Information request

I am offered  the job of assistant professor with a college in muscat with an emolument 1400 OMR, along with family visa, medical insurance facility and return air tickets for the family. The package is inclusive of transportation, housing, and utility.

I am to join the institution by 25-08-2015. I am not planning to bring my family immediately.

Is the package offered is a decent one?! In this connection I request you to kindly let me know the living and other related expenses in muscat so that I can plan accordingly.

Regards

Manivannan

manivannan1978 wrote:

I am offered  the job of assistant professor with a college in muscat with an emolument 1400 OMR, along with family visa, medical insurance facility and return air tickets for the family. The package is inclusive of transportation, housing, and utility.

Is the package offered is a decent one?! In this connection I request you to kindly let me know the living and other related expenses in muscat so that I can plan accordingly.

Hi Manivannan
It depends on the area of teaching (medical, technical, basic sciences, etc.) and experience... You are Assistant Professor in which college/academia?

manivannan1978 wrote:

I am to join the institution by 25-08-2015. I am not planning to bring my family immediately.

Regards

Manivannan

Hi manivannan1978,

I have replied to your PM.

Please check.

Sumitran wrote:

Hi manivannan1978,
Please check.

Sumitran sir,
You could have replied in the open forum to benefit other expats too. I am a medical teacher selected for assistant professor job. Is the salary offer of 1800 OMR appropriate for Muscat location? Pls reply.

Spicygossip wrote:
Sumitran wrote:

Hi manivannan1978,
Please check.

Sumitran sir,
You could have replied in the open forum to benefit other expats too. I am a medical teacher selected for assistant professor job. Is the salary offer of 1800 OMR appropriate for Sohar location? Pls reply.

Hi
To my knowledge, it depends on years of experience as medical teacher. Which college offered you that salary?

Spicygossip wrote:
Sumitran wrote:

Hi manivannan1978,
Please check.

Sumitran sir,
You could have replied in the open forum to benefit other expats too. I am a medical teacher selected for assistant professor job. Is the salary offer of 1800 OMR appropriate for Muscat location? Pls reply.

Hi Spicygossip,

Since it was a private message, I replied in private ... nevertheless, here is what I responded :

Quote :

Hi manivannan1978,

The package offered is not that great really. But I guess that this must be the going rate for your level. See if you can negotiate for R.O. 2,000/- per month. The package inclusions are all pretty standard.

The place / location of your college would be important.  However, please be aware that the standards and quality of education in Oman is below par, compared to India. Career wise, you might have to take a step or two back. But financially, you can save something substantial. Annamalai University is an institution of sorts ! Wherever that it is you are going to join here in Muscat would pale in comparison. So come mentally prepared.

For details of the cost of living in Muscat you have to read the forum. All the details are discussed in great length there.

Good luck !

Unquote.

Hi Sumitran sir,
Thank you so much.
Rajini

Kannadiga wrote:
Spicygossip wrote:
Sumitran wrote:

Hi manivannan1978,
Please check.

Sumitran sir,
You could have replied in the open forum to benefit other expats too. I am a medical teacher selected for assistant professor job. Is the salary offer of 1800 OMR appropriate for Sohar location? Pls reply.

Hi
To my knowledge, it depends on years of experience as medical teacher. Which college offered you that salary?

Hi
Are you still in India? I wanna have a chat with you before I accept the offer. Pls PM me your phone no.
Thanks.
Rajini