New here

Hi all , I'm new here on this forum so i just would like to introduce my self , my name is Carlos I am orinal from Portugal but I have been a resident in Britain ( London ) for 15 long years! I am a chef and a music producer and also have a lovely family and I would like now to move to Norway as I think there is for sure a better place to raise my lovely kids, as this streets here getting more and more dangerous,I dont know where to start or where is better to live so if anyone as any opinions please I will be more than happy to listening, I did a bit of research on my own and what I have seen so far as amazed me I love the greens looking at it makes me think of nice fresh air the mountains,the snow , the amazing sun sets, well I can't wait to move :)

Hello Carlos and welcome to Expat.com

Thank you for this great introduction!

Have a nice day

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Where is best to move?  Well you will want to move to a place not far from a major city (preferably Oslo), since you will be lacking in Norwegian skills for a while (and getting a job without speaking Norwegian is difficult).  If you actually move a bit outside the city house prices plummet (depending on how far you go ofc!) but then you simply need a car and would need to commute to work etc.  There are many decent sized towns with great connections to the city. 

I live about a 45 min drive from Oslo (takes me 25mins on the train, which I commute everyday).  I have the most amazing sunrises/sunsets! Never saw anything like it in the UK, I can drive 2 mins away and I'm in a place where nature is untouched apart from a single road, leads along the side of a lake surrounded by trees with mountains in the distance.  Needless to say you can get what you are looking for here, but don't think it'll be an easy move simply because of the language barrier. 

You will get by without speaking Norwegian no problem, almost everyone speaks English (including everyone who you will meet in a shop) but actually getting a job and making friends, that can be very difficult without Norwegian, trust me.

Best of luck if you do decide to come :)

Hi Gary , thanks for ur info that's nice to know what It will be my primary steps , yes I did though that the language would be a problem, I am looking for some jobs with in city as well but as u said I want to leave out of it, I need to see as well somewhere where is good access for or with schools for the kids, I have applied for a few jobs in Oslo actually but still no answer, this will take some time I think it needs to be the right move I can't afford to do mistake of going without be all good, thank u so much for taking ur time to reply to me, all the best, I will keep ur contact if is okay!