Voting

well that was interesting with partial roadblocks manned by police plus police on school gates checking voting cards plus police inside. I said to cop in England a police car goes round every so often to check all ok. she said wish it was like that here...her shift ends when it ends, could be 24 or more hours eek. still I choose to live in Malta so no criticism just pointing out the difference.

i bet there were more people watching the voting than police....

Toon wrote:

wasnt toobad to be honest went about 10 am seemed fairly straight forward in/out no hassle

Toon wrote:

I bet too, interesting reading about some shenanigans going on at some polling stations.

Amazing how quick they have counted enough referendum votes for the so called 'Hunters' to win but it will take another week to get the results of the council elections!

that vote is a black day for Malta - set them  back to the dark ages... still not safe to walk in the countryside....

votes win and apathy rules

Q how can this farce (like many others) still have been allowed to go ahead when the EU banned spring hunting

It will be interesting to see what take they put on this now

Toon wrote:

that vote is a black day for Malta - set them  back to the dark ages... still not safe to walk in the countryside....

votes win and apathy rules

Q how can this farce (like many others) still have been allowed to go ahead when the EU banned spring hunting

It will be interesting to see what take they put on this now

dont you just hate democracy ... people voting and having to respect their wishes .. terrible situation !

Toon wrote:

What do you mean "set them back....."?

democracy is one thing - but to authorise these people to go out and kill innocent migrating birds (for breeding) whilst at the same time purporting to be a pro life island - is another....

and all the while the EU banned it

sorry not acceptable.

indeed plus I am British not Maltese so not entitled to vote In the referendum so therefore I have no view on it. I voted in the council election and will hopefully see a Labour local council

i couldnt vote in it .. doesnt mean i dont have an opinion on the matter though i personally would have preffered a no vote win but the question was too vague and i think the majority of voters really couldnt care less either way and so thats why the yes vote won .

still perhaps maybe joseph muscats promise to be more strict on hunters and illegalities will be more than  just hot air  and things will get better

robpw2 wrote:

still perhaps maybe joseph muscats promise to be more strict on hunters and illegalities will be more than  just hot air  and things will get better

Yeah right, and I'm The Queen Of F***ing Sheba.

Toon wrote:

democracy is one thing - but to authorise these people to go out and kill innocent migrating birds (for breeding) whilst at the same time purporting to be a pro life island - is another....

sorry not acceptable.

Spring hunting is illegal in the rest of the European Union but Malta has been granted special permission to hunt in this period after a controversial 2009 decision by the European court of justice. The permission only allows for the hunting of quails and turtle doves, not any other protected species.

(the guardian april 10th 2015)

it is a bit interesting with the Tory promise of a referendum on UK EU membership. as far as I am aware there are no EU rules on who can and cant vote in referenda. Each member state can decide to use the "general election" register or the wider "EU/Local Election" register. Malta decided to use the more limited one as per what Farage is urging the tories to do. yes and you are right the vast "silent majority" don't care either way. I am in that majority

Hi all.

I agree !

It is a sad day for Malta in my opinion.

As a Committee member of the Rambler's Association of Malta I will be stepping down from my position. I don't want to have anything to do woih a gun-brandishing Maltese society. There will be no more walking in the countyside ! This was a democratic vote and the Maltese voted to kill birds in Spring.

I will be canvassing against Malta as a tourist and residential location in the future!

Cheers
Ricky

Why can't they just go to Pavi and buy a frozen chicken like everybody else?

It's the 3rd most popular story on the BBC News website at the moment.

The world is watching you Malta.

I find it interesting that non voters were allowed to sign the petition for the referendum but not allowed to vote on it!!

As a keen walker with my dog I suppose we will have to put up with the intimidation from hunters for a little longer.

Terry

sorry I think my last post was factually incorrect. bearing in mind UKIP support is dropping it is probably irrelevant anyway but I seem to recall a recent Farage speech/interview where he said voting should be limited to "British citizens living in Britain"

It shows how everything is stacked in favour of the 'Hunters' when a cavalcade of them just went by our house. The first one was a police landrover, with its siren going and one of the  'Hunters' was waving a shotgun out of his car window!

Seems it's Gozo who are to blame for the result the times of Malta are saying the no camp won in Malta but Gozo result made it a yes win by 2000 votes .... I would say that's not a clear cut win ....
Referendums should require a two thirds majority

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32274939

tearnet wrote:

I find it interesting that non voters were allowed to sign the petition for the referendum but not allowed to vote on it!!

As a keen walker with my dog I suppose we will have to put up with the intimidation from hunters for a little longer.

Terry

Wrong !

Non-Voters were not allowed to sign the petition ! We had a lot of work removing the names from the lists to make the lists legal! I was involved so I know what you are talking about. We checked every single name and ID and address with the electoral  list for national elections.

Cheers
Ricky

What a shame. Ridiculous amount of illegal hunting was the reason we left Malta (we spend daaays outdoors hiking/walking every week) back in 2013. I've met so many hunters/trappers in Gozo literally all through the year - October to March - every week of every month. They're always very polite too! lol

I think it's stupid that we can vote in local elections but cannot vote for national elections or policies , they are going to have an affect on us just as much.

redders_61 wrote:

indeed plus I am British not Maltese so not entitled to vote In the referendum so therefore I have no view on it. I voted in the council election and will hopefully see a Labour local council

you do have a view  you just not alllowed to have it count in the environement in which  you live

robpw2 wrote:
Toon wrote:

sorry not acceptable.

Spring hunting is illegal in the rest of the European Union but Malta has been granted special permission to hunt in this period after a controversial 2009 decision by the European court of justice. The permission only allows for the hunting of quails and turtle doves, not any other protected species.

and you really believe they will abide by the definition and permission... come on get real and smell the pastizzi -they shoot everything that flies -  the old sayng if it flies it dies is spot on... they really dont care and self regulation is a joke.... we all know it

My view is the same as it was in the UK about fox hunting. much more important things to worry about. Fox hunting ban took up far too much valuable parliamentary time that could have been used more productively I also don't agree with the smoking ban (I am a smoker though so have an axe to grind on that) nor do I agree with plain packaging or minimum pricing for alcohol nor compulsory seat belts or compulsory crash helmets or any other law designed to regulate personal behaviour that has no effect on others "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes".

What you seem to fail to understand is that not abiding by compulsory seat belts or compulsory crash helmets or any other law designed to regulate personal behaviour does have an impact upon others, in terms of cost and resources of the NHS. Also, passive smoking and the release of chemicals from fabrics where smokers have been also affects others, especially children. I am a smoker but never smoke indoors, in public enclosed spaces or in any form of transport. I know my habit is antisocial and dangerous to others. To think otherwise is selfish arrogance.
But hey, this forum is about Malta, not the UK.

I am a non smoker and am disgusted at the attitude of many smokers.

redders_61 wrote:

My view is the same as it was in the UK about fox hunting. much more important things to worry about. Fox hunting ban took up far too much valuable parliamentary time that could have been used more productively I also don't agree with the smoking ban (I am a smoker though so have an axe to grind on that) nor do I agree with plain packaging or minimum pricing for alcohol nor compulsory seat belts or compulsory crash helmets or any other law designed to regulate personal behaviour that has no effect on others "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes".

With an attitude to life like that, it's now completely apparent why you love Malta so much. The attraction must have been very strong. You'll fit in perfectly down here.

ricky wrote:
tearnet wrote:

Terry

Wrong !

Non-Voters were not allowed to sign the petition ! We had a lot of work removing the names from the lists to make the lists legal! I was involved so I know what you are talking about. We checked every single name and ID and address with the electoral  list for national elections.

Cheers
Ricky

Sorry Ricky but non voters were allowed to sign ( I accept that they may have been removed at a later date) but at the time we were allows to sign and in fact actively encouraged to do so!!

I can only assume that the people collecting the signatures were not advised of the regulation at the time.

Terry

Toon wrote:

I am a non smoker and am disgusted at the attitude of many smokers.

So am I. We have small ashtrays that we carry around so we do not discard our butts anywhere we should not. Dangerous to bird life also as birds often mistake butts for bread and butts do not degrade.
Better stop there before I get done for going off topic  ;)

You're pissing in the wind Mick, I've never seen anywhere in the world with more discarded butts on the streets than Malta.

Especially in supermarket car parks, large piles of them everywhere.  :mad:

On An Island wrote:

You're pissing in the wind Mick:

I know but every little helps

and outside popular bars

Toon wrote:
robpw2 wrote:
Toon wrote:

sorry not acceptable.

and you really believe they will abide by the definition and permission... come on get real and smell the pastizzi -they shoot everything that flies -  the old sayng if it flies it dies is spot on... they really dont care and self regulation is a joke.... we all know it

true but even if they banned hunting it wont stop those who do so illegally etc so your punishing the innocent to prevent the criminals when in fact it will still go on

its a shame they voted yes but at the same time its not going to stop criminal activity either way

unruly men with guns go together like matches and dynamite....

or a north korean finger and a little red button..

is this the very first time that Malta has said NO to CASH .... Coalition Against Spring Hunting...

if by" fit in" you mean enjoy Malta rather than be here and whinge about it then yes "when in rome" was how I was brought up. most on here seem to be a throwback to the days of Empire when we went to other countries and told them how to govern and live their lives. Malta got independence in 1964 whether they hunt or don't hunt is a matter for them

Closed