Looking for success stories

:D hello everyone ....I'm Demetri, from the UNITED STATES, I just love Norway. Living in Oslo and looking for a job like most of us on this website.

I have an MBA degree always worked in education.Taking Norwegian classes, and going to the gym everyday. (Except weekends)

Are there any success stories from this site....that anyone can share ?

Best wishes
D

dshivers77 wrote:

Best wishes
D

What kind of success story are you looking for? Clearly some people must be working since it's often the only way non EEA people can live here.

dshivers77 wrote:

:D hello everyone ....I'm Demetri, from the UNITED STATES, I just love Norway. Living in Oslo and looking for a job like most of us on this website.

I have an MBA degree always worked in education.Taking Norwegian classes, and going to the gym everyday. (Except weekends)

Best wishes
D

Welcome to the forum Demetri!

I'll be moving to Norway in the summer and am just trying to learn about as much as possible from other expats who are there. How long have been living there? Is there anything you really really miss about home? Has it been easy or difficult to meet new people?

As for success stories, I've heard/read about varying experiences. From people who can't seem to find work and end up leaving because the cost of living is just too much to people (who tend to have professional/specialized skills) who don't have too much trouble finding work. I'd imagine having a Master's degree and some experience will definitely work in your favor.

I recently got in touch with a black American woman who married a Norwegian in the 1980s, moved to Drammen and had several kids. She's back in the U.S. now, but had only good things to say. That was a huge comfort for me, hopefully it is for you too. I definitely have always been about meeting people from various cultures and getting to know all about them, but it's human nature to seek a little sameness and familiarity from time to time too. I'm curious, have you met many other black Americans in Oslo?

Hello Demetri,

I created a new thread with your posts on the Norway forum for a better visibility and for a more effective interaction with the other members. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Thanks !

Hello, I moved here to be with my fiancé, my fiancé has a lot of friends.
But as far as black Americans that I have met in Oslo..... None. But maybe I have seen a few maybe... We will see.

Why are you deciding to move here ?
To be honest with you if I had done more research, I would have learned the language before coming.

D

I'm also engaged and moving there to get married. Unfortunately my fiance doesn't have too many friends, so I'm bit on my own in that department. I think I can handle it though.

In time I'm sure you and I both will come across some black Americans. I'm really interested in hearing about their experiences in Norway, but I'm also interested in hearing about all expats' experiences.

I've tried to learn a few basics things like pronunciation and vocabulary, but I honestly think it's easier to learn a language when you're immersed in the country/culture. I noticed I picked up a lot more and understood a lot more Norwegian when I was actually visiting as opposed to when I'm at home trying to learn online or from a book. Have you found the Norwegian classes to be helpful?

I start the classes in the summer, but I have been using this software similare to Rosetta Stone, and it's helped me a lot.

D

Smart man! I picked up a book that teaches the basics (I've had it for about 2 years now), but have only worked with it off and on as it's much harder to learn alone and from a book than when I was Norway and heard Norwegian all around me.

I'm excited to take the classes as I think I'll be much more committed and have more opportunities to practice with others. Plus I've heard it can be a great way to meet other expats who are fairly new to the country.

dshivers77, can you tell me about the name of the software that is similare to Rosetta Stone, ?
im curious to see how it look like.

PinkM, what book you are using at the moment ?

The book I'm using is called Norwegian in 10 minutes a day, by Kristine K. Kershul. It's just a very basic introduction to common words and some grammar, but it's a start.