Teaching at TianjinTeda Mapple leaf school

Hi I have just sign a contract to teach at Tianjin TEDA High School campus. I am from South Africa. Is there anyone that can give me some feedback on the circumstances at the school, bad or good? And some helpful info on what to expect?

I dont know that particular school but Ive been teaching in China for many years...I have learned that its best to be like William Shakespeare   he said I have no expectations... so I can never be disappointed...... seriously  advise fro anyone that inst currently working there ..I would  totally dismiss..
James

Thank you. Is it nice teaching in China? How is the living circumstances?

the North of China inst my favorite place..I did teach in BJ.. and further north.. but the winters are just to cold for me... so it wasn't much fun there...I much prefer Southern China... bit this is just personal choice...living  ha ha ..the same as any country in the world... you can make it to be the way you want it to be...or you can choose to locate yourself in an area where there are many foreigners....   I prefer not to do this...I didn't come to China to spend my time living amongst Expats.... so the choice is yours...the Chinese ..in the main are friendly people and if you are a genuine person..you will get on well with them...and as a woman you will feel very safe walking the streets... day or night...the children  well they are all spoilt by their parents..but this is because of the 1 child policy... but Im sure that if you want the experience to be good...then this is what it will be....I initially cane for 1 year  ha ha that was many years ago...and Im still here...I hope that answers your question..
james.

Thanks James. Tianjin is far north and near the coastal area. I know Chinese people are friendly. I have some Chinese friends. Thank you for replying. Seem like you enjoy it.

ha ha yes I know where Tianjin is   I have visited it several times...in Summer...and I have friends that live there... I choose to remain living in China... why ?? because I enjoy living here...

you may learn more reading this....
The Tianjin Eye

Tianjin has been called China's largest village.  With a population of 12 million (according to the 2010 census) the people of Tianjin have managed to keep the friendliness of a small village while offering the excitement of big city life. Transition is normal and predictable.  People of all cultures have similar experiences and our behaviors and responses are similar as well.  How we define, make sense of, and integrate our experiences, determines the success of our transition. It may be difficult to imagine it now, but we can actually thrive through transition and emerge as stronger and more resilient people! In addition to the New Parent Luncheon where new families network with each other, TIS has a wonderfully active and enthusiastic Parents Association Committee (PAC) we encourage you to connect with.  You will find that TIS is an integral part of a larger Tianjin community.  Our staff and families are involved with many community groups and we will be happy to connect you with people or groups of similar interest.    For example, the Tianjin International Community Center (TICC) is a fantastic way to network with other expat women. TICC arranges monthly coffee mornings, luncheons, social and fund raising events, which support various charities.   We welcome you to Tianjin and trust you will come to appreciate this city.
Quick Links
Getting Around
Medical Care
Shopping
Housing
Restaurants
Recreation
Places of Worship

Getting Around

Depending on where you are coming from, getting around Tianjin can be a fun adventure or a logistical challenge!  Here is some basic information to get you started.
City Card

Public transport is made easy by using the City Card (cheng2 shi4 ka3  城市卡).  Instead of having cash in your pocket, you can purchase a City Card. Not only does this card make for a convenient way to travel you will also receive a 10% discount on subway fares and 5% discount on bus fares.  The cards can be purchased at a Metro station or major bus stops.  You may add money at those same locations.
Taxi

Taking a taxi in Tianjin is very easy and convenient.  With about 35,000 taxis and over 28 different taxi companies, the present number of taxis in Tianjin is enough to meet the increasing demand.   There are a number ‘black taxis' in the city, that is taxis that are not legally licensed to carry passengers for payment.   It is advisable to not use illegal taxis.  All legally registered taxis have the letter E after the Chinese character on their number plate.  If it doubt, check it out.
Taxi Fares

RMB 9 just for getting in and for 3km
    RMB 1.7 for each additional km
    No tipping
     Over 10 kilometers, 50% of the total fare added as surcharge for return trip
    1km charged for each 5 minutes stopped in traffic

Bus

Buses are still the most commonly used form of public transport in Tianjin, with hundreds of buses going to locations throughout the city everyday.  Furthermore there is a rare need to change buses, as lines seem to go in every direction from where you are.  Prices are cheap, varying from 2 RMB to 4 RMB for most routes, with an added 1 RMB for special air-conditioned buses, which are identifiable by the Chinese character 空 next to the bus number.  However many expats put off using the bus as it tends to be not so foreigner-friendly.  Most bus stops only have information in Chinese, but if you ask around you will be able to master this cheap and convenient mode of transport and impress your local friends!

Public transport forces you to pay more attention to your surroundings, thereby enabling you to get to know the city better.  Public transport is not as of a much hassle as many expats may think.  There are buses and trains at multiple times during an hour, taking you to a vast range of places.   Most major shopping malls and grocery stores provided regular buses to most residential areas.

For those who can read Chinese, you can search for bus routes on this Chinese website:  http://map.baidu.com/

For those who can't read Chinese, google maps can be a useful tool.  Plug in the pinyin (Romanized) name for your destination and it will supply you with bus routes.  Unfortunately sometimes it isn't so up-to-date so best to try the route before relying on it for getting you to an important meeting on time.
Subway Trains

For venturing from the north-west to the south-east, the metro is by far the easiest method of public transport in Tianjin.

For an English route map, visit: www.johomaps.com/as/china/tianjin/tianjinmetro.html
Subway Fares

The Tianjin Subway uses magnetic smartcards.  The fare is distance-based and ranges between 2RMB to 5RMB.  One-way tickets are available from automatic ticket machines in the station. The tickets are only effective on the day of purchase.

Medical Care

It is recommend that you become familiar with your medical assistance provider and how to contact them, especially in the event of an emergency. Become familiar with hospitals and clinics and keep emergency numbers on hand. Teach children, spouses, and domestic workers such as ayis and drivers how to call your medical assistant provider and local ambulance service.
Tianjin has two western standard health facilities:

Tianjin International SOS Clinic
1F Sheraton Hotel Apartment Building, Zi Jin Shan Road, He Xi District
Tianjin, China 300074 China
Telephone: 2352 0143 (International SOS does have a clinic in TEDA as well)
http://internationalsos.com/en/about-ou … 313437.htm

AT SOS Clinic, consultations are done by experienced English speaking, Western or Chinese doctors. The nursing staff all speak English. This clinic is not a hospital and procedures, such as X-rays will be done at a local hospital with the aid or a nurse. This clinic works with memberships only. In an emergency/urgent need they will help you one time, but you will need to pay a membership fee if you want to come back.
More Health Facililty Options
Shopping

Whether you love or hate shopping, it is something we all have to do, no matter where we live.  Tianjin, like other developed cities in China offers top brand names for accessories, clothes and gadgets.  The city also offers antiques, traditional hand-woven carpets and clay figurines that are famous the world over.

Modern western style complexes like Isetan, Joy City and The Galaxy Mall are as up-to-date with fashion and choices as you will find in any big city in China as well as cities around the world.  These multi leveled mega malls can occupy many hours as they are filled with a large range of stores from international brand name clothing to home decorating as well as restaurants and ice-cream parlors.   Toys-R-Us recently opened here in Tianjin and children's clothing stores provide top brand names while local markets provide options for the more budget conscious.

A popular shopping place is Gu Wenhua Jie (Ancient Culture Street) or Jinmen Guli.  The entire street is filled with shops selling antiques, jade, traditional handicrafts, kites etc.  This traditional shopping street is a cultural experience even if you are just browsing as both sides of the street imitate Qing dynasty architecture.

Binjiang Dao is one of the busiest shopping streets of Tianjin while Heping Business Street is a blend of both western and eastern shopping experiences.  Here you will find leading western stores as well as few famous Chinese brand stores.

Shopping is big business in Tianjin and due to increased shoppers in the late afternoon and evening department stores and malls often open late and close late.  You can expect many shops to stay open until 22:00, Monday through Sunday, although some do close earlier so ensure you check before planning a late night shopping trip!

Supermarkets like Wal-Mart, E- Mart and D-Mart will provide you with much of your grocery basics.  But Tianjin is still growing in the area of foreign products so if you have special food items from your home country that you don't want to do without plan to bring some along with you.  For the more adventurous local ‘wet markets' provide fresh fruit, vegetables and meat at cheap prices.  Get there early in the morning for the best picks.   Ask around your neighbors for the closest market as you won't find it listed anywhere.

Huge markets are dotted around the city selling anything and everything you can imagine.  Fabric markets, curtain markets, computer markets, flower markets, pet markets, fish markets and furniture markets will again consume or time and money!  Pick up a copy of E-Smarts Tianjin Expat Guidebook to help you locate what you are looking for, and how to get there.

While you may not find everything in Tianjin that you have at ‘home', there is certainly plenty of options and something for everyone in the family.

is it this one? mapleleafschools.com/schools/tianjin/

if you have its chinese name. maybe i can find some more information.

Hi James hope all is well. In what area do you stay. I hear the electric plugs is different from ours in SA? Any other helpful tips - what to bring and what to leave :-)

Just bring the essentials with you...and if you want to bring anything electrical... bring a few universal adapters... that's what I did years ago... and now I have so much ha ha I really wouldn't like to have to pack it all up and move it....besides China is a throw away society... nothing is ever fixed... its always replaced...and the cost in minimal... so you will be ok...
Im in the south of China ..Guangdong Province.... the city is Shunde.... Im close to both the border of Hong Kong   and Macau...so anything I want to buy that's not available on the mainland...I just buy from Hong Kong or Macau....and there are a few things..ha ha I like my cheeses... and they aren't easy to buy on the mainland... or when you do find them...they are just so expensive....so for me being in this part of china is great...

Perhaps prior to teaching, you should learn to spell.  Its Maple, not Mapple.  Further, your post is filled with syntax errors and grammatical problems.

Moderated by Gavind.
Reason : Kindly avoid being rude to others.

what a wonderful message to a newcomer to China......and fortunately she will be some distance from you.... the woman was asking for genuine help in settling here .... not a lesson from some jumped up clown...
cut her some slack .. and for your information the school name is spelt MAPPLE
James

Moderated by Christine
Reason: rude post

I don't wish to argue this further, however, suffice to say I am tired of foreigners coming to China to teach English especially those who don't speak it well.  I have met many, whose ONLY skill is their ability to speak English and many of them speak it poorly.  How can they teach?..For the record, you can call me what ever you wish however, I will continue to fight for qualified, educated and competent teachers here in China.  Oh for the record, its "spelled" not spelt...Laurence

argue ??? i dont argue with stupidity... or ignorance....however I will debate...and English is a language that can be debated all day... with thinking people....its probably the most bastardised language there is.... and it depends where you are from as to what is correct....so please cut the woman some slack....or is your name "Peter Perfect"
she was looking for some advise....not a bloody lecture on correctness...

Maybe before you criticise someone that you do not know - it is best to refrain from doing so. We are not all a 'Shakespeare', however I do believe that in some point in your life - you also started as an educator somewhere - and I do believe that you also made mistakes, and if not - you can be seen as perfect. And for that alone - well done. We all strive for better education - globally! There is a difference in formal teaching, and informal discussions on a blog. I can also hear that you had some bad experiences with foreigners that came to China - that is something you have to deal with. Furthermore, there is also a difference in academic English. Hence I agree with you - people must go NOWHERE if their intention is only to "get" something out of teaching. Teaching is a calling. A service to provide - transferring knowledge is a privilege. And as long as one is willing to learn and grow as a human being, in any area of your life, only then is it achievable. So I do agree with you. Maar onthou, nie almal is perfek nie, en die lewe bly 'n leerskool.

And please you do not have to reply on this message, or correct my spelling or grammar, or fight with someone about it. Hence if you want to - please feel free. If it makes you feel better about yourself - please go ahead. One thing I am sure of, when working with lives of children, primary school or high school - it is a gift. It is a person's future in your hands. If you mess it up once - you will mess it up permanent. And you have the right to feel the way you do - I take no offense. But do not under estimate the one you do not know. And lucky for all of us, there are perfect people like yourself to assist and help where you can. Life is all about learning. For everyone. And everyone has the right to their own opinion.

Be blessed, and thank you for your contribution to a better education! One day you will definitely be rewarded! I hope you will get the medal you deserve. You sound a bit frustrated, maybe you have to do some exercise - go see a movie - being so stressed is definitely not good for your health.

Point NOTED- Offense taken - NOT AT ALL. Maybe it is time for you to make a change. You do not sound very happy to me.

May you all have a GREAT day! People will still remain very interesting :-) However Ii do now understand why people prefer sending private messages instead of "putting oneself out there" - but it's good. And really I am not offended. Take care.

ha ha    I like you... you will do well... there are some Peter Perfects in this world..but they are few and far between...
I wont hide behind private messages Im happy to say my piece here in open forum anytime...
James.... and sign my name.......

Hello,

This forums policy is to provide aid to needy ones, i would suggest that we avoid letting this thread go out of hand since a lot of helpful information has been posted here.  :idontagree:

@wilms

When are you planning to make a move to China by the way?

Hoping you got the adequate tips/information you needed?

Thank you,
Gavind.
Expat.com Team.

dear Gavind....to support Needy ?????Expat.com... as with any other Blog site is for all to be able to have their say...and provided its within reason then the moderators just smile and allow it to pass....
yes I believe that our new South African arrival has been helped... but I also believe that she has been belittled by some jumped up fool that has decided to try to big note himself....

for the record... I have been teaching in China since 1983 on and off.... but moved here permanently in 2009
I have a PhD in English Literature... a Masters in Education and teaching... and a Ba in Clinical Physiology
... but more importantly ..I have 35 + years practical experience...much better than all the pieces of paper that seem so very important...for Status  ...
and for further information to anyone that is seriously teaching english to students that may at sometime want to go overseas and study.... Grammar is totally irreverent the university entrance exams   be they CE   IELTS..or any of the others the university really needs to know that the students understand  and can communicate and retain.... they dont get marked down for bad grammar...( Ive been an examiner for Cambridge University for 10 years... so I think I know what Im talking about)
anyway .... dear new teacher from South Africa welcome.... this wild colonial boy will offer you help at any time ..if he can....dear mr Moderator.... go sit in a corner and contemplate your navel
James

Hello genuineaussie,

Indeed, people do come on this forum to seek proper information, and thank you for your elaborate posts whilst aiding the initiator.

Let's keep the trend and hopefully find pleasure doing so.

Regards,
Gavind.

Hey, I work at Maple Leaf in Zhenjiang where I teach ESL middle school. I've been to the Tianjian campus and it's pretty nice. You should enjoy it. Teaching in China is a unique experience I think it's best if you don't start out with any expectations. Come with an open mind. Sometimes your an actual teacher and you can actually get a sense that you are touching lives. Other times you feel like a baby sitter or fifth wheel. A lot will depend on the Chinese staff you work with, and their attitude. I think it's best of focusing on having fun and try to keep your students engaged.

You are welcome to China,  I've Teach in Tianjin before, that was last year and I was teaching in a training school, I don't know how it is in High School. But one thing I know is try and engage the students in whatever you are doin. Chinese people sometimes look down upon Africans but somsomehow a little bit okay with South Africans. In Tianjin there are a lot of Foreigners and I'm also very close to Tianjin so whenever you are in need of any Help don't hesitate to contact me I can introduce you someone to come to your aid. Never listen 👂 to those who will look down upon you. Try and smile ☺ always for that's the only language everyone understand. Have a Successful start.

First you are not in a position to criticize, since you have not proven your credentials as a grammarian, an expert in linguistics or in the language itself. Do you have Master's in English, in applied linguistics; are you a reporter or an editor?

Spelled vs spelt
Spelled is not a recent Americanism, as many people assume (including some who have commented on this post). Both spelled and spelt are old, and examples of each are easily found in historical Google Books searches covering the 17th and 18th centuries. It is true, however, that spelt was ascendant everywhere through most of the 19th century. This ended when Americans permanently settled on spelled around 1900.

Burned vs burnt
Spilled vs spilt
Learned vs learnt

Finally, why should you be sick and tired of people coming to China to teach English, followed by your diatribe?  Should we say the same of Chinese who immigrate and teach Chinese to people in their adopted country?  What would happen if a Chinese teacher from Sichuan taught her student to speak Mandarin (Putonghua) with a Sichuan accent?  Does that negate the fact that the learner could speak Chinese, have a good vocabulary and carry on a conversation with other Chinese?

Grow up, have a coffee, do some yoga and return to leading a happy life, which is much too short to be angry.

I'm David in Beijing

Shenzhen, in Guangdong province, is a great center for electronics of all kinds, since most of the smartphones in rhe world are manufactured there.  Anything and everything you will ever need for your life's enjoyment can now be found in China.

You are welcome to China,  I've Teach in Tianjin before,
Allow me to answer some of your questions...
No I don't have an MA in Linguistics or English...I consider myself a professional in English because I have spoken it since birth.  My undergrad degree is in History and I hold an MA in Educational Administration, a PhD a.b,d in Educational Psychology.  I have been a reporter and have several articles published in "Campus Magazine" based in Beijing. (you can verify this as you live there)  And you sir need to get a life, who has the time to spend googling all the stuff you are suggesting.  Hell, I coach Professional Basketball and teach English in the off season.  I am not an angry person, however, I am frustrated with uneducated and unskilled foreigners teaching what they consider the Queens language to unsuspecting Chinese.
Now, take a look at the sentence at the top of the page: is this correct? I don't think so and this person is teaching in the same school the topic is about. 
I made some comments that many on here consider rude...ok they are entitled to their opinions as I am entitled to mine.  This will be my last contribution to this particular forum.  Laurence J. MacDonald

thank god its your last outburst....

Hello,
I'm Haris from Pakistan, an English teacher who wants to move to China. Can you guide me how can I get a teaching job there?

Hi, my boyfriend and I are currently looking for a position to teach in China too, but we're reading a lot of good and bad things. It's difficult to know who to believe.

I haven't finished my degree yet, (I'll be able to continue with it while I work as it's based on an Open Distance Learning system) and I've heard I need one to get a legal working visa.

We've just been offered a job in Mapel Leaf school in Guangzhou, and wondering if anyone can give a recent review on the school and their system.

We're also from South Africa, en dis lekker om so sin in ons taal te kan lees, and wondering if you'd be able to give some advice.

As of now The Maple Leaf system has no schools in Guangzhou, this my very well be a copy cat or fake school, or one that flies,under the radar so to speak. Maple Leaf is a chain of international schools owned and operated by a Canadian company. They have campuses in Dalian, two near Shanghai, Tianjian, Wuhan, and Chongqing. There is talk of a new one in Xian next year.
Working as an ESL teacher in China is a unique and different experience. And there are both good and bad stories, most people's experience is somewhere in the middle.
I find that most people from an educational background or have taught for years find it difficult to make the adjustment. Although there is a need for skilled teachers, it can be difficult to motivate some of the students who's English is lacking. I find that if you can keep the students engaged and have fun with them your students will like you and you'll be seen as a successful teacher, no Masters in English needed. What the students really need is opertunities to use the English they already know. So if your desire is to make an impact and help your students progress you may be disappointed.
The culture and people are great, so if your desire is see some of China and you have an open mind you may love it, and when you see or experience something your not prepared for remember, "You ain't in Kansas anymore, Toto". You will do fine.
As I am starting to write again you can check out my blog: livingthedream356.wordpress.com

I know that school,i think you could consider it!

Hi buddy, as a foreigner especially an english native speaker, an english teacher will be a good choice. There are many such jobs in china, for example tianjin. If you want to know more about china and any other things, pls contact me.
my skype: zhang.anbao
wechat: ab-xiong

James: I am not sure if you received my reply to your last email to me....I have been banned .  Anyway in case your didn't, I would be happy to have a drink or dinner with you when you come to Chongqing.  ...we can set something up...Coach

im driving over there next month with my wife... I will email you the day before we get there ..ok...
James

James: I have a trip to Korea and Thailand for the National Basketball Association sometime during August, if you could give me a heads up on the dates it would be good.  Coach

James:  I did not hear from you...did you get this way? I don't know how to access the personal messages so I'm trying to reach you through this forum..Coach

Hello everyone,

In advance, Sorry for the off-topic here  :)

@axemenbasketball way to access the private messages, click on the member's profile, at the right of the page you will see a green tab, send a message, click the tab and write your message then send.

Hope it helps,
Bhavna

HI, how is your feeling about TEDA life? I were also working and living in TEDA, but I leave there since 8.12 massive explosion.

Hi
I am also from South Africa, also intending to join the Tianjin High school staff. If you are there already I will appreciate the advise and any tips you have to offer. I worked in a public school here in SA, I am hoping for better in China, especially concerning discipline.

I am very academically minded and I like getting on with the business at hand. I do not appreciate wasting my time with silly classroom spats. Like you said, teaching is a calling, a passion that stems from the heart.  I am not a very authoritative person, and I like to build relationships and not create barriers between myself, students and other members of staff. I truly believe in collaboration and team spirit.

I enjoyed reading the blog. I have read some very useful and practical tips. Thank you for that. Hope that there is nobody out there with a dictionary in hand and waiting to rip me to shreds!!!

He or she can try....it won't move a hair on my head anyway.

Bash

i am also interested in a teaching job in china preferably for german language teaching

Hi,
sorry, somehow this response was sent to my junk mail box. I was looking for a document I saw earlier on and noticed your note.

Who are you applying through for a job? Try Maple Leaf off-shore schools. Long, tedious procedure, but if you're up for that, google them and apply.

Hi. This is Claire from chinaexpat.cn. Are you looking for a teaching job now?I have lots of teaching position vacancies in China , waiting for you . whatever age group , whatever locations , what ever subjects .As long as you are looking for job, please feel free to contact with me!!my skype address is chinesejob002 and wechat is chinaexpat8821

Only pay 3000 Yuan RMB
To get certified legally To teach English globally
Teach, Travel,Live and Word worldwide with an International TESOL Certificate
You can check your TESOL certification in the American official website.
TESOL certificate is recognized international(english as second language) proffesional teaching certificate, Certificate provides the teacher international recognition. the certificate includes all kind of levels of teaching english as a proffesional teacher. TESOL certificat provides basic skills of teaching both national and international. Have a tesol certificate,Become a proffessional englishteacher,Provides the well known certificate around the world in teaching english as second language
please feel free to contact me, my skype address is chinesejob002 and wechat is chinaexpat8821