Recommendations for carpenters, blacksmiths, and tailors in Marrakech?

Hello everyone,

Can anyone recommend, from personal experience, good carpenters and/or blacksmiths (metalworkers) in Marrakech?  I have been looking for someone to do various kinds of woodworking and metalworking jobs at my home in the Medina, and I have hired several over the past 3 years;  but I have always been disappointed in the quality of the work or the length of time it takes to get anything done.  I don't want to have to wait three months to have 4 meters of mamouni made, when I was promised 15 meters in one month!  (I realize that is likely typical for Morocco, but there must be some reliable, professional tradesmen in the city.)  I want to find someone I can have an ongoing business relationship with, for current and future needs;  but so far there is no one I would hire a second time. 

I am also looking for someone who can do custom sewing of fabrics for the home:  not clothing, but things like mattress and cushion coverings, curtains, and upholstery.  I have hired someone once and been ripped off, so I will not go back to him again.  I don't want to go to one of the high-end shops that do interior decorating at a high price, I just want to find someone working on his own or in a small operation, who I can go to and order things from on a regular basis--someone who will deliver what he promises in a reasonable time, at a reasonable price.

Please don't send me offers of your own services or the services of your company, your friend, or your family member...this is not to doubt anyone who says they are a trustworthy professional, but from now on I want to rely ONLY on recommendations from expats living in Marrakech who have had direct experience hiring that individual. 

Thank you in advance!

Jen

hello...
i know some carpenters..nd some tailors..but not in marakech ....i know some ppl here in rbt

landlord615 wrote:

hello...
i know some carpenters..nd some tailors..but not in marakech ....i know some ppl here in rbt

Please keep to the point.

She is looking for people in Marrakech and ONLY wants recommendations from expats, which is not surprising.

hello

most  useful  way  to get your  staff  done  is  to  pay 
by  parts , don t never pay  the  mouney  in advance
if  you  do so you ll never  get  your  required staff
at  time ,  hope that  this  is helpful  for  you 

lucky  luke

Right by my shop in Assif B (Grand gueliz), there's a 'tapissier', where they cover sofas and chairs with fabrics, very hard working, efficient, good quality work. The boss if Mwakhsee.

Next to him there's a carpenter called Hassan, he did the bed I'm sleeping on in two or three days.

I've known these people for years now, and they're my neighbors, so I have no hesitation in recommending them.

If you want to find them, follow the instructions to my shop, they're right next door to us, you can't miss them.

http://fulbridge.com/access

Thank you so much!  That sounds perfect.  I will definitely be visiting them both!

Hello jen my brother in law is absolutely  Fantastic carpenter and works with all manner of wood his prices are great and his work is beautiful lives in the medina in Marrakech if you need anything message me I will be over next week I am English he sends lots of pieces here too me  so stunning

Aicha

aicha2015 wrote:

Hello jen my brother in law is absolutely  Fantastic carpenter and works with all manner of wood his prices are great and his work is beautiful lives in the medina in Marrakech if you need anything message me I will be over next week I am English he sends lots of pieces here too me  so stunning

Aicha

Thank you for your helpful input. Did you read down to this part of the OP's message?

"Please don't send me offers of your own services or the services of your company, your friend, or your family member...this is not to doubt anyone who says they are a trustworthy professional, but from now on I want to rely ONLY on recommendations from expats living in Marrakech who have had direct experience hiring that individual. "

How very judgemental of you and disrespectful you've just robbed yourself of one of the finest wood crafts men I've ever known he's even worked for the king...

With this attitude you will always find the wrong people shame on you

Aicha

Aicha, thank you for your recommendation.  I would like to look into it and see your brother in law's work, so I will probably be in touch with you when I'm there in a few weeks.

Despite Laduqesa's correctly pointing out the last part of my original post, I am happy to have your suggestion in this case.  The reason I said what I did is that I thought I'd get a better outcome relying on the recommendations of people of Western cultural backgrounds who are likely to share my expectations, and have similar reasons for being satisfied or dissatisfied, in commercial transactions.  That was long-winded, but I hope my meaning is clear.  Anyway, as you are of a similar cultural background, your recommendation holds weight for me, even though it is for a family member.  I just wanted to clarify.

Again, thanks!

aicha2015 wrote:

How very judgemental of you and disrespectful you've just robbed yourself of one of the finest wood crafts men I've ever known he's even worked for the king...

With this attitude you will always find the wrong people shame on you

Aicha

Hi Aicha.

I'm sorry, I agree 100% with the OP. Indeed, I'd go further and say that recommendations from expats married to locals are even more unreliable than these self-advertisements that come unsolicited and so on.

A recommendation from an expat about a Moroccan family member cannot possibly reflect the reality of actually hiring someone, going through the bargaining process, fixing timescales, arranging payments, legalising contracts (if the work is to be substantial) seeing and approving his subcontractors, supervision of work, overrun clauses and so on. What the OP is asking for are reliable recommendations from expats who have been through all this and were satisfied, just like the one she got from one contributor upthread. I'm afraid "Oh, he's fantastic" just doesn't cut it.

Are you a particular expert in wood? How would you know that your brother-in-law is one of the finest in the country? Someone has told you this, I assume. Please do not believe everything you are told. In addition you are recommending on someone else's say-so, not your own depth of knowledge. As for him working for the King, did you check him up at the palace? Actually go and have a look there? At least seen photos of him with the KIng when he was "working for" him?  If not, this piece of hyperbole can be safely discounted. Furthermore, probably 100s of 1000s of people can say the same as your brother-in-law if they did any work at all in a residence or even government buildings, that they "worked for the King". Unless you have seen a photo of the King WITH your brother-in-law, if, indeed, he even worked in an official building, the claim is superfluous.

Hi JenB

You posted at exactly the same time as I did! I see your post and understand your reasoning. I am, however, going to let my previous post stand as it is though, as I think what I wrote is still valid.

We will be there till Jan first after that you would need to contact him through arrangement through myself

I do not need to justify his work too you I import many of his pieces for people and yes I know a lot about quality carpentry about as much as you do about being oppositional not wasting any energy on your negativity you have too much time on your hands and are clearly unhappy

Bslama

Not a problem

Er...

I am a little confused as to what was written in response to what posts, but first, I am sorry for any unintentional offense I may have given anyone, and second, to those who have correctly understood my words and intentions, I am glad to have that understanding.  It's very easy to have misunderstandings, but I sincerely believe that what I originally wrote was not disrespectful of anyone.  Certainly no disrespect was intended.

Please have a good evening (or night, or morning, or whatever time it is wherever you are)!

Jen

Not your fault jen I'm new here and I realise now that people are having problems with locals however my family are not like this

Good evening

Aicha

JenB wrote:

Er...

I am a little confused as to what was written in response to what posts, but first, I am sorry for any unintentional offense I may have given anyone, and second, to those who have correctly understood my words and intentions, I am glad to have that understanding.  It's very easy to have misunderstandings, but I sincerely believe that what I originally wrote was not disrespectful of anyone.  Certainly no disrespect was intended.

Please have a good evening (or night, or morning, or whatever time it is wherever you are)!

Jen

It's getting late here, so I'm winding down. I, in my turn, apologise to you if I misinterpreted what your original post was saying. I do remember thinking that it was one of the most cogent and sensible that I had read for a long time and that it was not disrespectful to anyone at all. My other interventions were simply made to steer people back to your requirements and seem to have stirred up a hornet's nest.

Have a lovely day.

Hi everybody,

Can we please calm down here?

Let's try to provide useful information to the initiator only here please

Thanks

Priscilla

------------------

@ Aisha2015 > I also advise you to recommend your brothers in law service in the Marrakech business directory please.

Thanks

Priscilla :)

Hi laduqesa,  no need for apologies, I know you had grasped my intent and appreciated your clarifications for others!  Things do have a tendency to get heated here sometimes...but I've also found good advice and resources on this site.  You have a lovely evening too!