Crime on Gozo.

Having recently previously written that crime on Gozo is virtually nil, unfortunately I have just been made aware that a man was knocked down last night, near Arkadia, Rabat (Victoria) in an attempt to steal his purse.
He was pushed down with the intent to rob.The guy did not get the purse, and thankfully he was not hurt.The police feel he was watched because he had just taken money from the bank machine inside Arkadia. This is something a certain group of people have been doing in Malta, and now it appears to have come to Gozo.
The assailant appears NOT to be Maltese or Gozitan but of Black African appearance.
To restore one's faith, a local person came to the rescue and the assailant ran off.
:(

Someone can be of Black African appearance and also be Maltese or Gozitan.

Agreed, which is why I wrote appears NOT to be Maltese or Gozitan but of Black African appearance.
Not my description either.

Although an unfortunate incident, it's the first  of it's kind in Gozo and we know nothing of the perpetrators state of mind or what motivated them to commit such a crime. So in my opinion, it's too early to view this as the start of a 'wave of crime' coming over from Malta. People should maintain the same vigilance as always when withdrawing money from ATMs but not be 'scare-mongered' into avoiding using that facility. Let's wait and see if this is going to be an ongoing issue before jumping to conclusions.

I don't think any of us living here are seeing this as a 'wave of crime'. Far from it.
Who is jumping to conclusions? I certainly am not.
Only reporting the victim's and Police comments.
(As you will see on Gozone.)

Please don't take my comments personally, they weren't a response to your comment in particular but more of an expression of my own thoughts surrounding this issue. I'd only just read about it on Facebook GOZONE community page and my first instinct was fear, as I do use the ATM's often. However, once I'd thought about it I realised that it is irrational to base that fear on one isolated event. Simply wanted to share that thought.

georgedina wrote:

Although an unfortunate incident, it's the first  of it's kind in Gozo and we know nothing of the perpetrators state of mind or what motivated them to commit such a crime. So in my opinion, it's too early to view this as the start of a 'wave of crime' coming over from Malta. People should maintain the same vigilance as always when withdrawing money from ATMs but not be 'scare-mongered' into avoiding using that facility. Let's wait and see if this is going to be an ongoing issue before jumping to conclusions.

Crime may be low on Gozo but it seems to be the "drugs capital" of the Maltese Islands .

http://www.independent.com.mt/articles/ … 6736125817

Terry

Thanks Terry for the link to a very relevant article. It would be interesting to know what the breakdown of drug related offenses in Gozo are in terms of Cannabis possession/recreational use and hard drug dealing/abuse....two completely different offenses IMO. Could it be that Gozo attracts the type of folk that use cannabis for the sole purpose of relaxation and enjoyment especially when on holiday, who are used to using it with impunity in their own country and are 'caught'  unaware in a country that has as yet zero tolerance for any recreational drugs?

"But a deeper analysis of these figures, which cover the years 2011 to 2013, reveals a curious exception: the rate of drugs crimes in Gozo is twice as high as that of its sister island, although visitors to the island may account for many of these cases."

if the reports of arrests in Gozo are any indication, "visitors to the island" doesnt mean foreigners, but Maltese youngsters coming to Gozo for a long weekend of partying

most common drugs mentioned in articles of arrests are cocaine and cannabis, frequently found on the same person

Remember this? 'Substantial' number of cannabis plants found in Gozo roundabouts'.

ToM 15th May 2014.

The police have launched an investigation after a number of young cannabis plants were found in roundabouts and soft areas in Gozo.
The plants were discovered by workers of ELC - Environment Landscapes Consortium - who care for the areas.
The plants are being removed and destroyed.
A spokesman for ELC said he feared this could have been an attempt to undermine the company's reputation.
A company official in Gozo said the number of plants was substantial and it took workers all of yesterday and much of today to remove them. Policemen were present.
The plants were found in Xewkija, Ghajnsielem, Marsalforn and Victoria.

According to the DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) and many other sources, ''Cannabis grows wild throughout many humid and tropical parts of the world''. It has even been spotted growing wild in the UK!   

http://www.deamuseum.org/ccp/cannabis/history.html

Indeed it does  ;)

What exactly is wrong with smoking cannabis?

It's not a personal interest for me as I don't take the stuff, in fact I don't smoke regular tobacco which is probably more dangerous and I don't drink much alcohol which is definitely far more dangerous.

I just wish to know what exactly people object to about smoking cannabis, if it wasn't illegal to smoke it.

Cannabis first became illegal in the UK, and most of the rest of the world, on 28th September 1928 when the 1925 Dangerous Drugs Act came into force. There were no British domestic reasons, no lobbying for or against prohibition, and no Parliamentary debates.

Read this: http://www.idmu.co.uk/historical.htm

Personally I have no objection and having worked with many who have used and use far worse, I can tell you that cannabis is not as dangerous as so many other drugs. Alcohol for instance is far more dangerous and causes more violence related crimes than any other drug. (Appx 1000 per day in the UK.)
Use of cannabis by the young though should be seriously discouraged as it can interfere with the 'wiring up' of the brain, particularly during adolescent years when there is so much happening in that area anyway.
Casual use by older persons does not have that impact.

Considering how many readers here and liberal local attitudes, and yet no comments at all: all talk of "drug crimes" "drug capital of Malta" is completely fictitious !! Gozo and Malta must be very safe places!! ;););)

It would appear that hoards of drug dealers bring their wares to Gozo and since there is clearly no buyers, no takers hence no market for their goods, they dump their stuff in roundabouts and public places on their way out of the island to avoid paying excess baggage fees to no-frills airlines I could mention.
The dumped cannabis then grows wildly unattended due to the rich soil and abundance of water, sunshine etc.

The said drug traffickers don't tell their mates back home as they're too embarrassed to admit failure so the next flight brings fresh supplies and the cycle continues....

Any increases on the drug supply side could be explained this way:
Far from keeping their mouth shut, or not telling their colleagues the truth, the drug dealers give them a load tosh and brag about how much money they made, how cheap is the beer here and how much good time they had spending the money on willing girls in certain locations I could mention,
In short treating them like mushrooms (keeping them in the dark and feeding them on crap)

That's my warped take but still await more informed readers' inputs.

@redmik excellent information and link: thanks