Ups or International Shipping?

We're moving end of next month to Pedasi. We're not shipping furniture or heavy items except one flatscreen TV and our computer/printer. We'll have about 15 medium size boxes of personal items, household items and a few tools. After looking into shipping rates, we're in a bit of a shock at the price - $3000 for the little we're sending.
Has anyone looked into UPS for shipping their belongings? We'd love any advice or to hear how others got their belongs over from the States without spending so much.
Thanks as always for the input!

Put the items on a pallet, shrink wrap and strap the items, then ship the pallet via common freight carrier to Delvi in Miami. Contact Delvi for their information and what you need to get them, they are the shipping arm for the Riba Smith Grocery chain and have a facility in Miami where they ship everything to Panama. They only charge by the cubic feet, not the weight and they handle the customs brokerage. Then you pick up your goods at their warehouse in Panama City.
If you need someone to assist you with getting the boxes to Pedasi, let me know and I will get you info for that. This is what we did and it was significantly less than other bids.
BTW - We live in Pedasi, check out my wife's blog at mcmoller.wordpress.com and my business at mapsofcentralamerica.com
Buena Suerta!