How's it living in Benghazi

I'm just wondering, we feel bored living in Tripoli as there are few nice places to go and the beatiful places are a little far from town, does Benghazi has lots of fine places to go?

Isn't their slogan "When you're tired of Benghazi, you're tired of life" ? :)

Definitely Not!!  Life in Benghazi it's quite “Muslim” in comparison to Tripoli, where there is a big percentage of foreigners and the local population has been adapting pretty good to the change (which I will not call cultural change for obvious reasons) thus they are more open-minded than in other areas of the country, where you can find small villages and towns, with people behaving themselves as if they where even now living in another Century, backwardly of course.

In this aspect, Benghazi remains undeveloped and they like it here the way it is. The population is very conservative and traditionalist and since the town isn't too big, people know each other so there is no way for any kind of “small-freedom” for women. They keep an eye on that

As an example, here you hardly find “coffee-shops” with/without gardens where women can seat undisturbed with other women and talk or just behave as if they were in a developed country or even city.   For that purpose there is the “Family-Department” in most of the Restaurants or coffee-shops, where you are advised to go in when a women is among a group of men (colleagues from work, family, etc.) or even with her husband only.

Most of the women here clothes in the traditional way (with veil and long -preferably not tight- clothes) and there is a big number of those”black ghost” walking around the streets, where you can not even see theirs eyes. Unfortunately the percentage of these “black-style” women has been increasing with the time.

Even girls who walked wearing the “normal-style” before, after being married are asked to wear this “black-style”. How they can survive living in a kind of shadow of themselves anytime they go out remains a mystery for me. Even when I think about the “willingness” and “acceptance” the women have towards this measurement.

But, returning to the topic of this script, a place like “Al Saraya” where you can find girls (expats or not) wearing tight clothes, no veil, showing “skin” and even smoking… no way in Benghazi !!! 

I guess the tribe (the family) will kill you first than allowing you to step out of the house with such clothes and then behaving like this in a public place.

Also, you are in a place similar to paradise there in Tripoli, you can believe me…

guys, guys, let me take a deep breath, now I appreciate Tripoli more. Guys you've been a big help especiall Amelie, mucho grasias amega.

Appreciate Tripoli A LOT - there's nothing here, but an old zoo and four restaurants. :/ Plus driving is not nearly so mental.  Still, if you like the quiet life...  Ups and downs, as they say

I from Albaidha east ware benghazi about 200 km , benghazi beautiful city , and albaidha is the most beautiful city in libya. you are welcom .

sure Albadia is a nice place if you like to isolate yourself and I'd like to visit it someday but I mean in the urban enviroment, when you finish work, i don't know how to say it actually but, it's not crowded with cafes, restaurants, but the sea is nice and the least but not last I noticed 2 important things, firstly people straing sometimes and seconedly it's the man's world in Tripoli, no signs for women what so ever, strange....keep in touch guys i'm traveling to Tripoli forum now, see you there and thanx for your posts.

you ar welcome

yeah , benghazi beautifull city . you can search in google picture to see how Benghasy is beautifull too much .
google.com/images?hl=en& … p;gs_rfai=

benghazi is nice when has nice  people like you :)

Bonjour Saiid,

je souhaite aller en lybie ,traverser le nord pour regagner la tunisie , et profiter pour faire quelques visites sur les site Historique  je voyage seul en 4x4 aménagé et je cherche un contact comme point de chute pour faciliter mon voyage et mes démarches administratives pour l'obtention d'un visa .Pouvez vous m'aider et seriez-vous d'accord pour m'accueillir à mon arrivée . j'arriverai d'Egypte.

Welcome to Expat-blog, marcdubuisson :)

If you do prefer to write in French, you should join the French forum - Forum Benghazi.

Currently, you are posting in French on the Anglophone forum, members would not be able to understand and respond back to you.

Thanking you for your comprehension.

Regards,
Sheetul

Benghazi is nice and very quite city and it is very close the green mount in which the most beautifull nature and places in Libya, also the people here are very friendly! like to help and got the sense of hosbitality.

Benghazi is not at all a bad place for women, and not many libyan women is forced to were the "black ghost dress" after marriage. My husband family is very high educated, and the women are very free, and every week there is a party for them somewhere. My mother in law almost every evening goes out with her friends, oh yes alone! They go to coffe shops or to just walk around.

@ Amelie

I am a Libyan women, originally from Benghazi and currently living in Dubai, I just wanted to thank you for this wide description of my home town and my country, I would like to inform you that I lived for a long time in Benghazi, I always went out with my friends to coffee shops in mixed groups and with out a Hijab (which you called veil - not the correct term but I understand coming form a person that obviously didn't get educated about the Culture and Religion of the country, he/she was about to move to and live from it's wealth) it is true what you said about the family department, which only serves as a privacy and protection area for female citizens (of course not your category) from all kind of harassments, which is something that happens for foreigns and locals all over the world, (you know when you are sitting in a Bar and that very rude drunk guy hits on you aggressively, and you can't help it but feel uncomfortable) I am sure you are familiar with the scenario, only in Benghazi non of that would happen to you, because you are protected.

I lived in Tripoli, on the other hand for a very long time, life is different and yes Foreigners would find it much easier to live there, since every thing is available, even Alcohol if you wish to get drunk, and die with liver cancer, and yes Saraya is a very good coffee shop for people who would like to have a day/night out with friends, I heard recently it became the prostitutes business place, good luck with enjoying that!!

Finally Please understand that Libya, is a conservative "MUSLIM" Country, Yet having some very bad western influence when it comes to Alcohol and prostitution, but over all it is a safe place to be, and with development it has the potential to become the hot spot of all African and Mediterranean Regions, and you guys as Expats in Libya, you know what got you there, and why you are there, try to focus on that and respect other cultures, get Educated and mostly respect Libyans, and try not to be judgmental.

Finally I find your description to be Generalized and very shallow, with a pinch of lies. please share a correct image, to avoid deceiving an other person that might actually like it.

Rgds,

MB

Hey all!!!

I might be moving to Benghazi next month for a one year contract job, and I was wondering how life is there?

I've previously been to Libya working in the desert, so I'm not the type of person to worry about lacking "western luxuries", that's not a problem :).

I'm just curious how life is there? I've been to small towns like Nabel and Tigi before, when buying supplies for the crew, is it similar?.

Also, what about expenses, transport, general living, and possibly other expats or english speaking locals in the area?  What about nice areas / places to go, and areas / places to avoid? :)

Any tips are appreciated :)

Justin - Malta. (justinspiteri@gmail.com)

Finally Please understand that Libya, is a conservative "MUSLIM" Country, Yet having some very bad western influence when it comes to Alcohol and prostitution,

Really?!! Tarts and booze? !! Does anyone have an address? Or Map co-ordinates?

Benghazi has nice kind people and your are always welcome here.

@ Munita

Can you please help me understand this?
If a conservative (muslim or not) country is a good thing, why -from what- do female citizens need protection?
We protect children, we protect old and sick for obvious reasons. In a nice and good culture women -adult, mature, smart etc- should not be needing any protection, no? Do you mean they should be protected from male citizens of a conservative culture? But I thought you said that was a good thing.
I don't mean to start a discussion on Islam.. I am fine with it. It is your logic I just could not follow; protecting women? From what?In a good conservative society why should women need protection?

really curious
fk

instead of what and why and how and all your smart  simply  get the f out of libya poison drips from your ink you making money in libya thats what you are here for   [Moderated]   but we fought for it to be free want to milk  more    money  comeover  but watch out for  libyans faith andsocial laws    plz respect     or stay away

Hello everyone. Any feedback post revolution? I just came here in Benghazi last month. Aside from my work, I don't go out much often because I don't speak Arabic very well yet and most of the people here does not speak English.

Was able to visit Shara Dubai and Gabjeline and Souk Arab. Aside from that, I only hang out at the hotel lobby to  use the net. Also, I purchased a Libyana sim but the net using my mobile phone is very slow and is eating up prepair balance very fast.

Any expats on this forum, do you have any suggestions and please consider safety. Thanks!

i am german and living here in benghazi since a while. i like it very much, the people are kind and if somebody has a problem they are helping eachother. it doesn't matter which nationality are you. thank you benghazi