Motorbike license

This has no doubt been addressed here before, but I am fairly new to VN, and am wondering what the law is for foreigners driving motorbikes here.  Thanks.
Rob Weeks

Hi Rob,

It is not recommended for anyone to drive without a license here in Vietnam. As stipulated at Point c of Paragraph 2 & Paragraph 5 ; Point b of Paragraph 7 of Article 24 of Decree No. 71 /2012 / ND – CP, there are 3 cases of sanction for violation:

1.    The motorcycle driver who not bring with driving license on driving will be fined from 80,000 VND to 120,000 VND ;
2.    The motorcycle driver has no driving license will be fined from 800,000 VND to 1,200,000 VND ;
3.    The motorcycle driver has no driving license for motor vehicle with a cylinder capacity of 175 cm3 or more will be fined from 4,000,000 VND to 6,000,000 VND.

Also, in case the motor vehicle driver has no driving license, the vehicle the will be confiscated for 10 days as stipulated in Point h, Paragraph 1, Article 54 of the Decree no.71/2012 / ND - CP.

Please check out at this link to know how to get a Vietnamese license for motorbike:

va-vietnam.com/how-to-get-a-vietnamese-driving-license-for-motorbike

Cheers,

Hong

Thanks so much.  I appreciate your help
Rob

If you have a foreign motorbike licence, it is possible to use that to get a VN driving licence, which will be for the same class of vehicle and for the same period as you overseas licence. Ask you local VN traffic police office what the requirements are.  They include  translations of your documents and certified copies of the originals.  I didn't have these, so sat for the written exam in Vietnamese. You may also now drive on an International Driving Permit.

Thanks, I appreciate the information.
Rob

Rob
I'm British and have a French licence for cars and motorbikes up to 125cc.

Filled in a form in Hanoi, 3 days later I got my VN car and motorcyle licence. The only caveat, it was issued only until the expiration date of my visa.

If you are in Hanoi and need an application form send me your email address.

no, I'm one or two kilometers south of you, I'm in Ca Mau.  But I appreciate the offer and the info, and I think I will have one of my VN students here take me to apply for a license and see what happens.

Thanks again