Tips for getting your first job in Spain

Hi,

What are your tips and advice for getting a first job in Spain?

What are the job hunting steps to follow? Where to look for offers: newspapers, Internet, recruitment agencies, word-of-mouth?

What are the top hiring sectors?

What would you recommend to young professionals wishing to start their career in Spain?

Thank you in advance for your participation!

my advice would be get in the queue behind the thousands of spaniards who are unemployed at this moment,????

My advice would be to get known by somebody who has a job to offer. Most jobs come through family and friend networks rather than cv and interview.

I agree with both previous replies: few jobs and networking. For the few jobs that are available at-large, I'll guess they get many applicants. Who reads all those CVs? Probably a computer program, making a short list from those CVs that contained all the KEYWORDS in the posting.

Hello

Well, the Internet is your tool. Become members on groups on Facebook where people put up job ads or forums for the cities/places you are looking for work. Don't be shy by putting yourself out there. You know best what you're worth and no one can be the judge of that, so sell yourself!

Search the market web pages, Google your desired sector and find companies that you're interested in working for. Send them an e-mail with a cover letter and your cv saying you don't know if they're hiring at the momen, but that you're looking for a job and that you have that something special to offer their company.

Good luck!

search on Facebook, "Trabajo" many leads.  :top:

Hi guys!  I just joined but this is one of the first posts I saw.  It's sort of ironic because my company is actually looking for video game testers on a temporary/contract basis. It might not be perfect for everyone because you'll have to be able to legally work in the EU, for example having either a NIE or an EU passport and Spanish Social Security Number,

However, they're always hiring people to be game testers.  Since most of the people work on a temporary basis, they're trying to build a network of people who they can call on a project basis, which helps them keep costs down, and also gives the people testing the games some flexibility to take other jobs, or work for a while, save up some money, and then go on vacation, without worrying about time off.

Here's a link to the job posting they have up now, hope this helps!

loquo.com/anuncio/ofertas-de-trabajo/barcelona/videogame-tester-with-languages/B24528331

First of all I fined my friends and I say for help and job

Hi there, I'm already in the process of doing all my paper work for the Spanish government work authorisation (I'm a non EU citizen- Australian). I found my job when I was in Spain visiting. I would recommend traveling to Spain first if you can afford the time and travel. You need to network and personally walk into companies you're interested in working at and talk to the managers. You can even go into those businesses and ask general questions about whether they are interested in hiring expats. Better not to ask them directly if they have any jobs until you have a strong indication they are very interested in you. Just ask general questions about working in Spain in that industry and then see if they are interested..
I don't know what area of work you are interested in, but I walked into an English school in the town I want to live in. We had a really good chat and they were highly interested in working with me. It all went from there. It took many months and perseverance with phone calls and emails from Australia to Spain, but it worked for me. If you are not an EU citizen, then the employer will need to apply for authorisation from the local government (work permission) which will allow you to apply for your work visa. The work authorisation is time consuming, especially if your employer is not experienced with the process. If you visit Spain for networking and job scouting, be sure to ask that question if it's relevant to you. Then the the local government employment agency takes around 1 months to assess an application submitted by the employer. Basically the local government will see if there are any Spanish citizens or non EU residents who are suitable candidate before they can give the work authorisation. Hence it's not an easy process and you need to have all the patience in the world. All the very best of luck!

Firstly, the unemployment rate in Spain is staggering with businesses closing every day so this is really not a good time to be job hunting. 

You will need to have a very particular set of skills or experience, speak good Spanish and be prepared to be very, very patient.  My son has lived in Spain for over 20 years.  He has a degree in graphics, is an accomplished musician, was formally employed as a musical director for a large nightclub and speaks perfect Castilian and Catalan.  He has failed to find a job in Spain and has moved back to the UK

I have been in Spain for almost 6 years and I have always worked. I understand that it may sound harsh, but you REALLY need to speak Spanish in order to get a job here. Let's not fool ourselves...
The unemployment rate is what it is in view of the large amount of unskilled people that the previous economical situation has created. I speak 4 languages and I love learning new languages. This is what has opened a lot of doors for me. A lot of companies here, I am talking about SME, are thinking of expanding and need someone with the right business development and language skills but they don't know it...
You have to think outside the box and print yourself as the key that they didn't know they needed.

Hi.
I am looking to come to Spain this year and hopefully to relocate. I appreciate that with no Spanish to any degree, that my best options lay in ex pat locations.
If any one is interested and would like to know more. I am a very young 56. divorced and with lots of experience employment wise to offer.
Bright and with a reasonably good education. Currently working in Sales B2B, but have no problems with B2C.
In possession of excellent interpersonal skills, and no qualms about building and maintaining a rapport, with any one and at all levels.
Very smartly presented, highly motivated and with a strong work ethic.
As an aside. I would like to mention, that I have managed bars, hosted karaoke, and up to a few years ago, was still singing and playing guitar in bands.
Previous experience of employment abroad, although that was in China. But now divorced, and looking for genuine people who may be able to assist in my move.
Many thanks.
Kindest regards.
Steve.

hi steve funny  but the wife and i came to spain  at your age too,  but we sort work in gibraltar english speaking and also spain was not in the common market we waere not allowed to work here but times have changed .and telling you straight theres no work for spanish people let alone brits,or any other nations,if your determined to come make for british population venues ,or tie up with a rich widower good luck

2 issues: 1) teaching and 2) illegality. 1) In the U.S, I talked to 2 young ladies who came to Spain to teach English. They were stuck in very tiny towns and were paid very little. They didn't regret it but they didn't come back. 2) Search using “arraigo” and “irregular” avoiding all but gob.es sites. It appears to be a way to cheat the system. It also appears to be a way that employers can take advantage of illegals. Basically, it encourages people to come to Spain illegally and if you work for (I heard) 3 years, then you're in; BUT, if you get caught, then you and your employer are fined and jailed. I can't believe that this stupid quirk exists. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. Free free to correct me. 

http://extranjeros.empleo.gob.es/es/Inf … excep.html

Hello steve connelly, you do seem interesting, hope all goes well for you.
im looking for properties in spain, Tenerife, .. work is very important as strong work ethic, but prob not looking for career, just want enjoy the warmth.

regards mimi

Can I study and work in Spain? I have heard alot about Spain and believe I will integrate easily there. As a black how would i be treated?

Hi Joey,

It's a coincidence that YOU posted this - ha. My name is Steve and I work as an Art Director at Vast (gaming) Studios in Toronto. My wife and I are moving our family to Valencia in the next year. We have applies for and received out NIEs, and are currently working on getting Visas and residency permits. I don't think I can help with your immediate needs re. the 'game testers' role you posted but I'd love to stay in touch re. future opportunities or collaborations.

Take care, Steve

Joey89 wrote:

Hi guys!  I just joined but this is one of the first posts I saw.  It's sort of ironic because my company is actually looking for video game testers on a temporary/contract basis. It might not be perfect for everyone because you'll have to be able to legally work in the EU, for example having either a NIE or an EU passport and Spanish Social Security Number,

loquo.com/anuncio/ofertas-de-trabajo/barcelona/videogame-tester-with-languages/B24528331