Federal job without being a vet.

Hello all,
I'm so glad I found this site! Very informative!  My question is has anyone been able to find a Federal job without being a vet or knowing someone?  I keep hearing how about nepotism in Puerto Rico and wanted to know if its true.  Right now I currently work for a government contractor in the states.  Do they have contractors on their bases?  Thanks in advance!

Hi Jolo84:
What field are you in?  On the USAJOBS site, healthcare positions seem to be posted frequently. 

My wife is active duty military and there are many contractors working at her base.

Best of luck in your search.  Hope this helps!

@jolo84: Nope.

Thanks guys...I work in the Accounting field, I also have HR experience.  This whole process is just frustrating.  I guess I will research some of the contractors.  I am very interested in going to InterAmericana University but I want to make sure I have job lined up first.

It doesn't matter if you "know someone", most federal jobs are selected in the mainland, by the appropriate hiring agency, then the selected applicants are forwarded to the local hiring supervisor.

That's the key: The selected applicants are forwarded to the local hiring manager. Who do you think they hire then?

Admittedly... I am a disabled combat veteran, but I was hired over the local "talent" much to the obvious dismay of the local housing manager, in the USVI.

What are the names of the contractors? I've been looking online and I can't find any. Do you all have any tips for applying for federal jobs?

Try following this link for starters:

usajobs.gov/Search?Keyword=&Location=Puerto+Rico&search=Search&AutoCompleteSelected=true

mac00677 wrote:

It doesn't matter if you "know someone", most federal jobs are selected in the mainland, by the appropriate hiring agency, then the selected applicants are forwarded to the local hiring supervisor.

And then the local hiring manager hires his cousin or sister's, kid's, ex wives, new wive's kid.