I am opening a new three wheel bike businesses in vn

i am an expat from usa and love to live in vn.  i am opening a three wheel bike business in saigon.  since vn has alot of accidents, i think we need three wheeled bike to prevent falling off bike and hit the head.

what u think, please give me some feedback

The only 3 wheeled bikes I see are modified scooters for the disabled and big bikes with side cars.

As for not falling off them, your deluding yourself if you think 3 wheels will prevent that, it may on occasion stop the bike falling over, but I can guarantee you will still fall off one in a collision and if the bike does tip over, it's gonna be fun up-righting it!

If your worried about hitting your head, invest in a decent (european\usa) crash helmet that is designed to survive impacts rather than the cheap plastic things so many people wear around here.

Not sure if your aiming at the right market, but I do like trikes and have ridden plenty over the years, they're great fun, but not so nimble to navigate through the traffic.

good luck :)

You're looking at a very specialized area and very stigmatized as well. Then you also need to consider, can these people afford this type of bike? The average income is around $1500 per year. If anything, they get it through donations from some charity group. Well off Vietnamese are driving cars now. And a lot of times, as is the case, bike+car=death. The person is usually crushed to death. I saw my first brain scattered on the road this year; it's not something you would want to see. So what I'm saying is that this market is very small and specialized.  I'm not saying there's not a need but it'll be a really tough sell.

Nice when knowing you like to live here. I think you will lose money if you open store to sell three wheels bike in SG. Bcz:

- Saigon people they use cars, bikes and bicycles. Not easy for the people want to try a new style of bike.

- And here is super tracfic jam.

So i think better you think about another plan...

Yuli

Kind of off topic here, but @Mark_SuSu, my cursor happened to randomly stop on your flag and it says you are from CT? Where abouts? I was born and raised in Connecticut and lived there my entire life until my move to VN 2 years ago

thanks everybody for the advices.  my bike has a roof and front shield to prevent dust and rain.  it has ipod dock, speakers, antilock brake, a trunk and side doors.  it is like a mini car.  what u think

is it like those 3 wheel motorbike taxis they have in Thailand?

no, they are not tut tut, it is much slimer , just like  abike

ah like a cyclo but with a roof

To add to the troubles, you'll need a special license to operate 3 wheels bike (modified bike for disabled people are excluded). It's called A3 license. Most people will avoid getting another license for something unnecessary (fun but still unnecessary)

What are you talking about, Bem?

Nick's bikes are like those Fred and Barney ride all over Flintstones.  They need no license!!!

hahha, i like Wild1 idea of my bike man,  it is exactly what my bike is, not more modern, hahaahah

thanks guys for all of ur help

god bless vietnam and only vietnam, lol

I think before you open a business, you need to research the market here. Here, i see that only some of the handicap people use the 3 wheels bike, but it is not large market. Due to it is not suitable with the traffice here, so except use the car, people prefer to drive motobike with 2 wheels, it is easier to go home :)

thanks , i do understand that vn has alot of traffic.  bad one it is.  would u think it is easier to fall of a two wheel bike or a three wheel bike.  vn has so many traffic accident, i wonder if my bike would help,  my bike is not big in width, it is about the width of two regular bikes  combined.  the length is about 1.5 times the normal bike.  what u think, would my three bike help people not falling off as easy as a two wheel bike

thanks, alot,

god bless vietnam and vietnam only

it also has roof and shield from front and sides, would that help vn people with all the sun and dust... pollution

feeback please,

Ok ask yourself this question, why do people fall off bikes?

Answer usually because they have been hit by another vehicle.

If your design can prevent a bike falling over on impact then great, but at the size your describing I can't see many people buying it based the size. What about the price? Unless it's at a price on a par with two-wheelers you're going to put people off.
At least not outside a niche market.

While we're talking about size, one advantage of the normal 2-wheeled motorbike is that it can fit into tight spaces - especially handy in a traffic jam. Anything larger than the typical motorbike here in Vietnam might as well be a car. I have never fallen over, or fallen off my motorbike unless I was hit, or I hit something. That has happened a total of 3 times to me in 5 years of riding, and 2 of the 3 were my fault.

I originally thought the thread was about "handicapped" bikes. Sorry but your plan won't work here. As mentioned by other writers, space here is a premium and fitting a 3 wheeler into some "hems" or alleys is going to be a wonderful challenge. even regular bikes have a problem. Hell, Spiderman would have a problem.  There are bikes btw that comes with windshields, roof, stereos,etc., in forms of 2 and 3 wheelers. They look quite practical but the price is way out of the ball park for Vietnamese. Your average Vietnamese won't be your niche for this idea since it won't be very cost effective as well as physically practical for this city.

Sorry Charley

I think falling off the bike is the least of their worries.

A bigger concern would be transporting large items or numerous items in a safe manner. Maybe if you modified your bike a bit to fit this niche of the market which is competing with cars/trucks you might be on to something.

I could see restaurants and businesses using your bikes as a cheap alternative.

Glad to see somebody with innovative ideas. Remember success comes with numerous failures. Wish you all the best of success.

Did you ever get your business opened - I am looking for a proper 3 wheel bike/scooter,

thanks khanh for the encouragement

god still love vn

Great...I am currently in Hanoi. Motorbike is the easiest, most convenient way around. But I can't ride even a simple bicycle and am looking for a three-wheeled scooter/electric bike/ motorbike. I dont care being called an "invalid". People's narrow-minded comments are the least of my concerns. I NEED A TRANSPORT. This is what bothers me... EVERYDAY... xeoms are ok. but i hate the waiting.

Great.  Your post is about a year old and am not sure if you have successfully opened your 3 wheel bike shop in Saigon.  If you have would be interested in talking to you about purchasing a 3 wheeler.  Am in Chiang Mai, or north of.  Feel that the general public and myself would be safer on a three wheeler.  Have a truck, but it just is not the vehicle to site-see.  Do a lot of exploring back roads and just stopping to take pictures of whatever.  Am never in a hurry.  Can not find a 3 wheeler here in Thailand.  Been here three years and have not seen one.  Understand there are a few around (possibly the Bangkok area).  The idea is to fly to Vietnam and ride back.  More later on that subject.  Need the info on getting the bike first.  Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.   Would like a good bike, but inexpensive and 150 to 250 cc.  Your replay will be appreciated.  An also from the USA.

bob

Seems like you could find a Piaggio MP3 in Bangkok.  For example, here's one:

http://www.muamat.com/classifieds/1197/ … 250cc.html

oldexpat wrote:

Great.  Your post is about a year old and am not sure if you have successfully opened your 3 wheel bike shop in Saigon.  If you have would be interested in talking to you about purchasing a 3 wheeler.  Am in Chiang Mai, or north of.  Feel that the general public and myself would be safer on a three wheeler.  Have a truck, but it just is not the vehicle to site-see.  Do a lot of exploring back roads and just stopping to take pictures of whatever.  Am never in a hurry.  Can not find a 3 wheeler here in Thailand.  Been here three years and have not seen one.  Understand there are a few around (possibly the Bangkok area).  The idea is to fly to Vietnam and ride back.  More later on that subject.  Need the info on getting the bike first.  Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.   Would like a good bike, but inexpensive and 150 to 250 cc.  Your replay will be appreciated.  An also from the USA.

bob

You also need an A3 licence to " legally  ' ride them in VN, I heard a bloke up here just bought a Wixiang 3 wheel cargo bike for 40mil VND, ( from HCMC ), I'm sure these were around the 60 mil mark before, I was looking for one, but couldn't get one locally, ( I wanted a warranty, I've seen a few being repaired while on trips to Da Nang ), I lost interested after finding out they are geared to 60 kph, ( maybe they should just have an overdrive for the h/w ).
www.alibaba.com/showroom/three-wheel-cargo-bike.html
  I see you can even get an electric drive train for them now.

i think its a good idea/ 
do they sale 3 wheeler motor bike in viet/ 
iam living in pattya thailand
everey body is renting motor bikes for rent but the 3 wheeler. there is only 1 person doing it.
can you please give me same information, re are the motor bikes brand name, re honda ect, thank you enzo  my skype name siambella1

siambella wrote:

can you please give me same information, re are the motor bikes brand name, re honda ect ...

The 'homemade' 3-wheel business practically died after the government changed the rules. Only certified handicapped can use them.

The haulage 3-wheelers still proliferate but they HAVE TO BE TYPE APPROVED - i.e. made by a professional bike company - not some creative welder. Many are imported from Canada, which is strange as I never saw them when I lived there.

HONDA has a small 3-wheeler - with lots of baggage racks - and KYMCO has moved to a new factory and they are adapting an existing three-wheel product to meet the new regulations.

I saw some nut case driving a three-wheel 'hog' (2 wheels in front, 1 behind) that was wider than nearby taxis. Funny watching him trying to turn corners, he would need training as a tractor-trailer driver. That back wheel really moved at speed, sideways, when he turned. The thing belched smoke (which will interest the police) and made a noise like a banshee.

than you so much  . enzo

(Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls)

Keep me in contact I will be looking for 3 wheeler when I get there. Maybe 2 as I have a girlfriend in Hanoi and will use for travel between city.

Urals !!!

Go Red !
Right now I bet you can get good prices on Urals , or Chinese copy of 1948 BMW Sidehsck rig .
I would like to own one . Yes .

Good luck ! Chris .

Ah ...
I am also from USA , and I HAVE disabled permit here for steel in leg . I can provide this to Vietnam authorities if required .

Hence my desire to bring in side car rigs .
Also practical too .

Good luck ! Chris

Build one and show it.  A picture is worth a million dong

Id be happy with a cool golf cart with plates and turn signals and break lights

I am in Japan now. There are many 50 cc Honda Gygro used to delivery goods around.

http://www.motorsbros.com/model/Honda-Gyro-Canopy.htmlhttp://youtu.be/mMbEc4TQeKo

How can I bring it back one?

Im guessing the roads in Japan are much nicer.  That thing looks cool but the pot holes here would tear it apart.

are you talking about Canam motorbike?  you may have traffic issues! they take nearly as much room as a car,at peak hour you dont see many cars on busy streets, local riders want to cut traffic and take risks, maybe low cost helmet shop would be

Mark ...

Saw a real slick three wheel Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 . You guys would love it .
Not as wide as Can Am but had nice fenders and foot rests on bike . Furthermore the gear shift is mounted ... bolted ... to front head and used handle with lever to shift .
Hurst shifter . All chrome and factory built , dual disc rear drilled rotors too . Beautiful .

Anyone want pictures send email I will send along . Bike was in Anacortes , WA. state San Juan Islands .
Cheers Gang !!

instead of a three wheel bike.. just sell/make the side car..
the side car can be attached to your motorbike..

I am coming in January 2016 and would be very interested in purchasing one. Let me know if you open for business by then.

Thanks,
Dan

Closed