Maltese cuisine

Hi,

When living abroad, tasting the local cuisine is part of discovering the country.

What is your favorite food in Malta?

What is the local speciality?

Share with us the local tastes of Malta and why not your best recipe.

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

Hello All,

I just wanted to share one of my fav resturants in Malta
tucked away in Birgu but well worth a visit for a snack or a quality dinner
The place is called Bebirgu
Be it local dishes or international
The chef's attention to detail was second to non
Open kitchen & friendly staff
Food & drink were top draw

I will post the link I found on trip advisor

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant … Malta.html

Oz Sofra pizza lol.

avoid cheese pastizzi .... cooked curdled ricotta yeuck lol
on the other hand i fully reccomend the timpana -its beef pasta with a pastry top  there is a lovely pastizzi shop near the bus station is gozo and you get a huge portion for about 2e and it is really tasty

burger pasties are nice but vary depending on the shop some do it with onions others do it with cheese etc

Hello Sunshine,

Are we talking about Oz Sofra pizza in Bugibba?
I see it has a good rating of 4 star on TripAdvisor
please elaborate on your visit to this establishment.

I like cheese pastizzi every now and then :) Terribly unhealthy, but if you like ricotta and pastry, it's a nice snack for 30 or 40 cents... Rabbit is famous, too, though I must say I tried it in Mgarr (Malta; not Gozo) in a renowned restaurant, but I wasn't really impressed. It was good, yes, but not really special. My 3-year-old son insisted it tasted exactly the same as chicken. I must add that I'm not too keen on meat in general. By the way, on our last stay in Malta we bought a cookery book in Valletta - Taste of Malta by Anton B. Dougall. Some nice recipes in it. Here's the link: maltaonlinebookshop.com/product/taste-of-malta/

Wudis and peacakes lovely but terrbily unhealthy

Well as you asked..........................

It's generally awful. They seem to have taken the worst of English and combined it with the worst of Italian and arrived at the most artery clogging diet I've ever experienced. If you're thinking you're going to find a typical Mediterranean diet here, forget it.

They are some very good restaurants of course as there are everywhere, but they're not common and usually on the expensive side.

Do not move to Malta for the food !

When we go out I often eat the fresh fish, love September when Lamuki is in season. As for med diet  we ask the staff for salad /fresh veg and potatoes instead of chips and they are happy to do this also they are not expensive places either

i have never tried malta cuisineeeee

lizflower wrote:

i have never tried malta cuisineeeee

that's a shame , i recommend a nice bit of rabbit ravioli - its beautiful

or  some of the maltese stews are lovely - i like the bragjoli which is a stew made with mincemeat stuffed beef slices
mazzit is nice too though can be quite spicy

you really need to try the cuisine :)

I have review all restaurants in Malta.
Link here - tripadvisor.ie/Restaurants-g190311-Malta.html
Out of them all have found 67 restaurants that I will eat in.
As self trained chef it will be interesting to try them for cleanliness staffing timings presentation hospitality and pricing.
Was in restaurant back in March.
We ordered chicken and salmon both were taken out of freezer and cooked and they were raw inside.
The two plates consisted of one piece chicken three leafs lettuce no tomato or salad or onion no dressing.
The salmon dish was one piece five leafs lettuce no sauce.
I said it to the owner the dishes were raw and I said do Malta grow tomatoes or onions.
He looked at me and just bluntly said that's the way we do it here.
Well he got he's answer that trip advisor will be hearing it.
We didn't pay and walked out.

My favourite restaurant is 1927 and the marrow soup along with octopus salad or capriccio of beef.