Moving to the dr from niece

hi everyone, i originally pm'd bob k just as he seemed to be a bit of an expert on the whole scene in the dr, but i'm sure there are plenty of good people out there who would have good advice on a move...

so i'm looking to move and am primarily interested in the north coast.  i've been to the dr several times, always to cabarete, which i'm very attracted to.  my spanish is intermediate, but i think some further classes before i moved and then being immersed would push me to a higher level quickly.  i've been speaking spanish at a consistent level for years

i would plan however in spending a couple of months traveling the country and trying to get feel for different areas

i'm 47 and single.  i have about a few US saved and at some point soc security would kick in, but i guess in about 20 years :)

i would like to be close to the beach and i like cabarete for that fact.  i've been in and around sosua many times, but usually just day trips to chill at the beach there, which i like.  but i'm not that familiar with that area, other than it's nightlife scene, which isn't my thing

eventually i would like to settle in a nice, relatively modern one bedroom, close to the beach, but am open depending on price.  i would also like to supplement my income.  i can teach english or perhaps invest in some small business of some kind.  i would love to have a little bar or smaller hotel, maybe with a partner?

i've read a lot about the cost of living, but really it seems to vary quite a bit, that's why i think spending a couple of months looking around, talking to real estate agents, etc seems to be a good idea

i'd also be interested in settling down with someone.  i've read a lot about that as well and there seems to be varying opinions on where and what kind of girls are available.  obviously i don't want anyone motivated by money, etc

would love to get any opinions from the board on any thoughts

best

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : slightly modified as requested by the OP
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

by the way, not sure where niece came from... i'm coming from nyc

First off welcome to the boards. I did get your pm last night but will respond here if that is ok

First off NEVER and I mean NEVER post money matters (how much you have to spend) and I would remove that from your post IMMEDIATLY. There are lots of folks here who would love to "help" you invest your funds.

You are doing it right by exploring the country and options before settling on a specific location or place.  The north coast has a very large expat community and is a good mix of locals, expats and tourists. You have already discovered how nice Cabarete can be.

As to finding a girl to settle down with that will be very hard especially in a tourist area.  Most are more interested in your wallet than you.  This is especially true when she is 10 years or more younger than you and again very true in tourist areas.  Take you time and find someone who; has a job, owns property, is not "broke" all the time, does not have 4 kids from 4 different men (known or unknown), is age appropriate, has family values and so on.  Not an easy thing to do.  You will find plenty of young women to "entertain" you but marrying material??????

Start your residency and cedula process (must be started in your home country) you will need this to work here legally and to reside here legally.  Also know the pay scale is VERY low with the average wage some where between $200 and $400 a month.

Yes cost of living is much less than what you know in NYC.  If you use local products (don't need imported foods), shop where the locals shop, look for bargains, keep yourself from being "taken" too often you will be able to maintain a similar lifestyle to what you have now for a bout 40% less.

Hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask questions and if I did not answer what you were looking for feel free to PM me again.

Good luck

Bob K

Hello sid, welcome to the DR Forum.

Mr. Bob has given you a healthy advice. I would add to that to be extremely careful in opening a business here, local competition and some corrupt folks in a power position will conspire against the good development of it. Also there are many places to explore and settle than just the north coast. La Romana for example is an amazing choice in the south coast and is very well located in the Dominican geography. It all depends of your needs.

Resuming, you may want to travel a bit around, explore, talk to the expats settled in the different areas, and read the topics of your interest available here in the forum and any other sources.

Best of luck.

thanks both and for the welcome, i will use this board as much as possible as it's a big decision and want to be sure... i will definitely be spending time initially in various areas, including in the south and checking out the major cities.

bob, i have asked that this be reposted without the dollar figure.  i did not find a way to edit so i think it's a moderator request.

about women, agreed, i'm not in a huge hurry and if i can spend time in other areas, even if living in somewhere like caberete, i'm hoping there are more opportunities, i.e. i don't need to meet someone only in cabarete.  i'm guessing it's possible to meet someone in santiago for example and if things work out, end up starting a life in the north?  or perhaps i can even live in a city where there are more opportunities to meet the right person, then move... just a thought

and drtuttle, noted on the business side.  i've heard that before.  though it seems there are definitely restaurants and bars, perhaps few, that are run by expats.  i think my main concern would be having something to occupy my time, and something that i'm interested in doing (specifically running a little business).  teaching may be something just to make a little money, meet people, and get out there.  i'm not really looking to just sit around on the beach or surf all day everyday

so perhaps a question might be for others is what do you do in the dr?  do you work or is it true retirement time?

For me we worked in real estate (sales) for the first 6 years of so because were a bit bored. Since have re-retired and now just do charity work and are beach bums

Bob K

Hold on while I control myself from an extreme fit of laughter that could of made me pass out. Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. With all respect, is that even possible here? I can't imagine it. Ok, yes, yes, it might be possible, but don't hold your breath. I will go back to controlling my laughter now :)

"obviously i don't want anyone motivated by money, etc"

If you live with the locals, the cost of living is cheap. If you live with the gringos, the price goes up exponentially. Plenty of choice.

First welcome to the forums. Bob has given you good info.  FInding a partner here is tough going.  Take your time, really get to know the culture and the language FIRST,  dont be in a rush.

Ask any quesitons you have....