone. I also hope to make friends so I am not lonely.If any of you have suggestions on daily living and getting accustomed!

Thank you,
Barbie  :D

Welcome! Come with an open mind and willing to learn and you will be just fine! :)

You didn't say which city in Saudi Arabia, however it doesn't really matter! Take these words form a Saudi who lived abroad for years in US and able to compare, it's the safest place ever! If any advice should be given is that melt in the society and get even more out of the local culture and you will get a full enjoyment. Many expat tend to stay away from the real people due to negative messages they receive. Of course you might face some restrictions, not from the city itself but rather from the hosts or where you will live. Compounds managements are usually apply just too much rules just to make sure they will not end up accountable for their Guests!

The Bottom-line go for it, you will never regret it  … as our black brothers say: if you go black, you never go back loool

Hi Barbie
I am due to move to Khobar in Feb and can barely contain my excitement.
Like you it is a nervous excitement being a step into the unknown but I have the philosophy that a place is what you make it and it's an adventure to a part of the world I probably would not of gone too had my husband not got employment there.
I've quizzed the life out of other half who has been there unaccompanied before but then it's a blokes point of view and I wanted to get information from a woman who has experienced it.
The forums and blogs on here are great as almost any question you can think of has been asked so I would advise reading through them. If an old post then you can always ask for update.
My biggest concern wasn't upsetting the locals (when in Rome and all that) but going from a full busy independent life to what appears to be a very quiet dependent existence and being bored....however although I know I shall probably have my moments if you are willing to engratiate yourself into the lifestyle, have an open mind and search out things then it will be fine......I haven't seen many posts where people have said it is awful and for escape there is always Bahrain lol.
This post is probably not a great deal of help about Saudi as I've not been there but was just to let you know there is at least another person feeling the way you do at the moment 😀

Nervous and excited, me too! My husband is now in Saudi and we (wife and kids) will be joining him..?? end of September , hopefully. We'll be in Khobar, he's looking at compounds now, hopefully he'll find something nice for the kids. If you're relocating to Khobar too, we'd be arriving around the same time both newbies, worth a coffee date perhaps? ;-)

Great comments, guys. I am an American Muslim living in Khobar. I prefer it here over other cities- quiet and laid back. I really hope you enjoy your stay here.  Saudi is one of the better places to be and you should feel quite safe here. I think living here is also a good place to raise your kids.
Let me know when u guys get here. My friend I plan lots of ladies' events. I know that alot o the compounds here plan things for ladies as well, so you shouldn't get too bored, lol! It's also pretty easy to get part time teaching jobs.
Anyways if yiu have anymore questions feel free to ask me!
Btw I am a certified childbirth educator and doula! I offer my services to women in the area.

That's really kind DoulakSA!
I won't be needing your professional advice I hope (we have 4 kids and with that the family is now complete ;-) ) but would love to meet at one of your events. I think I'd be quite busy in the beginning, trying to settle in the kids in their new lives, finding my way around,  and I'm reschooling to become and english teacher with lots of homework to do each week, but indeed I was worried about 3 to 6 months down the line, when kids are settled, life would get a bit....boring. I need to keep busy I think! I'm very excited about this opportunity and want it to be a great experience. I know we're very priviliged to be offered this opportunity and am looking forward to it! (not to the move itself though, boxing up, making sure I have all medication with prescriptions on me, long flights and when you finally get to KSA apparently another few hours to get through customs..hope the kids don't get too fussy, they'll be very tired upon arriving I'm sure, just see myself standing there in a loooooong line with 4 crying overtired kids...argh!!)