Best net service? and my Viettel

Must be at least 5 different companies selling plans and I'm hoping some of you might share you experiences with some that you've tried. I've been using Viettell, so I'll share my experience on that.

At 100,000d. the sim for phones, or in my case pocket modems, is cheap, so I started with that and got 140,000d. credit for the net plan. Dialed in with my phone to hook up, moved the sim to the pocket modem and the net came right up. The deal was for about 650 mb. fast and then just basic (slow) for the rest of the month.

Its kinda wierd, though it does work. Different processes seem to have thier own band widths. Torrents can come in at 25kb. all day, seldom more, yet can always crank out another 20 or so of upload without effecting the other processes like the browser or the download. For the browser's part, its fast for American stuff and slow as the hills for Russian. For example, Gmail can open quickly, but Yandex mail often take a full half hour! And RT.com just doesn't come or even connect. After experimenting with different browsers, Firefox didn't seem to be the culprit as the others seemed similarly limited. In the end, I learned that I can search using Google or Yandex for rt pages and other impossible to open stuff and copy the urls to my Elink terminal browser and read the stories there, so text pages are available and even fast and at least I can read the news again.

I can say that if you love Google, Facebook and this site, basically American sites, its probly' just what you need. All American media I've tested has been fast and easy. Just not be what I'm looking for though.

I'm most curious to know if these tics are Viettell only or common to all Viet net services. If another card is better, I'd surely get one and change, but no use buying one if it'd just be all the same. Just be nice not to have to jump through hoops to read a paper.

So how good are these other companies? Anybody try 'em?

I guess you are talking about ADSL. A friend who is a heavy Bittorrent user who subscribes to VNPT.

It's not unusual for him to hit 800 kb/s downloading. This varies by time of day (on the VN end) and the number of seeders/leechers on the far end. Fortunately many of the heavier users go to bed around 23.00H, freeing up the load.

Some providers are plain terrible, such as one area in Phu My Hung, they have no money, have locked up several buildings for service (a loose term for them) and will be out of business when the big VN InterNet rework happens, soon.

VN is proposing that the number of providers be drastically reduced, classed either as regional or country wide.

Technology and 'topology' play a big part in speed. Quan 7 VNPT has it's distribution point in NHA BE where their DSLAMs (Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer) are, which is on an island on the east side of the Quan. The VNPT South VietNam control centre is on Hem 5, Nguyen Thi Minh Khai near Nguyen Binh Khiem.

So many things affect speed including condition of the cable and distance from the DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer). You can read more about DSLAMs here.

I think it's fair to say no service provider has the same service across their service area. I have a summer place near Dak Lake in DakLak and we get 20mbyte+++ service - way out in the sticks. The DSLAM is mounted on a telephone pole at the roadside.

School children get a real good deal on radio data - so if you know a student ...

Sound like you got the whole bw for yourselves at that time.

you can switch to Vinaphone network. after 600M hight speed .speed will slow down to half but still works better than the other network

I've been living in d7 for about a month now ans I can only testify by what I've experienced so far.

The internet is soooooooooo damn slow. I love anything and everything jaitch says but internet in vietnam sucks monkey balls.

I'm getting at best 400kb download speed. Some will say its good, but seriously, r u from India?

It's less than 10 percent of the speed in Korea, you can google it, it's basically adsl service from us from like 2002.

But I don't get fiber in my building, so I guess slow turtle service is ok.

As much as I love vietnam, it's so backwards and behind, it ain't even funny. Yeah I personally love getting no napkins in restaurants and love paying 2000 dong for a wetnap.

Jenneroni wrote:

I've been living in d7 for about a month now ans I can only testify by what I've experienced so far.

I'm getting at best 400kb download speed. Some will say its good, but seriously, r u from India?

But I don't get fiber in my building, so I guess slow turtle service is ok.

As much as I love vietnam, it's so backwards and behind, it ain't even funny. Yeah I personally love getting no napkins in restaurants and love paying 2000 dong for a wetnap.

Those are fighting words, lady. "Vietnam, it's so backwards" - it has more fibre optics laid and more ADSL on a percentage basis than the States!

I think you said you are living on top of an office building, when the offices fill up I am sure that they will run the fibre down your road from Nguyen Van Linh. VNPT, FPT and Eastern Communications all have fibre under NVL.

As for napkins - it's user pay at economy restaurants. Be careful, some restaurants stick 'finger food' out on a dish hoping you will 'nibble'. Eat one and you've bought the dish and they are expensive!

You have great restaurants near where you live. All along NGUYEN THI THAP and on NGUYEN VAN LINH running up from NTT on the left going towards Quan 4.

Dont forget, you are sharing your bw with lots of torrent users  during office time. office hours is not an optimum stretch of time for enjoyable web surfing, from what I experience

Thnaks for the replies. Big help. Now I know there are those that are worth it (cuz' their cheap anyway) and I flat got the wrong one. 400k. is fine for me. I do like the torrent on, but tend to like fringe stuff that has few seeders and comes slow anyway. I'll be shoppin' cards now.
   By the way, Viettel seemed faster with my Windows partition than my Linux. Much faster. It was pulling in updates at 250 while surfing on Windows. Never seen that before either. Very strange sim.

Thanks again.

When I left Holland 11 years ago I had a 2MB/s cable modem connection which wasn't even the fasted available - so I stopped comparing the service and speeds a long time ago.

I lived in Thailand from 2004 - 2011 and internet was both in Bangkok and Chiang Mai - pretty reasonable, as in reliable and going at a constant pace. No matter whether I chose a 2Mbit, 4Mbit or 8Mbit package, overseas connections would hardly ever rise above 1024kb. --> the same for ADSL connections in Vietnam, the extra MBits some more expensive packages offer do very little for downloads coming from 'the west' - if your downloads are popular and frequently requested from within Vietnam then speeds become surprisingly fast since you're just pulling content from local cache servers.
(try downloading a bootleg record from bob dylan...)

For what it's worth I will list below the different experiences I had with FPT, VNPT and VIETTEL ADSL internet:

#1 FPT all the way!

Why?

Privately owned multinational IT company - operating in 14 countries
- helpdesk with real technicians! they know their stuff and speak English, if not, they will take your number, find someone who does and call you back - they actually keep logs of previous calls/conversation made with them.

Their connections are stable and FPT sees the international link as a crucial part of their packages (most foreign owned companies choose FPT and private customers are using those same lines)

(while Facebook was still omitted from the ISPs DNS  - FPT signed a million dollar deal with FB to handle all the VN ads for them)

2nd choice VNPT
VNPT - state owned - will always try to keep the router password secret to prevent us from accessing the router - just once I found that their MEGA ADSL package used 'MEGAvnn' for both the username and password.

-helpdesk personnel has clearly been trained to answer general questions only, and anything that doesn't follow their 'script' must be escalated to always unavailable 2nd tier staff - sometimes a log is kept, but staff writes only what THEY thought the issue was, not the issue the customer had explained....

In Dong Nai I thought VNPT and VIETTEL were similar in speed and reliability (frequent line drops).

In Lam Dong (Dalat) VNPT was constantly cutting out, and over the course of 18 months I changed hotels 3 times just to 'upgrade' to Viettel ADSL... (only saw FPT once but hotel was too far from the school I worked for)

In DakLak Buon Ma Thuot - VNPT was REALLY fast and reliable! and it was always up! - this was at my apartment located on the premises of the Int. school I worked for (maybe special VIP package:)

last choice for ADSL
VIETTEL - state owned operated by ministry of defence - router/username just the default for the router model - my first choice for GSM because of best coverage, but last choice for internet:

- no English speaking staff at all - website is seriously unorganized and outdated, and ofcourse no English - even google translate struggles to translate some VN websites because of all the extra scripts, frames, tables and flash banners

I'm in Bien Hoa at the moment and was using the 12345678 password protected wifi-ap of one of the neighbours - unfortunately their SSID changed recently to "CHINA_HACKER" and a second SSID appeared with name "CHINA MUON MAN" -->something like that-->they got hacked or so but apparently don't use their internet often because they haven't done anything about it
- so I'm using 3G myself  - first I used MOBIFONE - which had in october a deal of 2.4GB for 30.000 vnd -->usually you pay 70.000 for a month and get 600MB 3G speed and then it goes to 10kb/s for the remainder of the month for free...you can top it up for 30.000 to get an extra 500MB on 3G - you can do this as often as you'd like, as long as your main 70.000 package is still within its month.

I just checked the VNPT prices and they were so much more expensive? I don't understand that actually - so I haven't tried them yet.

I changed to VIETTEL just to see if they had more actractive packages: When I buy their 70.000vnd sim, I get 650MB on high speed - then it will go to 2G  a lower speed but much quicker than the 10kb/s from MOBIFONE...I do have to pay 9.76 vnd for every 50KB though - and this will rapidly eat away the credit I had left and could have used to buy a new package, their website info is so outdated and because I haven't yet found a way to quickly check my remaining balance while keeping my card in my usb modem...(something that works really well with MOBIFONE)

Cancelling and activating a new package cost you sms credits (ridiculous really) so buying 60.000vnd credits won't be enough to activate a 60.000vnd package... and both MOBI and VIETTEL will eat your remaining credits in no-time.
(although mobifone gives you internet for free with most packages - if you still have credit they automatically decide to give you a faster browsing speed until your credit is completely depleted - then you will go back to the slow 10kb/s) - so best is to always try to spend all credit on a package and not leave anything for them to take without warning

I just bought a new VIETTEL sim so that I get again 650MB for free and 9.76vnd for every 50kb after - another option was to get a package for 70.000vnd which would give me 600MB and free slow internet for the rest of the month....
I reckoned buying a new sim was the better option unless you care much for 10kb/s ....

Sorry for my unorganized messy writing :) I'm tired, and need to get away from this laptop for a while - I hope you can use some of the info

Cheers
Win

3G Prices:
VNPT:  vinaphone.com.vn/services/mobiinternet#cuocphi-tab
VIETTEL: 3g.vietteltelecom.vn/Dich-vu-3G/D-Com-3G/Gia-cuoc/Gia-cuoc.html
MOBIFONE: mobifone.com.vn/portal1/en/services/home/internet/dichvu3g/fast_connect_gc.jsp