Driving license

Hi all,

How realistic is for me to obtain a drivers license.  I have a university degree and a position of a supervisor in my work permit. All together,  how long is the procedure and where do I go with my current license from my home country to do that?

Thanks,

Maja

You will need to first make application to obtain a drivers license and after that attach a copy of your current license, university degree and the work permit.
Then submit the traffic department in Jabriya, if you stay in salmiya. Depending on which place your are staying.

The current requirements are that you have a legal residency of at least two years, a salary which exceeds KD 400 and a university degree.

Now, certain professions are exempted from the above rules: professional athletes, sports staff, drivers or representatives, who ply their trade in any sports club, sports union or government sports body, technicians in oil-related bodies in the country and health, nursing and ambulance staff. With some luck you may fit into one of these.

Professions that will receive exemptions to two of the three conditions — the legal residency and salary limits — include judges, public prosecution members, chief justices, legal experts, doctors, pharmacists, engineers and assistant engineers, accountants, teaching faculty members, teachers, social workers, scientists, translators, librarians, company directors, journalists, TV presenters, public mosque imams and pilots and marine captains and their assistants.

Give it a try and see what happens.

P.S. Your national license is useless.

Use your international licenses

Mohammed al Adwani wrote:

Use your international licenses

careful... your fine driving with international credentials while under temporary visa's (commercial and tourist), but once you have legal "residency" in country, your international permits and licenses are no longer valid for driving in Kuwait... it's 'one' of the issues they look for from professional expats at checkpoints ...

Hello,

the conditions listed below.

Conditions For Expats To Get Driving Licenses ‘Amended'
KUWAIT CITY, Oct 26: The Ministry of Interior is said to have amended some provisions concerning conditions for obtaining a driving license in Kuwait for expatriates, reports Al-Watan Arabic daily.

The daily said, according Article 85: Expatriates, who apply for driving license, should have a university degree, a salary of not less than KD 400 per month, valid residence permit and fulfill certain conditions. This is in addition to they should have resided in the country for at least two years and meet the conditions of age and health in addition to others, subject to passing a driving test conducted by the General Traffic Department.

Those eligible are as follows:

■ Non-Kuwaiti women married to Kuwaiti men including widows and divorcees provided they have children.

■ Non-Kuwaiti men married to Kuwaiti women and have children.

■ Bedoun holding valid security cards.

■ Students - provided they are registered at any of the universities or applied institutions in Kuwait.

■ Expatriate housewives who have children and provided their husbands are eligible for driving license. This does not include drivers and company representatives.

■ Members of the diplomatic corps.

■ Professional in sports federations, clubs and government sectors.

■ Drivers and representatives who hold valid legal driving licenses issued by their countries or any other country.

■ Domestic workers who have been working for a period of not less than 5 consecutive years in a similar capacity provided they change their profession to driver.

■ Technicians working in the oil fields.

■ Undertakers

■ Nursing staff, physiotherapists and prosthetic limbs technicians.

■ Medical emergency technicians and paramedics, lab technicians and radiologists.

Those who are exempted from the ‘length of stay' condition and the stipulated salary stipulated in above include:

■ Judges and members of the Public Prosecution, the advisors and experts.

■ Teaching staffs of the universities, faculties and Applied Institutes.

■ Managers of companies and institutions, journalists and media personnel.

■ Doctors, pharmacists, engineers, assistant engineers and accountants.

■Teachers and social workers.

■ Researchers, judiciary persons, translators, librarians and imams working in government agencies.

■ Sports trainers working at sports federations and clubs and government agencies.

The licenses of drivers and representatives will be cancelled upon thier cancellation of their residence permit, or should there be any change in profession based on which the driving license was issued. The person will then not be eligible to apply for driving license for at least two years.

several anomalies within that article (85) as shown... I sure many exemptions are 'routinely' administered ...

I personally know multiple drivers without degrees in the oilfields... I know multiple drivers who don't make 400kd... I have personally had multiple licenses over the years with never a two year non-elagability, and have never spent a total of two years with consecutive residency within the country... ...fresh back and in the process of acquiring another ... hmmmm

and the concept that these ideals could be enforced in a "practical" manor within specific 'professional' corridors of this country is ... well ... on second thought ... I'll try not to be offensive on a public forum.  lol

Yes.

My degree is engineer of computer science. Where do I go to do it then?

Thanx!

majanova wrote:

Yes.

My degree is engineer of computer science. Where do I go to do it then?

Thanx!

Here:
https://goo.gl/maps/3I4DA

Thanx!

Ive been here since June 2014. Had UK licence attestes, translate, stamped etc etc.. But still no licence. Must have degree, been resident for 2 year and have manager in your permit job description.. Think you may be able to get a Mr Fix it and drop some money but not 100% sure... Best of Luck

I am from UK & got my driving licence similar to article below. Not sure how many other nationals can obtain the same way, I know USA can. Good luck

Kuwait Driving License for British citizens in Kuwait
Posted in Kuwait forum 29 Oct 2013, 09:58
Dear fellow UK citizens in Kuwait
I hope the below can help anyone looking to convert a UK driving license to a Kuwaiti Driving License as I know I was struggling to find information online. I must thank Chris who provided me useful information though and I got mine done a few days back. A lot has changed in the past few months and I believe the below update can help:
Requirements:
PLEASE NOTE THAT FOREIGN AFFAIRS KUWAIT DOES NOT ACCEPT TRUE CERTIFIED COPY STAMPS FROM THE BRITISH EMBASSY IN KUWAIT. PLEASE DO NOT WASTE TIME AND MONEY IN GETTING THE DOCUMENT COPIES CERTIFIED FROM THE EMBASSY
Documents legalization from UK:
UK driving license (Counter part & Photo card) has to be to be (legalized) attested by:
1- UK based solicitor
2- Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) in UK
3- Kuwait Embassy (London) UK
- Legalized documents/copy would then need to be translated into Arabic
- Arabic translation along with the legalized documents from UK would need to be attested by Foreign Affairs Kuwait and Ministry of Justice Kuwait
Documents to submit at Traffic Department - Shuwaikh:
- Signed Driving license application form by your work/sponsor
- Copy of work permit
- Copy of UK passport
- Photographs (2 are required)
- Arabic translation along with legalized documents from UK
- UK driving license original
These are submitted at the Kuwait traffic department in Shuwaikh and you will be given a date (usually within a week) to come back and collect your documents. I did this by hand to the Head of Dept. If your application is approved it would have all the necessary stamps including one from the Head of Traffic department
Your approved application would then need to be taken to the local traffic police department of your area that you reside in and processed. The process at local station would involve:
- Approval from department head
- Eye test and results stamped by the doctor on the application form
- Stamps 40 KD on the application
- Logging details on the system by the staff
- Final signature from department head once details are logged
- License issued same day
It is a must to take your company's messenger (mandoob) if you are working for a company here and it is more easy to get everything sorted out through them as well as they know the process at these departments.

Try this. It worked with my UK licence.

Kuwait Driving License for British citizens in Kuwait
Posted in Kuwait forum 29 Oct 2013, 09:58
Dear fellow UK citizens in Kuwait
I hope the below can help anyone looking to convert a UK driving license to a Kuwaiti Driving License as I know I was struggling to find information online. I must thank Chris who provided me useful information though and I got mine done a few days back. A lot has changed in the past few months and I believe the below update can help:
Requirements:
PLEASE NOTE THAT FOREIGN AFFAIRS KUWAIT DOES NOT ACCEPT TRUE CERTIFIED COPY STAMPS FROM THE BRITISH EMBASSY IN KUWAIT. PLEASE DO NOT WASTE TIME AND MONEY IN GETTING THE DOCUMENT COPIES CERTIFIED FROM THE EMBASSY
Documents legalization from UK:
UK driving license (Counter part & Photo card) has to be to be (legalized) attested by:
1- UK based solicitor
2- Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) in UK
3- Kuwait Embassy (London) UK
- Legalized documents/copy would then need to be translated into Arabic
- Arabic translation along with the legalized documents from UK would need to be attested by Foreign Affairs Kuwait and Ministry of Justice Kuwait
Documents to submit at Traffic Department - Shuwaikh:
- Signed Driving license application form by your work/sponsor
- Copy of work permit
- Copy of UK passport
- Photographs (2 are required)
- Arabic translation along with legalized documents from UK
- UK driving license original
These are submitted at the Kuwait traffic department in Shuwaikh and you will be given a date (usually within a week) to come back and collect your documents. I did this by hand to the Head of Dept. If your application is approved it would have all the necessary stamps including one from the Head of Traffic department
Your approved application would then need to be taken to the local traffic police department of your area that you reside in and processed. The process at local station would involve:
- Approval from department head
- Eye test and results stamped by the doctor on the application form
- Stamps 40 KD on the application
- Logging details on the system by the staff
- Final signature from department head once details are logged
- License issued same day
It is a must to take your company's messenger (mandoob) if you are working for a company here and it is more easy to get everything sorted out through them as well as they know the process at these departments.

What bout new requirements: degree holder, manager in job title, 2 year residency etc.. Is this still a requirement. because I had all the details above from UK licence complete with tanslation, stamps, original docs etc and my company said it was rejected.

I had to use my HND, as my US degree is not recognised by Kuwait.

I had HNC Mech Eng along with C & G (1, 2 & 3) all translated, attested, stamped and still no joy...But this was my Company saying it was rejected..... Did they tried or not, I dont know. They never asked for my original driving licenc and docs when they applied...!!!!!

Conradt wrote:

What bout new requirements: degree holder, manager in job title, 2 year residency etc.. Is this still a requirement. because I had all the details above from UK licence complete with tanslation, stamps, original docs etc and my company said it was rejected.

Conrad, if you read my post you will notice that engineers are exempted from the residency requirement.

Yes I read that in requirements but I am not an engineer hence the question

Hello. I will move to Kuwait in September to work as a faculty member for a university. As far as I understand, I can get a Kuwaiti driver's license once I have a residence. However, I fear that my wife will not be allowed to get a Kuwaiti license because she will not be working. Am I right?

Also, during my first month in Kuwait the university will provide transportation, but then I will be on my own. Can I lease/rent/buy a car even before I get my residence? Or do I have to wait until I get my residence?

Hello and welcome to the forum.

That is correct, she won't be allowed to drive. Welcome to the "KSA Lite".

Yes, you can rent a car without the residence but make sure you have your International driving license made as it is a requirement for the most rental agencies. Also be prepared that there is no "grace period" to get the kuwaiti driving license once you get your residence. In other words, once you get your Civil ID you won't be able to drive for months because that is how long it will take to get one made.

Thank you for your answer. That's bad news on my wife's account. We'll have a newborn baby when we arrive in Kuwait and it would be nice if she could drive. Anyway, I don't like it but we will have to rely on taxis I guess.

Too bad that "dealing with taxi" opens up a while new world of pain. :)

You will manage, the whole thing is just a bit of a PITA.

heres the thing; once your wife gives birth (inshallah - god willing) she can apply for a licence based on being a house-wife. housewives are granted driving licences.

however, this is dependent on a number of factors including:
1) your "title" as per your work permit/ residency.
2) your nationality (i think, dont quote me on that one).
3) baby's age - hopefully someone can shed some light on when exactly the mother can apply for the licence.

however, should she get a job, under the new law, which was put into effect, i think, she would lose the licence.

so there is some hope at the end of the tunnel, and some questions, hopefully someone can help us clarify :D

Well, they said that mothers of "school going children" are eligible, whatever they mean by that.

And because of that law where they take your driving license if your status changes, we have decided just to give up and stick a white flag out. They win, but ultimately it will be their loss.

From my experience (wow, I already have an experience in Kuwait :) it also depends where you go with a knowledge of rules.
I went first to Farwaniya traffic dept. and they buzzed me off as it seamed like I knew up to date info but they don't wanna hear about it. So I just marched to another traffic dept and did not let them to buzz me off, I was so annoying until I did not managed to speak with general manager. And guess what, he knows up to date info and I'm getting my license :)

Congratulations, in Kuwait persistence is a key to success, but sometimes it can wear you out.

I am assuming you got the permission to take the test, which is yet to follow?

No. I don't have to take any tests. Just getting a license as per my bacchleor of science enngineer degree :)

Wow.

you need a good Mandoob to go to Traffic Department - Shuwaikh & AS another post states.be insistent.

Its like this or find someone with Wasta, its better than money

This looks painful.

I'm hoping that (when i get there) my accounting degree will help!

dear MS20,

make sure your certificate is translated and certified/attested. second, make sure that when you get a job in your field that your title on your work permit is accountant, and yes u do get concessions as an accountant.

ask the managers in ur compoany to talk to the kuwaity owner or kuwaity sponser in ur company    or if u know ant kuwaity people   they know how to make it

Okay guys,

I am one of those who were able to get the driver license without any major issues.

Before I move to Kuwait, I had....

1) Certified, translated and attested all of my diplomas by the Kuwait Embassy at my home country.
2) Certified, translated and attested my driver license by the Kuwait Embassy at my home country.

While I am in Kuwait, I did...

1) As soon I received my Civil ID, I asked for a Salary Certificate and Work Permit from my employer.
2) I also had a copy of Blood Type test (which I asked a copy while I needed it for Civil ID.
3) Prepared a rental contract for the residence I am staying.

Once I had all the documents at hand..

1) I went to Ahmedi Trafic department where I live.
2) Once I received this "conversion" request document from the photocopy room I went back to the university for document approval.
3) Once the HR approved my document I went to General Traffic Department (Shuwaikh)
4) At Shuwaikh, I received approval from everyone I needed.
5) I went back to Ahmedi traffic to get eye test, paid 12 KD conversion fee. Talked with the "Grand Mudir"  and received his approval. Waited in one line to get approval for eye test. Had the eye test. Waited in same line again to finalize the approval process. Took pictures on spot. and wadaaa... I had my driver license.

P.S.1. I am working as an assistant professor at a university. So, when I am asked about my job I just state "Muderris" and it works very well.

The entire process took about 2 visits to Ahmedi, and 1 visit to Shuwaikh.

Make sure to have your license as soon as possible. The police checked me twice during night trips to airport. They were kind and did not even check my documents, but you will never know what might possibly happen.

Positive attitude is a must at all steps during the process! Basic Arabic will also help.

majanova wrote:

From my experience (wow, I already have an experience in Kuwait :) it also depends where you go with a knowledge of rules.
I went first to Farwaniya traffic dept. and they buzzed me off as it seamed like I knew up to date info but they don't wanna hear about it. So I just marched to another traffic dept and did not let them to buzz me off, I was so annoying until I did not managed to speak with general manager. And guess what, he knows up to date info and I'm getting my license :)

I know its been sometime, but can you please also PM the names (of the "place of another traffic department" and the "General Manager/Mudeer" you met there) - Stuck in a situation very similar to you for getting my driving license, despite being eligible under law and need help :)

How about for sales executive? Is that profession also exempted