Has anyone been to Madahine Saleh?

Hello, I would like to visit this wonderful Nabatean site. From Riyadh, what is the best way to get there, by plane, car or bus?
Is the permit still required? if yes, where do we get it? Can anyone help me? Great Thanks! :)

Dacoit wrote:

Hello, I would like to visit this wonderful Nabatean site. From Riyadh, what is the best way to get there, by plane, car or bus?
Is the permit still required? if yes, where do we get it? Can anyone help me? Great Thanks! :)

Hello Dacoit,

I haven't been to Madain Saleh yet, however I wanted to give you some info I found in Lonely Planet about the permissions... I also don't know if the permissions are still required however I'm gonna check it soon. I'm planning to go to another site in Najran (Asir region) in mid November.
Lonely Planet says that "you can obtain the permits from the Director General of the Department of Antiquities. The office lies right in front of the water tower besides Riyadh's National Museum (tlph: 01-404-0617; fax: 01-404-1391, open: 7.30 - 14.30 SAT-WED)". You need to file the application together with copy of your passport, a list of sites you wanna visit and when, 14 days in advance. 
It seems that it's pretty far from the capital and the closest airport lies around 400 kms from Al Ula... When are planning to go there?

Its a very good place. its near madinah some 300 kms.

from jeddah its approx. 550 - 600 kms.

yes absolutely its near alu la and u need to take permission from the alula police office.

May I know what is special about this place?