Security for europeans in benghazi

Hi there - I'd appreciate any views on whether travel to benghazi is realistic for Europeans. I've been asked to go there at very short notice for work, and I'm trying to work out whether I should do it or not.

I just want to have a very quiet trip - arrive at the airport from Tripoli, get to my hotel and stay inside for a couple of days, only leaving for the interview I have to carry out. Then get back to the airport and leave. Is this a realistic plan, or am I being stupid?

Can't tell if the security worries are overblown, or if I will be at serious risk just by being there? The guy I am meeting is continually telling me that things will be absolutely fine there. However the travel advice is full of warnings about the risk of terrorism, kidnappings, etc.

Any insight would be very much appreciated.

It really depends on the person you're meeting and the nature of the interview (i.e. is it a business matter, political/media matter, etc).

Anyone telling you that you wouldn't be at some risk by being in Libya generally (and Benghazi specifically) is either lying or is stupid. That being said, it is not as high of a risk as some imagine, if your visit is not a sensitive one or doesn't involve people with sensitive political ties I think you'll be alright, won't hurt to keep as low a profile as possible just in case.