Looking for work, apartment in San Juan

Hi, all!

I am moving to San Juan in September with my wife, friend, 2 dogs, and 2 cats, and I am trying to find a job and an apartment.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!!

-eitaknnif

Hi eitaknnif! Try the Puerto Rico classifieds > job section and the accommodation section.. Good luck.

Try ClasificadosOnline.  Job listing and places for rent among many other classified ads.

Ooooh, we found and signed for an apartment! Yay!

Now for the job part... I've applied to 60+ places and not one response -- any advice?

Specific companies I should be looking into?

Are there any English-focused call centers or tutoring positions -- my English is native.

My Spanish... well, I'm working on my Spanish and I fear that is why no one is getting back to me; because I am not bilingual...

eitaknnif wrote:

Now for the job part... I've applied to 60+ places and not one response -- any advice?

Other than keep trying, no... The economy is bad and not being fluent in Spanish won't make it easier.

I'm an educator considering a move.  I have a great lead on where to live.  I'm visiting soon.  Does anyone have any info on teaching in a public school in PR?  I'm curious about salaries, etc.  I'm not finding a web site to explain the school system.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  iGracias!

Well Busbosschuck, I'm not an educator nor do I have first hand knowledge of the Dept. of Education since we decided not to enroll my son in the public school system here in PR. All I can provide you with is an anecdotal analysis. I suggest to you Busbosschuck that the fact you can't find a website providing you with the information you are looking for is your first indication of the effectiveness and professionalism of the dept.of education.
Never in a million years will you find a position within the dept that comes anywhere close to that of the salaries in the states.

eggyny wrote:

I suggest to you Busbosschuck that the fact you can't find a website providing you with the information you are looking for is your first indication of the effectiveness and professionalism of the dept.of education.

Or maybe it is an indication that he didn't do a proper search or that he doesn't speak the language. Non-constructive nasty assumptions don't help anyone.

de.gobierno.pr/tags/certificacion-de-maestros

de.gobierno.pr/tags/ayuda

It took me a minute to find those. He can ask questions on the second link.

eggyny wrote:

Never in a million years will you find a position within the dept that comes anywhere close to that of the salaries in the states.

This is true but not surprising. The median household income of Puerto Rico is about half of the median household income of the poorest state of the USA. Anyone who wants to come to work to the island has to assume that he will take a financial hit. Working as a teacher is not an exception.

adolfojp you state my comments are Non-constructive  andnasty assumptions that don't help anyone.
Hardly an assumption, the process of attempting to enroll my son in the public shool system and dealing with the bureaucratic mess in the Dept of Education was a fustrating and non-productive experience that we actually went thru, hardly an assumption. Also, the Google search engine is very effective and intuative, typing the words "department of education" and "Puerto Rico", "salaries" would be suffice.  Categorizing someones comments as "nasty" is non- productive, patronizing and disrepectful. I refer you to the terms and conditions of the website to wich everyone agrees to, explicilty states disrespectful comments towars other members will not be tolerated.

Please guys, peace!

Harmonie.:)

eggyny wrote:

I refer you to the terms and conditions of the website to wich everyone agrees to, explicilty states disrespectful comments towars other members will not be tolerated.

Are you being serious? Did you really get offended by my comment? Do you really consider people who have dissenting opinions to be disrespectful to you and do you really think that positions that are critical of yours should not be tolerated? I don't even know how to answer to that, but I am beginning to understand the reasoning behind the gorilla in your avatar. Take a deep breath, calm down, and read my comment again. You will see that it wasn't a personal attack and that you're overreacting.

This was my so called disrespectful comment:

adolfojp wrote:

Or maybe it is an indication that he didn't do a proper search or that he doesn't speak the language. Non-constructive nasty assumptions don't help anyone.

And I stand by my comment. You made a false assumption. I proved it false in a minute by finding online resources that you suggested were not available. It was non constructive. You spent more time ranting than actually trying to help. It was nasty. You didn't support your statement of the lack of effectiveness or professionalism of the DE so it was just a nasty remark. The fact that you later supported that claim with your own experiences doesn't change the fact that your comment, by itself, was just a nasty and unsubstantiated remark.

I do agree that the department of education in the island is waaaay below par. But if somebody asks questions about finding resources about it I am not going to use that as an opportunity to rant. I will try to find the resources instead. And if I do rant I will elaborate on why it sucks instead of just saying that it does.

And getting referred to the terms and conditions by the guy who has gotten his business Spam deleted by the mods on more than one occasion just made my morning. For that alone I wish to buy you a beer someday. In fact, I'm going to get my SO to invite me to eat at your place on my birthday. :-) I hope that we can get along that day.

Harmonie wrote:

Please guys, peace!

I would like nothing more. Your name fits you, by the way.

All hail to king adolfjp, who has decreed that I am nasty. You really like the word nasty, seeing as how you use it so much.
Funny so does my six year old. I wish you would come around and have a beer, I would love to see the man(?) behind the pedantic
essays. Funny thing though your judgemental attitude reminds me of another adolf.....hmmmm....who could it be.I wish you would come around and have a beer. Hope to see you soon, we'll have a beer. If you need directions just let me know. Just let me know beforhand I'll bake you a nice chocolate cake for you birthday. I hope I can find enough candles that are worthy of the GREAT KING adolf.

eggyny wrote:

All hail to king adolfjp, who has decreed that I am nasty. You really like the word nasty, seeing as how you use it so much.
Funny so does my six year old. I wish you would come around and have a beer, I would love to see the man(?) behind the pedantic
essays. Funny thing though your judgemental attitude reminds me of another adolf.....hmmmm....who could it be.I wish you would come around and have a beer. Hope to see you soon, we'll have a beer. If you need directions just let me know. Just let me know beforhand I'll bake you a nice chocolate cake for you birthday. I hope I can find enough candles that are worthy of the GREAT KING adolf.

Wow man. I really didn't expect this reaction. I even made a gorilla joke to tease you in a friendly way to promote friendly banter. And I meant the birthday thing. It is coming up next month and I've been meaning to visit your shop out of curiosity so I thought about making a trip to Cidra and combining the two. I am sorry if my words sounded offensive, because that was not my intent, but I think that you might be taking things a little bit out of proportion. This is just awful.

P.S. It's not Adolf, It's Adolfo, like the Spanish poet.

You are certainly welcome to the Green Gorilla Grill we operate strictly on a reservation basis so please call ahead. I think we would get along once we get to know each other. I'd love to have an intellectual friend to go tit for tat. Please just don't ask for a "Tripleta" sandwich.