Hello Expat Blog!!!

Hello...

Truth be told I've been in Belo Horizonte for about 3 months now and I'm looking work to start off with. I am here on a tourist visa but hope to find a company to work for that will sponsor a work visa. I'm still adjusting and trying to settle into this new life and having a hard time but I really like it here so if anyone has an suggestions, or any pointers please share.  I am also looking for places to go with people like me trying to learn the language and live life to the fullest in Brazil.

http://www.earlylearninghq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Welcome-banner.jpg

Hello IndiaYasmein,

On behalf of everybody here at Expat-blog, welcome on board. I hope your participation on the blog will be both enjoyable and informative.

Just a couple of very important facts that you should be aware of:

1.  You cannot legally work or study in Brazil on a VITUR Tourist Visa or as a tourist on a Visa Waiver Program or Schengen Area Agreement stay in Brazil.

2.  If you are on a VWP or Schengen visit then you can only be in Brazil for 3 months (90 days), while sometimes the Policia Federal will extend the stay by a further 3 months (90 days) there is no guarantee that they will do so.

3.  Nothing prevents you from looking for a job while in Brazil as a tourist, but you can't work. If you do get a job offer it is possible to apply for your VITEM-V Work Visa while still in Brazil, through the Ministério de Trabalho e Empregos - MTE, but you must return to your home country and personally attend the Consulado-Geral do Brasil there in order to pick up the visa because they must put it into your passport.

Any further information you need just ask.

Cheers,
James         Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks for the information. I am looking to find work then go back and get the appropriate paper work. I want to dot my I's and cross all my t's. This blog has already been so informative and helpful. Thank you to all that participate here.

Hello India,

Welcome to BH! 

I would suggest checking out the not for profit organization Minas International to meet globally minded Brazilians and foreigners.  MI connects English speakers, living, working and doing business in Minas Gerais through business/networking and social events as well as opportunities to volunteer in community service projects and events. 

You can check out the website (www.minasinternational.com) and the Facebook page.  www.facebook.com/minasinternational.

Tomorrow (Friday) there is the montly Lunch Bunch get toether and on Saturday there is a photography workshop.  Additionally, next Tuesday (16 Dec.) there is the bi-monthly Trivia Night which is always packed and lots of fun.

Hope to see you at an event soon.

Maxine