UK Student in Romania - best way to drive here?

Hi all,

I am a UK Student studying in Romania and I am confused.

I want to drive here but I'm not sure what the best way is to go about it.. As I see it these are my options:

1) Buy a car here in Romania - very expensive and don't really want to do this..
2) Buy a car somewhere else in EU and get it taxed here etc.. - Again complicated and don't really want to do this.
3) I can buy a UK registered and plated car here - however I'm not sure about the implications of tax, mot and insurance..
4) Buy a car in UK as normal, insured, moted and taxed in UK and drive it down here, then at the end of the semester take it back home and repeat - this is what I would be most comfortable with but I'm unsure on the rules in Romania about driving a foreign car here etc..

If anyone could help I would be grateful!

Thanks

3 option is ok if u pay for nsurance in uk and go out of Romania every 6 month.Good  luck!

Thanks for the reply - how long would I have to go out of Romania for after 6 months?

cri-xtina wrote:

3 option is ok if u pay for nsurance in uk and go out of Romania every 6 month.Good  luck!

Does it mean that if I have a EU registered car (not in Romania) I can use it for driving in Romania without registering it in Romania for 6 months before I have to leave the country?
I assume that I may do a 1-day or weekend trip either to Hungary or Bulgaria to start a new 6-month period.

Thank you for clarification.

This is what I got from a Romanian lawyer:

The local (Romanian) regulation is to register your car within 90 days, but normally the European Regulation prevails.
According with the European Regulation you must register your car within 6 months, if you move to another EU country and take your car with you.
The exception is for the cross-border worker - if you work on one side of a national border but live on the other and return home at least once a week.
In fact the local regulation apply to the person who have domicile in Romania not residence.

Hi
We've been here 2 1/2 years & drive a UK car. As long as you have your log book, insurance certificate & mot in your name there's no problem. We've been stopped numerous times for spot checks.

Make sure the car is a bog standard type you can insure through an ordinary UK insurer. NFU do an indefinite green card for European travel but some insurers only allow a set number of days abroad per year. Only 3rd party insurance is mandatory.

Make sure you buy the rovinette for both Hungary & Romania to allow you to use major roads, they don't cost much & are easy to obtain online both at the same website.You will get stopped & fined without one & they may send your driving licence back to DVLA. You don't need UK road tax here so just get a short tax & renew online before you go home. Good luck! Sue