Driving License requirement in Kuwait

Salary must be above 650/-
Minimum 2 years stay in Kuwait
Should have degree

so a new expat to Kuwait would not be eligible for a license given the 2 year requirement?  Whats the alternative?  How long can one drive with an international license?

Hi, international license is valid till you have ur Kuwait residency only, after being officially an expat in Kuwait u cant use it : )

bellow is all u need to know

To obtain a fresh Driving License: To obtain a driving license in Kuwait, you should first obtain a learner's license and pass the driving test.
Expatriates applying for driving license should meet the following terms:
Possess a university degree certificate (attested by the ministries)Should draw a minim salary of KD 600 per month Should possess a valid residence, having resided for at least two years in Kuwait, prior to applying for the license.

Generally, expatriates must meet the above conditions to be eligible to apply for a driving license. However, people in certain professions such as those mentioned below are exempt from these conditions. These include:
Drivers for public bodies and companies, domestic servants, doctors, pharmacists, advisors, judges, experts, public prosecutors, lawyers, university and college professors, teachers, social workers, laboratory operators, engineers, foreign women married to Kuwaiti men, foreign divorcees, widows of Kuwaiti men, foreign husbands, children of Kuwaiti women, Mosque imams, prayer callers, teachers of Holy Quran, librarians working in government authorities, journalists, nursing staff, x-ray technicians, managers and graduate accountants, professionals sports players and coaches, pilots, air-stewards and air-hostesses, students, graduate computer programmers, undertakers and those in-charge of burials, housewives with children or housewives with husbands earning more than KD 600 a month.
On obtaining the learners driving license, the applicant must go to the License Section in the Traffic Department of the governorate in which he or she lives. The documents to be submitted include:
PassportOriginal and copies of civil IDPassport-size photographsLetter of attestation by the Company if employedCopy of work permit from Ministry of Social Affairs & Labour, or Letter of Employment from a MinistryEye & Blood Test report
All these to be submitted at the License Section for registration for the driving test, along with stamped application form. Then visit the driving test center at the governorate's traffic department and fix a date for driving test by paying a minimal amount as booking fee.

To obtain a Kuwaiti Driving License on basis of home-country license:
Expatriates seeking Kuwaiti driving license on the basis of a home-country license, should present the following at the Traffic Department in the governorate in which he or she resides:
Passport and copies of pages showing personal details and residence stamp.Letter from sponsor stating the applicant's position in the country, and the complete residential address of the applicant.Proof of residential address like copy of tenancy deal or electricity billOriginal driving license from home countryPhotocopy of original driving license certified by applicant's embassy in Kuwait.Blood group certificate from local clinicEye test certificatePhotographs, as requiredAttested degree certificates

Those who are not permitted to obtain a Kuwaiti driving license on the basis of their national license will have to visit the license section at the main Traffic Department at Shuwaikh and obtain approval for learner's license.

Good luck

JJJjony wrote:

Salary must be above 650/-
Minimum 2 years stay in Kuwait
Should have degree

Hi, its 600 not 650 and the following points are not 100 % accurate :) it is not that simple and there are exemptions

Good day All

Has anyone noticed the ability to drive, understand and follow road regulations do not feature much in getting a license here.  Defenisve driving non-existant.  No wonder there is so much traffic issues.  Parking is another area that is neglected, along with respect for other road users, awareness on the road and other things that might be classed elsewhere as common sense.   

If anyone has a chat with the MoI or the authorities that issue driving license they should ask about the ability to drive. Essentially I handed in my UAE license and got a Kuwait license (after several visits to three different offices, over three weeks and being saved by an MBA - typical story).

M

I'm a British national just landed here, i have never held a UK license but passed my test in KSA and since then have been given Qatar and UAE licenses based on that, which I understood to be GCC regulations.

That's not possible here? How can they not adhere to GCC law? Its agreed by all members.

ironicaardvark wrote:

I'm a British national just landed here, i have never held a UK license but passed my test in KSA and since then have been given Qatar and UAE licenses based on that, which I understood to be GCC regulations.

That's not possible here? How can they not adhere to GCC law? Its agreed by all members.

To obtain a Kuwaiti Driving License on basis of home-country license:
Expatriates seeking Kuwaiti driving license on the basis of a home-country license, should present the following at the Traffic Department in the governorate in which he or she resides:

Passport and copies of pages showing personal details and residence stamp.Letter from sponsor stating the applicant's position in the country, and the complete residential address of the applicant.Proof of residential address like copy of tenancy deal or electricity bill Original driving license from home country Photocopy of original driving license certified by applicant's embassy in Kuwait.Blood group certificate from local clinic Eye test certificate Photographs, as required Attested degree certificates

Kuwait is different. :)

Good day Ironicaardvark

As JJJjony said "Kuwait is different."  Good phrase.

I had a UAE license and had it "exchanged" for a Kuwaiti License last October-November (took a few weeks).  Try again the rules, the interpetation of the rules and the application of the rules are "flexible" here. You might get lucky.  Get your company mandoub (sp?) to running it around for you or ask him if he knows anyone.  There are these guys to do the leg work for a small fee.   

If all else fails, when in the UK, get a license and return and reapply.

Mario

Driving isn't really fun here....car is a must.
I hold a US citizenship and couple of years ago I had to show:
1- A legalized college degree En/Ar "originals".
2- An embassy legalized valid US license "copy".
3- A  work permit copy/sponsorship "original"
4- Eye/Chest chest exam at the DMV section.
5- 30KD of stamps to get the license.

Hi All,

I have read these above regulations and was worried a little about the transport options available. However, I have also heard that one expat from India who is working abroad for the first time has got his license within 3 months of coming here. AFAIK, he is a analyst in a local bank and has not more than 3 years experience.

Is this possible and has anybody come across this ?

Thanks,
Anim