Claro TV and Internet Setup and Installation

Hi Everyone,

We recently bought a condo in Cabarete and will be visiting and staying there for the first time in mid-October. We are having a lot of work and decorating done now in preparation and I'd like to get the TV and Internet up and running in time for our arrival.  The Condo has staff that can let the Techs into the unit.

Claro has been the most recommended for service in the area.  I visited their website and tried to set up something but was stymied when I did not have a Cedula/ID number to input.

Is it possible to do this online?  Any tips as to how to get it done?  Can I set up Credit Card payments with them?

Also, they package their residential phone service with the cable and internet.  Any recommendations on those would also be appreciated!

Any information would be helpful!

I am not sure you can do this without being here.   

I will double check but I am pretty sure you cannot.

I found Claro the most difficult to open an account as a resident.

They need DR credit ratings to open a contract for 18 months. At least in SD

Altice was more flexible.

Cable provision in DR is not so good imo and expensive for what you get.

Imo go for good wi fi and Netflix, Amazon etc to get what you watch. Much cheaper.

Viva offers a cheap unlimited wi fi package without contract. You buy the modem and pay monthly. Check the coverage on line. You walk in buy the modem and chip and buy a months service and done. Modem and chip cerca 5000 pesos. 5mb 1100 monthly.

Altice in capital was 3100 monthly with 18 month contract for medium package and variable wi fi despite stating fast. And they owned the equipment.

I have found altice to be faster and more flexible with contracts.  One option is to pre pay the contract.

Viva 5 mb contract will be eaten up fast if you don't have cable and use online services like netflix!   It will get expensive.

Is there anyone who can go and open the account in their name for you?  Once you have 3 to 6 months of payment receipts they will often let you transfer the contract into your name.

My error - Viva is either 5mbps or 3mbps unlimited. Not enough for gamers or business users with fast service needs, but more than enough for most of us.

You pay once a month for unlimited service. with 5mbps you do have a limit but it then drops to 3mbps.

That is more than enough for Netfix unlimited viewing each month. the coverage is good for most places as link below too.

https://viva.com.do/mifi-hogar/https://viva.com.do/cobertura/

This is correct, I have a condo and wanted claro for internet, I was told they are taking applications but they are then reviewing those applications and turning down people, in order to get internet I had to sign up under the real estate company for 6 months, the real estate company has an agreement with them, otherwise I would still be waiting.

I have heard that w/ CLARO, if you want Fiber Wire, you need a cedula.

Too many non-residents signing up and flying the coop....

Fiber is only for cedula holders

That is not  correct but you do need a credit history to get any  18 month plan.

and that comes from a DR bank..... I would imagine ??

Correct me please

Not necessarily,   they are often looking for payment history with them. SO  have a pay as you go,  keep your receipts then request a contract.

What about the 'hit & run' crowd ??

how do they control that?

Look into it.... I bet there's something there
I wonder if you're right ....about needing (or not) a cedula

I know several people with contracts and no cedulas.  Maybe though they are starting to crack down on it?  Not sure of recent changes.

This just applies to Fiber Optics.....

your friends have Hi - Speed ?

the source

No cedula no fiber optics high speed from Claro to many gringos and expats took off or failed to pay once given service.
You can get low speed and work your trust level up that way takes 1 or 2 yrs

Fiber optics is fairly new in most areas.  So how would many gringos already take off?   

I will ask my friends.

Thanks for the advice!  It's much appreciated.

The Condo complex I bought in is wired for Claro from what I'm told.   I have asked them to check out what I can do, but it's been a manana thing so far. 

This Condo has a pretty active rental program that they administer and they get a lot of Dominicans renting.  Hoping that means they can help.  I would think that renters want both cable and internet!

I do have several friends in the Cabarete-Sosua area who might be able to help...  I hope!